PDA

View Full Version : Kids going to Nike Tennis camp...any advice?

Redflea
05-08-2006, 06:47 PM
My boys (13 and 15) are going to a Nike Tennis Camp this summer...would appreciate any advice from our younger members who've gone to a Nike or other tennis camp recently, or parents who's kids have gone. If it was a Nike camp, bonus points for info on your comments! :)

Looking for things like "I never would have thought of bringing X along with me, but I was really glad I did." or "Here's how I got the most out of camp..." or whatever "aha's" you may have experienced.

Thanks.

tennismike33
05-08-2006, 07:50 PM
My kid went to a camp and developed a bad case of blisters. There are two schools of thought, use thicker socks, or have better conditioned feet. Baby powder would be a good addition. A friend of mine is fanatical about foot care, nails and calusus are trimmed at least a week before playing in a tournament, never the night before.

Also, get your two campers prepared to go to the camp and familiar with the schedule. Take a look at the schedule and run them through a day or two similiar to the proposed schedule. Many campers aren't ready for the level of intensity and amount of balls that they will hit in a given day.

TennisParent
05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
My boys (13 and 15) are going to a Nike Tennis Camp this summer...would appreciate any advice from our younger members who've gone to a Nike or other tennis camp recently, or parents who's kids have gone. If it was a Nike camp, bonus points for info on your comments! :)

Looking for things like "I never would have thought of bringing X along with me, but I was really glad I did." or "Here's how I got the most out of camp..." or whatever "aha's" you may have experienced.

Thanks.

Sent my daughters (15 and 11) to Nike Tennis camp in San Diego last summer and they had a blast, they made friends from all over the world and improved their games. Don't know where you are located, but we have nothing but praise for Bill Scott and his staff at Nike's UCSD camp. Another of her friends went to Nike's UC Santa Barbara camp and was not as positive, so there seems to be some differences between different Nike locations. All depends on the camp director, so ask around and don't be afraid to email Nike with any questions. Coach Scott spent hours individually coaching my older daughter on her serve and she came back with a completely different and much better action than before.

Make sure they have enough racquets with fresh string. Nike gives you a pretty comprehensive list of necessities, but a disposable camera is nice so that they can record pics of their new friends.

Redflea
05-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks very much for the advice, folks...the blister comments made me smile, as my younger son has a tendency to wear his shoes until they are falling apart and resist getting new ones mightily... :)

Good to hear about the UCSD camp, that's the one we selected! Thought the kids would like having an opportunity to be near the ocean. It's great to hear that the UCSD camp also has such a good director.

To keep things simple, we were going to send one racquet w/each kid, and an extra set of strings for each of them...they aren't string-breakers normally (neither has ever broken strings before they were ready to be replaced). I assumed they would have re-stringing capability at the camp...is that correct?

I'm so excited for them...wish I could shrink down and go instead! I'd love to spend a week at a tennis camp minutes from the ocean!! :D

TennisParent
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks very much for the advice, folks...the blister comments made me smile, as my younger son has a tendency to wear his shoes until they are falling apart and resist getting new ones mightily... :)

Good to hear about the UCSD camp, that's the one we selected! Thought the kids would like having an opportunity to be near the ocean. It's great to hear that the UCSD camp also has such a good director.

To keep things simple, we were going to send one racquet w/each kid, and an extra set of strings for each of them...they aren't string-breakers normally (neither has ever broken strings before they were ready to be replaced). I assumed they would have re-stringing capability at the camp...is that correct?

I'm so excited for them...wish I could shrink down and go instead! I'd love to spend a week at a tennis camp minutes from the ocean!! :D
Yes, they do have restringing services. I don't know how much they charge though. What week are you guys signed up for? My girls want to go again this year. I am envious also, but the upside is that the wife and I will have some time to ourselves and probably rent a condo on the beach for a few days yeehaw. Some of the other Nike camps have bigger name, former pro instructors, but Bill's background and passion is coaching succesful high school tennis which is exactly what the Dr. ordered for my kids. Also, it is a nice experience for the kids to stay at an actual college campus in dorms and get a taste of what college life will be like in the years ahead. Good luck!

Redflea
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
They're going in June...my wife has the dates written down somewhere, but I don't remember the exact timing. I think in the middle of the month. We're also going to take some time to do some "couple" stuff while the kids are away, so I have to admit this is a win-win situation. :)

I'm especially happy to hear they're staying in the dorms...as you say, that should be a fun sample of what it's like to be away at college.

300Gkid
05-13-2006, 02:43 PM
i going to go to a nike camp as well this year and would like to know about peoples experiences.

DreinPA
05-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Two summers ago I sent my kids to Nike camp and while the overall experience was positive we resolved not to do it again. Now, admittedly they are not stellar players, though my daughter is playing varsity tennis. For their part, they were coached by college athletes, not program directors.

My (then) 15 year old said she would rather have spent the same amount of money on intensive private sessions with the local pro. My son was just thrilled to be away from home. They were two to a room, (the girls lucked out an got an A/C dorm), and had all the experiences you would expect at sleep away camp. Highlight was a trip to Laser tag.

Redflea
05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Did your daughter say what specifically she felt was lacking in the camp? Was the coaching not up to her expectations...

They're looking forward to them getting some serious tennis time in...normally they don't get to play every day. Will be interesting to see how they stand up to it...we're going to increase our tennis frequency leading up to camp to help get them ready.

DreinPA
05-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Exactly. I think she was expecting to learn something different and what she got was more of the same, just from a college kid she didn't know. I think he didn't have, in her mind, the credability an adult would have had. And so why did we make her drive 300 miles away from home when she could have stayed home and done it? :(
Firstly, because we wouldn't have done it. None of the local clubs run an intensive camp style program. And no one is going to spend that kind of money getting 2 hour privates daily for two weeks with their local guy- even if they do, the kids still need other kids around to drill with.
And because the set up worked out too perfectly for us. She and her brother were able to attend the same camp, so technically they weren't alone; it may have been 300 miles from us but it was 20 minutes from their grandparents- who picked them up for the next week's vacation.

No doubt their play improved. Was it superior instruction or just exposure? I think it was exposure. You really need to hear from someone who has attended your specific camp. I think there may be variation from location to location. "Nike" was the umbrella brand name, for a variety of sports camps, tailored to different sports.

At no time did we feel it was a waste. Just not worth repeating, for their level of play.

Redflea
05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks...your feedback is very helpful. Your reasons for choosing the camp are similar to ours, getting the immersive experience, access to lots of kids to drill with, and on a schedule/scope that our club doesn't match. They have some summer tennis camps, but they are more recreationally focused, and my kids complained that the level of tennis was too inconsistent.

Plus spending a week at a major university is a great opportunity for them, especially for our 15 year old. He's just starting to take some of his SAT tests, and getting a small taste of what a university looks like should put something of a real face of what he spending time studying for. :)

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
05-22-2006, 01:45 PM
how much do these camps cost?
I was wondering if I want to go in the future

Redflea
05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
It was about $1,000 for the Nike camp.