PDA

View Full Version : What's my backhand grip?

Ripper
05-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Ok, what I use as a backhand grip is what some people call a semi-western backhand. Others, call it a western backhand. Others, call it an extreme-eastern backhand. In order to explain what it is, imagine a semi-western forehand grip. Without letting go of it, turn it to the backhand. That's the grip I use. I copied it from some pros, who have backhands I love. I'm trying to immitate them. Anyway, what's the most commonly used name for this backhand grip?

Edit: After reading EMestizo's reply, I need to clarify that I'm refering to a 1hbh.

EMestizo
05-12-2006, 06:32 AM
I would say for a 2-hander, an eastern would be the most common. I tried using a semi-western grip on my backhand side when I was young, but I never could develope it. Once I switch to an eastern grip, it was a lot easier to hit.

Ripper
05-12-2006, 06:38 AM
I would say for a 2-hander, an eastern would be the most common. I tried using a semi-western grip on my backhand side when I was young, but I never could develope it. Once I switch to an eastern grip, it was a lot easier to hit.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I use a 1hbh (one hand backhand)...

Furthermore, some people can't understand how I can hit my 1hbh top spin shots so effectively with such an extreme backhand, but it wasn't always like that. When I started using it, it didn't click right away, but I'm stubborn and kept on with it, until it started to come together. I admit, in order for it to be the weapon it can be, I need to have time to set it up. When I don't, I'll use other alternatives.

Mahboob Khan
05-12-2006, 07:03 AM
It's name is: Wrist behind handle grip or Extreme Eastern Backhand grip. Kuerten has this grip for his single handed backhand.

wyutani
05-12-2006, 07:04 AM
what is extreme eastern backhand eh??? how can such a common grip be extreme????

brucie
05-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I like to call it extreme eastern, though its not that extreme really. At first I thought you meant u use western forehand then turn over for backhand that is pretty extreme i tried doing it but it seems silly really!

Ripper
05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
what is extreme eastern backhand eh??? how can such a common grip be extreme????

Check the e-mail I sent you. I think, an extreme eastern backhand is the same one you use (according to your sig).

Ripper
05-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I like to call it extreme eastern, though its not that extreme really. At first I thought you meant u use western forehand then turn over for backhand that is pretty extreme i tried doing it but it seems silly really!

Wow, now you're confusing me. What's extreme about a western fh turned around to a bh??? Wouldn't that just be a simple "plain jane" eastern bh???