PDA

View Full Version : Best player racquet for spin?

luirozzi
06-30-2004, 01:47 PM
My question is only about racquets still manufactured.

tenboz
06-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Take a look at the Völkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus, it is a spin machine.

jayserinos99
06-30-2004, 04:04 PM
The Pro Staffs have really good spin potential with their open string patterns.

gmlasam
06-30-2004, 04:05 PM
My question is only about racquets still manufactured.Without a doubt, the Prince Original Graphite. It was first made back in 1977 and is till made to this day. Its 27 years old!! There something must be right about this racquet for being around for so many years.

The POG mid has a 14x18 string pattern, which is probably to most open string pattern of all currently made racquets. This gives the POG extremely high spin potential. I suggest you demo it out.

thejerk
06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Add a little weight to hps 6.1 and you have automatic spin

jayserinos99
06-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Who can forget the Yonex RD-7?

Coda
06-30-2004, 06:23 PM
HPS 6.1, RD-7

Drizzt
06-30-2004, 06:27 PM
RDX 500 Mid and Midplus.

topspin king
07-01-2004, 08:27 AM
I am totally agree w/ gmlasam. By POG's 14X18 string pattern and light head. I've play w/ it for 10+ yrs. I can easily whip it up to generate topspin in every shot.

kreative
07-01-2004, 09:07 AM
POG mid, rd-7

Bo
07-02-2004, 07:40 AM
POGs, PS6.0., PS6.6, Secret 04 MP. Actually POG OS and Secret 04 MP are exceptional!

mctennis
07-09-2004, 06:19 AM
The motion of the person ( low to high) using the racquet gives the ball more spin than any racquet alone. The racquet alone does do much IMHO.

Chanchai
07-09-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm not a POG owner, but out of all the racquets I've used, I do have to admit that it's the first racquet I think of when the subject of spin come up.

Both topspin and slice were ridiculous (in a good way for the most part) on my strokes. I certainly had fun with all of it as far as ground strokes were concerned. Also, it's a very comfortable racquet with a really nice feel.

I can't comment much on the full spectrum, but if you mostly play from the baseline and you love spin, the POG is the first thing I'd recommend based on what I've used and I guess based on my strokes.

I think the Pro Staff racquets are extremely well balanced and can do everything really well, but I wouldn't say that any of them have given me the ridiculous amounts of spin the POG has. However, slice was wonderful with the Pro Staffs. BTW, the PS racquets I've tested out the most was the Tour 90 and the 6.0 Original. I tried out the PS ROK and didn't like it personally, but it certainly has its fans. Also, they were all stock (not customized, and that includes the POG).

I love the spin I get on my Dunlop 300G, but I think it's more of a personal preference in how much spin I want. It's not insane topspin, but I can really hit some divers with it anyways and place them near the net and deep with ease. But again, I think it's a personal/niche thing. Slice is very moderate on the 300G for me, however. I feel that the other racquets (PS and POG) easily own in the slice category. So I don't really recommend the 300G unless for some reason it just suits you so well when you try it out. But because it is the racquet I use, I felt it's the most honest I can write about so I felt I should mention it here.

Oh yeah, something to note... On the PS models I mentioned and the POG, both give you traditionally heavy balls which is a wonderful bonus if you like spin imo. That heaviness is something I do feel I miss out on when not using a racquet with a high swing weight.

To throw in something that might get attacked... I tried the LM Prestige for awhile, and it grew on me. I was able to hit some really nice heavy balls with really good (but not ridiculous) spin with that racquet and it was comfy in feel. Purely on the basis of spin, I still recommend the POG. But in the small time I demo'd the LM Prestige, which feels way different from i.Prestige to me, it felt like a more balanced alternative to the POG, if Pro Staffs or the Wilson feel isn't your thing.

-Chanchai

tennisfan21
07-09-2004, 05:29 PM
The rok gave me a lot of spin..especially on the forehand.

Kick Serve
07-09-2004, 07:41 PM
POG mid... Look for a moderate flex with an open string pattern.