PDA

View Full Version : Babolat PD OS - what to try to alleviate elbow and arm pain?

vxb
06-30-2004, 07:18 PM
I've recently switched from Wilson HH 5.3 OS to Bab PD OS. I never had any arm problems with any racquet and I did try plenty of them. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the babolat one. I really started to like how the racquet plays but I could barely finish today's match due to a pretty sharp pain in my elbow. Wrist and shoulder feel somewhat stiff too. The racquet's strung with babolat vs touch 16 at 57 lbs. I've also noticed that the grip is larger than 4 5/8 and this is the first racquet I feel more comfortable playing without any overgrip. I would really like to keep the racquet but what should I try? Different strings/tension?
Get the same racquet with a smaller grip? Take off the grip and play with an overgrip only? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Huff
06-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Before you take off the grip and blindly add another to change the size, go to an experienced pro shop and have your grip measured. Then, get him to either resize it or show you how to resize it. If that doesn't help, my advice would be to get a more arm-friendly racket. I use a ProKennex 5g because it is the easiest on the arm. I have tried a few others to get a little more pop in my volleys, but none are near as comfortable. My opinion--I want to be able to play often, without pain as opposed to adding a little pop on my volleys and serve, but not be able to play as much and having to put up with elbow pain.

mary fierce
06-30-2004, 09:09 PM
The Bab is light and stiff, a recipe for elbow disaster. Get rid of it.

ssjkyle31
06-30-2004, 10:02 PM
When you played with the PD did you have a lot of frame shots? Because of the the PD has a different balance point, I think your timing was a little off. I would suggest you practice hitting with the new racket, volleys, serves and groundstrokes. Most casual players try to play their weekend warrior game with a new racket with out understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the new racket. They think the new racket is like there previous racket. In your case, the old racket is head heavy and the new racket is headlight. Your HH 5.3 is 3 pt head heavy and weighs 10.2 oz. The PD OS is 2 pt head light and weighs 10.3 oz. You can see how that can affect your timing slightly.

Since the balance of the two rackets are different. You can have the balance altered the PD by adding some lead tape to the head.

Another factor is your tension. I bet you had your PD OS strung at the same tension as your HH 5.3 OS. Sometimes you have to play around with the tension to get the right tension for you. Drop the tension of your strings by 2-3lbs.

I only make these recommendation with the assumption that you were playing your regular tennis buddies not some heavy ball power hitter.

Good luck, and have a speedy recovery :lol:

Rackethead
07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
I had one of those -- injured my wrist playing with it the first day at 62 lbs, restrung at 57, took about 9 months for my wrist to feel better. Restring immediately at 53 lbs, (48 if a constant pull machine), replace grip with a wilson gel grip or gamma gel grip, add some lead tape to handle and head .... or just get another racquet (what I did after the above). However I think I overreacted and got a Head Prestige Classic :)

Skinny Dip
07-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Don't confuse the PD with the PD OS. The former caused incredible arm pain, but the OS is a whole different animal. I've notice no arm pain at all from my PD OS.

The Babs XEL premium strings give a nice dampened hit and great control - for about 3 weeks until you need to replace them. I'm looking for a string with similar performance but that hold tension better.

K!ck5w3rvE
07-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Go for a paintjob.