PDA

View Full Version : what does "meat and potatoes" tennis mean??

wyutani
05-12-2006, 06:29 AM
i heard agassi is using this tactic...what is it eh? :confused:

kevhen
05-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Staying with your strengths, which for Agassi is taking the ball early, hitting deep, and making his opponent do alot more running that he does. It's about being consistent instead of going for flashy winners.

Ripper
05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Staying with your strengths, which for Agassi is taking the ball early, hitting deep, and making his opponent do alot more running that he does. It's about being consistent instead of going for flashy winners.

Pusher? :p

thejackal
05-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Deep down the middle

ATXtennisaddict
05-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Pusher? :p

Agassi is a pusher,yes.

kevhen
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Taking the ball early and hitting to the corners and making your opponent run does not sound like a pusher to me. That's an aggressive baseliner playing under control and not going for too much too soon.

Dan007
05-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Agassi is a pusher,yes.

What the hell are you talking about. Andre hits clean winners from both wings and punishes the ball.

Saito
05-12-2006, 01:15 PM

+

He will not go for DTL shots unless it's a short ball, so he'll continue to play high percentage shots till he gets the short ball. That's usually when he'll finish the point or get passed if he's playing against higher tier players (i.e. Fed, Safin, and Nadal, or people who like to hit passing shots like Hewiit or Nalbandian)

LowProfile
05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
What the hell are you talking about. Andre hits clean winners from both wings and punishes the ball.

He was kidding. I think.

Bungalo Bill
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
i heard agassi is using this tactic...what is it eh? :confused:

Hitting crosscourt, playing percentage tennis, and running your opponents to death.

FiveO
05-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Hitting crosscourt, playing percentage tennis, and running your opponents to death.

I agree...and to include high first serve and return percentages.

35ft6
05-12-2006, 05:01 PM
What BB and Five-O said. In general, it's a workmanlike, disciplined brand of high percentage tennis. The opposite of flashy, hot and cold, go for broke tennis. On a hot day, a player with big shots can hit a meat and potato game off the court, but the meat and potato player knows that in the long run, his game will prevail more than not (if he's Agassi, Davydenko, Norman, or Chang... people that sort of played that type of game).

And it's interesting how Agassi started winning more when he stopped playing with so much "talent." The Agassi we know today is the ultimate meat and potato player, and as talented as he is, he didn't start winning until he learned to NOT implement all his talents, and limit his shot choices. Seems almost counterintuitive when you think about how people harp on Roddick for not developing MORE shots. Agassi had to do the opposite to become a legend.

In the world of music, a meat and potato player is somebody who plays "in the pocket," as opposed to going off on strange improvisational tangents with crazy time and key changes.

In basketball, a meat and potato team might be the Detroit Pistons, solid teamwork, blue collar work ethic -- tenacious defense, working hard for every rebound, fighting for each loose ball. The opposite of run and gun.

And so on.