PDA

View Full Version : Racquet leather grips

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Does the leather replacement grip with an overgrip really feel that much better?

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Anyone even done this to their racquet?

The Ripper
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
It seems to depend on the racket for me. On some rackets the leather grip with a wrap has enough cushioning to keep from giving me blisters and/or callouses. On other rackets the leather is just too hard, even with an overgrip, so I then use a thin synthetic grip and an overgrip. The main advantage to the leather is a better more direct feel from the handle; but if it hurts, a synthetic can give almost as much feel but without the pain!

Lakoste
05-11-2006, 05:20 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41547 - one of many threads on this topic

wrong forum too

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Which leather grips do you like out of Babolat, Wilson and Head? And come on man, enough with that "wrong forum" stuff. Wraps do have to do with "racquets." As it says on the racquet forum "Talk anything racquets."

diredesire
05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Moved to the correct forum...

I think that leather grips give a much more harsh, "natural" feel, more direct to the arm. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual playing the racquet. Sometimes leather grips, although typically thinner (initially, at least) build up a grip becuase leather doesn't conform to your hand as much as a synthetic grip will. It also depends on the overgrip used, a supergrap is going to feel much more cushioned than a tournagrip, IMO.

As far as grips, i like those with adhesive backings (not all do).
Fairways are typically regarded as the best, but they've been "discontinued" and are no longer made. They cost an arm and a leg, too.

Babolat makes a nice grip, the natural color bleeds onto overgrips, though, so you may want to steer clear of it if you reverse overgrips and re-use.

I don't really have a preference as far as company, I like grips that can handle extended handles, since i typically play with extended racquets. TW used to carry ProKennex leather, which i thought did the job for a fair price (it was like $8).

The great thing about leather is you can keep using it and using it and it doesn't "die" or become so squished/worn that you can't use it anymore. Great times :)

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Moved to the correct forum...

I think that leather grips give a much more harsh, "natural" feel, more direct to the arm. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual playing the racquet. Sometimes leather grips, although typically thinner (initially, at least) build up a grip becuase leather doesn't conform to your hand as much as a synthetic grip will. It also depends on the overgrip used, a supergrap is going to feel much more cushioned than a tournagrip, IMO.

As far as grips, i like those with adhesive backings (not all do).
Fairways are typically regarded as the best, but they've been "discontinued" and are no longer made. They cost an arm and a leg, too.

Babolat makes a nice grip, the natural color bleeds onto overgrips, though, so you may want to steer clear of it if you reverse overgrips and re-use.

I don't really have a preference as far as company, I like grips that can handle extended handles, since i typically play with extended racquets. TW used to carry ProKennex leather, which i thought did the job for a fair price (it was like $8).

The great thing about leather is you can keep using it and using it and it doesn't "die" or become so squished/worn that you can't use it anymore. Great times :)
When you say harsh for leather grips do you still mean that for the leather grips with overgrips on them? I've heard that the leather plus an overgrip gives the ultimate in feel. What do you think of that combination? And how does the babolat leather compare to wilson leather?

snoflewis
05-11-2006, 06:18 PM
i use wilson leather grips raw (w/o overgrips) and i like it better than synthetic grips. i can't use overgrips or i'll get blisters....but the only downside to leather grips is that when it's cold and you leave the racket out...the grip will be hard as a rock and have no tack.

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
i use wilson leather grips raw (w/o overgrips) and i like it better than synthetic grips. i can't use overgrips or i'll get blisters....but the only downside to leather grips is that when it's cold and you leave the racket out...the grip will be hard as a rock and have no tack.
Why do you get blisters with an overgrip and not without one, with leather?

Lakoste
05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
i have tried a bunch of leather grips, I have a fairway on my main racquet, but they dont make those anymore. On my backups I have wilsons, luxilons, volkl, babolat, rpny, and I think i have one yonex. After the fairway, its a somewhat tie between rpny-luxilon-volkl (each have the +/-). Wilsons arn't bad, but definatly not the best. If you're worried about it increasing you grip size too much, rpny's leather grip is thin(not their synthetic leather, their real leather).

If you do get a leather grip and dont like it with an overgrip, try it with plain leather, you'll most likely get blisters at first, but those will go away.

BTW I play without an overgrip most of the time.
EDIT: I have a head leather too, not a huge fan, but I've seen worse

The Ripper
05-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Tournagrips give me blisters because they have almost no cushioning and a rather rough texture. Lately I've been using the Luxilon overgrips TW sells, they are the best I've tried so far; soft and cushy, yet still plenty of feel and they last pretty long (2 or 3 sessions, i.e., about 4-6 hours). Obviously I haven't tried everything out there, but I do like the "grippier" ones that also have some cushioning. I've tried Fairway and Wilson leather grips and find them both to be pretty stiff, especially after getting wet from perspiration! Are there leather grips that are soft and/or stay soft? Can you use leather conditioners make them mold to your hand? Just wondering. Currently, I am happy with my Wilson TL grip and the Luxilon overgrip. Best of both worlds. Straight leather grips so far have given me some pretty big callouses on the inside of my thumb and middle two fingers. Ouch! Not worth it. :cool:

snoflewis
05-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Why do you get blisters with an overgrip and not without one, with leather?

honestly...im not sure. every hour i played, i'd get a new blister, so i got sick of the overgrips and just stuck w/ the leather. it was a lot better afterwards and i havent gotten a blister since (except a couple times when my hand rubbed excessively against the buttcap and it started bleeding internally and then popped like a blister).

Head_Rocketman
05-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Out of these overgrips-Babolat Pro Team or VS Original, Wilson Pro Grips or Head Xtreme Soft- which do you guys recommend the most?

Lakoste
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
wilson pro, but then again i havn't tried the xtreme soft

TheSnowMan
05-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Leather is simply awesome. With or without overgrip.

snoflewis
05-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Out of these overgrips-Babolat Pro Team or VS Original, Wilson Pro Grips or Head Xtreme Soft- which do you guys recommend the most?

head xtreme soft is thick compared to wilson pro. i would just stick w/ wilson pro or yonex supergrap since they're cheaper in reels.

tonysk83
05-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I love leather grip+overgrip combo. Gives you the good feeling of the racquet handle and bevels, but the overgrip is cushioned and tacky.

Sixpointone
05-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I use Leather with an Overgrip as it really does help me feel the Bevels on the Handle.

Mind you, I started playing some years ago and used a Leather Grip then, so I am rather used to it.

As for the exact brands, I use an RPNY Leather Grip and a Wilson Pro Overgrip in White.

TheSnowMan
05-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I replaced the stock grip on my PD with a leather (Wilson) w/ Tourna Grip, and it felt much better.