PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! CANNOT EXTEND ON GROUNDSTROKES

Printer099
03-02-2004, 02:30 PM
I seem to not fully extend my arm(s) on my groundstrokes. Becuase I used to be a baseball player I am used to hitting inside pitches that are closer to my body. The transition to tennis has still got me in the habit of not being able to comfortable move my feet in a posiiton where I reach out for the ball and I still hit the ball close to me. I think part of my problem is I don't always step straight, but mostly I seem to always be getting to close to the ball and when I try to be farther away from the ball I am too far....Either way I am having troubles.. Is there anything I can do to time my footwork and strokes to hit the ball not so close in??????

Thanks

Bungalo Bill
03-03-2004, 02:51 PM
A lot of things can be happening with your judgement of the ball. It could be your "bouncing" too much causing your eyes to bounce around in your eye sockets which impairs your focus.

It could be your turning your head too much (a closed stance usually does this) and the bridge of your nose blocks your back eye which reduces 3D judgement on the ball.

It could be your brain is still developing its ability to track the ball properly as you get a jump on the ball - which requires practice and drills that will allow you to hit on the run while trying to make short-step adjustments in your feet to balance yourself and get your hips into the ball.

Add a post and explain further what you think your doing.

Bungalo Bill
03-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Also,

I dont know your age (actually it doesnt matter) but have you had your eyes checked out recently?

ho
03-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Your problem is not your vision, is not you hitting too close. is not hitting too far. It in the extension of the hitting shoulder. and hitting elbow.
If you hit too far to get an extension, you will have to do rotation of your body then at a slit second, you have to do a linear push of your arm. that not easy. average person can only do one thing in a slit second. either you rotate or you push. if you do rotate alone, you will not have extension. if you do just linear, you will hit only with your arm, and lost power.
You will have to rotate first then extend your shoulder out naturally without any intention. How? Let stand near a wall. rotate your body and shoulder. with a pencil mark on the wall where your shoulder go farest. Now press your left shoulder to the wall, then rotate. See where the mark now? it almost 4 inch longer. Why? the center of rotation use to be your spine, now at you left shoulder. the radius of rotation longer therefore you will extend your shoulder deeper into the shot.
So when you start your swing, do not wave your left hand. Just drop the left elbow to you rib case and stay there. This motion is also can be applicable to you slice back hand. FREEZE LEFT SHOULDER.
To add more extension to your arm, point your hitting hand at right corner intead of back fence. upper arm paralell to the ground, the heavy racket on the way down will help you extend more either you like or not with a clear linear path. If you point to the back fence you will have tendency to have a circulare path.