PDA

View Full Version : Going To Wimbledon:Advice

Jonnyf
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I am going to go to Wimbledon this year and im looking for advice on queing, tickets you know all of the important areas. I will probably be going in the first few days of the championships and ofcourse theres no need for hotel, food etc. as my dad works/lives in london so we have a flat and know all the best spots in Londres.

Thanks alot everyone

Jonnyf
05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Omg sorry i forgot to say please, honestly ill be ever so greatful

jamauss
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Have some strawberries and cream for me and tell me if it's really tasty or not :D

Jonnyf
05-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey you know i will, ill also take lots of photos and post them here

jamauss
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM
That would be awesome. If you're able to take hi-res pics of center court I'd put that as my computer desktop wallpaper. :)

Jonnyf
05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Ill honestly try me best to get top pictures, Id love to see even if just in practice my favourite player Roddick. I'll also take vids etc.

tennis_nerd22
05-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I am going to go to Wimbledon this year and im looking for advice on queing, tickets you know all of the important areas. I will probably be going in the first few days of the championships and ofcourse theres no need for hotel, food etc. as my dad works/lives in london so we have a flat and know all the best spots in Londres.

Thanks alot everyone

phhhh for a minute i thought it meant you were playing in the juniors there. i was like whoa can i have your autograph :D :D

jackofromalsager
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
dont go to wimbledon go the french !!!

brucie
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
yeah go to france and que to get in! Haha

Jonnyf
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
dont go to wimbledon go the french !!!

Infact i was going to go, BUT my history trip to FRANCE and belgium begins the day of the french open final we were getting ready to book tickets and flights when we found out

Mikael
05-13-2006, 01:05 PM
You're so lucky, going to Wimbledon the first few days...

Anyway, here's my advice:

The best thing to do IMO is to go for ground passes the first few days (until the second round is over). What I used to do was to get in line for the tickets at around 8AM. Yes, it's a pretty long wait. If you get in line at 8 you should be able to get inside the grounds by 11. Play starts at 12 on outside courts so you have plenty of time to get nice seats on whichever court you wish to start your day on. Don't take too much time: unless you plan to watch unknown players, by 11.30 the best outside courts will be pretty much full.

Other than that, there's not much to say... it's a terrific experience if it doesn't rain. Don't forget to check out the practice courts.

Around 4PM maybe if you walk around Centre court or No1 court you may get lucky and run into someone who has stadium tickets and is leaving, and is willing to give them to you or sell them for cheap. It's happened to me a few times anyway. Beats queuing up for used tickets for 1 hour (opportunity costs are very high!!)

Oh, also bring your own lunch/snacks, unless you're very rich it'll be heartbreaking to see the prices on display at the food courts.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions as I consider myself a "Wimbledon veteran" eheh

Jonnyf
05-13-2006, 01:44 PM
You're so lucky, going to Wimbledon the first few days...

Anyway, here's my advice:

The best thing to do IMO is to go for ground passes the first few days (until the second round is over). What I used to do was to get in line for the tickets at around 8AM. Yes, it's a pretty long wait. If you get in line at 8 you should be able to get inside the grounds by 11. Play starts at 12 on outside courts so you have plenty of time to get nice seats on whichever court you wish to start your day on. Don't take too much time: unless you plan to watch unknown players, by 11.30 the best outside courts will be pretty much full.

Other than that, there's not much to say... it's a terrific experience if it doesn't rain. Don't forget to check out the practice courts.

Around 4PM maybe if you walk around Centre court or No1 court you may get lucky and run into someone who has stadium tickets and is leaving, and is willing to give them to you or sell them for cheap. It's happened to me a few times anyway. Beats queuing up for used tickets for 1 hour (opportunity costs are very high!!)

Oh, also bring your own lunch/snacks, unless you're very rich it'll be heartbreaking to see the prices on display at the food courts.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions as I consider myself a "Wimbledon veteran" eheh

Thanks alot, man thats really helpful i was planning on waking at about 7 to get there 8, Ill be in my dads flat in Dolphin Square Westminster so its right next to Picadilly

borisboris
05-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Check out the Tennis Museum-quite unique indeed. Very cool experience.

s_andrean
05-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Thanks alot everyone

What day are you goin? i'm gonna try to go most days, I could do you a few favours with the tickets if you want...
I live in London btw, so ask me anythin u want.
Stefano

Clive Walker
05-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I was lucky enough to come out of the club draw for ticket options this year and will have second choice on the 5 pairs that we have. Cannot wait as last year I only saw one match as a minute amount of rain continued to fall throughout the entire day. I think Centre Court on the 2nd monday looks like a good option as I'm sure that the 2nd Friday (Centre) will be the first to go.

It's a great day out -although take a pack up.

Jonnyf
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
What day are you goin? i'm gonna try to go most days, I could do you a few favours with the tickets if you want...
I live in London btw, so ask me anythin u want.
Stefano

Omg, that would be exceptional.
:p:p Ill text or give you a buzz as soon as i get somemore dosh on my mobile (STUPID 3G now im bak onto Pay As You Go for now :cry:

shroom
05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I second the poster who recommended getting a ground pass if you're going early in the 1st wk. You'll be able to enjoy a whole variety of different matches that way. For outside courts, I'd advise you to check the OOP for matches on Ct18? (the one by the television centre) and Ct ? (the one that has the high seating by the ticket re-selling booth at the end of Aorangi Hill) for matches featuring good players who did not make it onto one of the show-courts. Last year, I went on the 2nd Monday or Tuesday and still got to see Ancic-F.Lopez (the latter is surprisingly good on grass) on an outside court.

Also, I agree that you should bring plenty of your own refreshments/food. Apart from the cost, the food at Wimby is nothing to write home about, and you waste an awful time queuing for them. Bottled water, fruit salads, etc from M&S is a much better option. Do not carry them in a separate shopping bag though. I saw some people having their provisions confiscated at the gates.

One plus side to the queuing outside Wimby is the friendliness of the other people in line and the freebies you get (usually courtesy of some newspaper). I have a great Bjorn Borg tote-bag (from the Guardian) and a mini-tennisball-shaped radio from last year.

If you can make it to London earlier, you should definitely check out the Queens tourney. A big proportion of the crowd is tennis-ignorant (ie, attending for social reasons) and there are plenty of returned tickets at 4pm which the tournament re-sells for 5 pounds or less. You shouldn't have to queue for more than 30mins.

Have fun! Wimby is great. I just love walking around the grounds. And lying on Aorangi Hill at the end of the day, sipping G&T's or wine with friends and cheering on the last match on Centre Ct (on the big screen) is bliss.

ps: If travelling by tube, get off at Southfields. For making your way back to central London, there is also the option of a big red bus leaving from the carpark at the end of the day.

Ash_Smith
05-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Jonny - Roddick is a real nice guy but if you want a chat wait till after his practice! We take a group of kids from the club each year about a week before Wimby starts and get to meet alot of the players who are there to practice - it's a great time because they're all more relaxed than in tournament week. Good bet when you get in is go straight to court 3 and get a seat at the top of the stand - that way you can turn around and look over the top of court 2, in the first week especially it hosts loads of great matches!!! Otherwise on a groundpass go for courts 3, 14 or 18. Or just wander around and watch anything that takes your fancy!!!

Jonnyf
05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks alot guys. Transport aint ever gonna be a problem we have a flat in london so im down their constantly.Im going to go first day maybe second aswell and get a ground pass unless i can get better.!!!! If im early down to Court 3 i think im going for right down low, However if im lucky and theirs a crap match on 3 and a seat up top ill go and check out 2. IM so excited as ihave 3 weeks of school before i go away to France and Belgium for History with my school im back for maybe 3 days!! before im away down to my flat and Wimbledon

Semaj
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I have 'won' tickets for firt wednesday this year, Centre court! Last year I went up after school and queued for ages- got in about 5, and got ticket re-sale tickets for the 5 set rusedskimatch !!!

Jonnyf
05-28-2006, 03:58 AM
I have 'won' tickets for firt wednesday this year, Centre court! Last year I went up after school and queued for ages- got in about 5, and got ticket re-sale tickets for the 5 set rusedskimatch !!!

MAN, that would have been sweet. Ive seen Rusedski play but Joachim Johansson would have been AWESOME to see play

dubsplayer
05-31-2006, 04:57 AM
It's not a real Wimby experience unless you tent. ;-)

My one piece of advice is to wear comfortable shoes (especially if you're queing for a few days in a row and if you end up watching a lot of matches on courts 4,5, etc. One row of benches so you end up standing a lot.

charliemonkey
06-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I am going start queing either sat or sun I go every year I have been queing for wimbledon for about eight years now. You will have a great time the atomsphere is fantastic for queing.

CHARLIEMONKEY

cfitz
06-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Wasn't sure whether to post here or start a new thread.

Myself and my brother are travelling to Wimbledon from Ireland for the Championships. We arriving on Sunday night at the end of week 1 and we will be leaving on Wednesday night during week 2. We have no tickets.

I would appreciate any advice on when to start queueing / where to go / what to do etc. Neither of us have been to Wimbledon or any other tennis tournament before.

Thank you,
Cormac

luke_1983uk
06-07-2006, 06:04 AM
last year i went i won tickets for court number 2 and that was amazing at one stage during the day i checked out the program and saw that my fave coria was on court 18 at the same time we were suposed to watch navratilova on our court no.2 we chanced leaving 2 for 18 and within 10minutes of waiting in the que to see coria on 18 we were in, and the atmosphere there was amazing,
so my shout for you's without tickets go straight for court 18 and you wont be dissopointed the view from the stand was great too,
i was lucky enough to get 3 pairs of wimbledon tickets this year all for court 1
first wednesday, second monday, and the second saturday the later not being so good, but still great

really looking to wimbledon this year have a good time Jonnyf & cfitz
remember court 18

cfitz
06-07-2006, 06:40 AM
cheers luke

Judging by last year, all the singles games on the days I'll be there will be on Centre Court or Court One. Anyone know what sort of queueing is necessary to secure a ticket for these courts (days 8-10 - Mens and Womens quarter finals and Womens semi finals)?

thanks,
Cormac

dubsplayer
06-07-2006, 08:28 AM
cheers luke

Judging by last year, all the singles games on the days I'll be there will be on Centre Court or Court One. Anyone know what sort of queueing is necessary to secure a ticket for these courts (days 8-10 - Mens and Womens quarter finals and Womens semi finals)?

thanks,
Cormac
You'll have no chance of getting tickets to Centre or Court One without tenting out overnight. I've gotten in the queue as early as 4 am and besides getting a grounds pass the only show court I've been able to get that far back in the queue was for Court Two. But tenting is quite fun, except when it's ******* rain. You also are only able to choose one court to get a ticket from. They will come around and ask you and you must pick.

Another thing which no one has mentioned. Be sure to go to the Dog and Fox in Wimby village after the matches. Never know what players you'll see hanging out there.

I also second re Court 18. Great court to watch matches on. i's imagine the second week there are quite a few dubs matches being played there.

cfitz
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the tips dubsplayer.

I'll queue overnight if necessary. The Monday of the second week would be my favourite day to get to one of the show courts but I'd only be able to make it to the grounds for around midnight so that might be too late?

Queueing overnight and not getting a ticket would be a bit horrible!! I'd love to get to Centre Court one of the days.

dubsplayer
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the tips dubsplayer.

I'll queue overnight if necessary. The Monday of the second week would be my favourite day to get to one of the show courts but I'd only be able to make it to the grounds for around midnight so that might be too late?

Queueing overnight and not getting a ticket would be a bit horrible!! I'd love to get to Centre Court one of the days.

Midnight is pretty late to get in the queue for those tickets, imo. We always put our tent up about 7 before the first Monday and then right after the last match after that (or even earlier depending on how who was scheduled for the show courts) so I'm not sure if midnight would get you a CC ticket or Court One. Could depend if there's a Brit left in the draw. I only know I wouldn't chance setting up that late.

I haven't tented since Pat stopped playing so it's been a few years And thankfully I don't need to see any particular player so badly anymore that I'll ever have to again either. Am just getting too old to sleep on the ground. :(

cfitz
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Midnight is pretty late to get in the queue for those tickets, imo. We always put our tent up about 7 before the first Monday and then right after the last match after that (or even earlier depending on how who was scheduled for the show courts) so I'm not sure if midnight would get you a CC ticket or Court One. Could depend if there's a Brit left in the draw. I only know I wouldn't chance setting up that late.

I haven't tented since Pat stopped playing so it's been a few years And thankfully I don't need to see any particular player so badly anymore that I'll ever have to again either. Am just getting too old to sleep on the ground. :(

Maybe I'll try to get into the grounds on Monday and do the overnight queueing for Tuesday and/or Wednesday from early the evening before. Monday and Wednesday are womens matches so there probably won't be British representation at that stage.

I figure seen as we're coming all the way from Ireland and it's costing a bit it's worth the effort to try make it to some of the big games.

Thanks for all the tips so far, I'd be lost without them.

cfitz
06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Monday and Wednesday are womens matches so there probably won't be British representation at that stage.

Actually, looking at the Wimbledon site it appears that Tuesday is womens quarter finals and Wednesday is mens quarter finals. I was basing it on last years schedule.

raftermania
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Jonny, my best advice is to bring me :mrgreen:

luke_1983uk
06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Actually, looking at the Wimbledon site it appears that Tuesday is womens quarter finals and Wednesday is mens quarter finals. I was basing it on last years schedule.

where did you find last years schedule? cant find it anywhere

thanks

cfitz
06-08-2006, 01:47 AM
I found them here after a few searches on google:

http://sify.com/sports/tennis/fullstory.php?id=13885681

Jonnyf
06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Jonny, my best advice is to bring me :mrgreen:

Ok, get to london and we can que overnight.!!!

raftermania
06-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Mate, you know I want to, but I can't! I'll see you there one day.

Jonnyf
06-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Mate, you know I want to, but I can't! I'll see you there one day.

Yeah, and some day ill goto the masters in Canada and we can meet .!!

Lleyton Hewitt
06-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Man i so want to go Wimby this year....i usually go with my uncle but he is going on holiday on the 1st weekend when we usually go!!! Thats 2 years in a row he has gone on holiday during wimbledon. Through my experience if u want to get show court tickets i suggest u queue up from 4am. Last time i went i got there at 4 and i was given a card that had a number of 424 on ii i think something like that. I was offered court 1 or 2 tickets, they give u a wristband to put on while in the queue to guarantee u get the showcourt ticket. I went for the court 2 ticket because Roddick was on it. Court 1 was ferrero and rusedski. If any1 is going down tell me if the strawberries and cream taste good still and if the fish and chips are £4.50 (rip of). Oh also the Aston Martin parked in the front of the house near the light brown fence.

cfitz
06-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Man i so want to go Wimby this year....i usually go with my uncle but he is going on holiday on the 1st weekend when we usually go!!! Thats 2 years in a row he has gone on holiday during wimbledon. Through my experience if u want to get show court tickets i suggest u queue up from 4am. Last time i went i got there at 4 and i was given a card that had a number of 424 on ii i think something like that. I was offered court 1 or 2 tickets, they give u a wristband to put on while in the queue to guarantee u get the showcourt ticket. I went for the court 2 ticket because Roddick was on it. Court 1 was ferrero and rusedski. If any1 is going down tell me if the strawberries and cream taste good still and if the fish and chips are 4.50 (rip of). Oh also the Aston Martin parked in the front of the house near the light brown fence.

Thanks for the advice. When they come around with the wristbands they offer you a choice of whatever showcourts are still available at that stage and you've to make you're decision then, is that right? When you get your wristband do you have to stay in the queue or can you go get some sleep? :)

Is the queue on a lawn, or how do people set up tents there? Once you get into the grounds can you leave them at all during the day and get back in? If you have a showcourt ticket can you leave the showcourt and wander into other courts? Do the other courts work on a 'one out, one in' basis?

Thanks in advance for any help! As you can see I don't really know how things work in Wimbledon.

Duzza
06-13-2006, 02:37 AM
sounds like an absolute joke. AO sounds so much better organized. Soo many queues and crowds at wimby..

Lleyton Hewitt
06-13-2006, 06:49 AM
sounds like an absolute joke. AO sounds so much better organized. Soo many queues and crowds at wimby..

The experience is fun

alienhamster
06-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. When they come around with the wristbands they offer you a choice of whatever showcourts are still available at that stage and you've to make you're decision then, is that right? When you get your wristband do you have to stay in the queue or can you go get some sleep? :)

Is the queue on a lawn, or how do people set up tents there? Once you get into the grounds can you leave them at all during the day and get back in? If you have a showcourt ticket can you leave the showcourt and wander into other courts? Do the other courts work on a 'one out, one in' basis?

Thanks in advance for any help! As you can see I don't really know how things work in Wimbledon. I've done this a couple of years now, and I'll do it one more time this year. (YES!) But here's how it's gone for me:

You have a choice of one or two queues. I've only done the one that extends towards the Southfields tube stop, so I can't speak much to the other side.

If you're in a good spot in line, that means you're actually going to be setting up on the sidewalk closer to the stadium. If you arrive later and the queue is long enough, they will wrap you around into the park on the grass.

The queue is pretty fun, but don't expect to get much sleep if you're a light sleeper. People will drink, some will be knowledgeable tennis fans from different parts of the globe, some will be a little irritating. But it's really a good time.

They make everyone wake up around 5:30 or 6:00 AM and collapse the tents and stuff. Then they compress the line down between 7:00 to 8:30 or so. (Might be a bit later, can't remember.) Then the armbands come around like 9:30 or something; you have basically no time to leave at that point since they'll let you into the stadium around 10:30 or somrthing.

There are lots of fun distractions in the morning, though. People come around and give free newspapers and stupid trinkets and samples of shampoo/candy. The first time I went some really nice ladies came by handing out small bowls of cereal while a dude with a jetpack on his back followed, spraying milk into your bowl. Pretty surreal.

The best "deal" IMO is to go on the first Monday of the second week, since you get a lot of men's quarterfinal matches. However, the queue gets MUCH longer on the middle Saturday and this Monday, so you have to arrive earlier if you want a choice of any court. (I think you had to get there at like 5:00 or 6:00 PM on Sunday to get a good enough spot.)

Last time I did the first Wed., and the cue wasn't anywhere near as long. I think I arrived at 11 PM the night before and had a really good spot.

If you can be flexible, my advice is to pick a set of days and READ THE WEATHER FORECAST before you commit. If there's going to be good weather the next day, you should just go for it. Being at Wimbledon when the rain goes off and on all day is incredibly irritating, especially if you're completely exhausted from lack of sleep the night before.

Have fun this year!

Oh--right. Also, the queue will always be longer if a Brit is playing that day. You can also to expect more of the wristbands for that court to be taken first when they distribute them through the line. So if you have your heart set on the court the Brit will be playing on, you need to plan to get in the queue earlier.

Lleyton Hewitt
06-13-2006, 06:58 AM

Thanks in advance for any help! As you can see I don't really know how things work in Wimbledon.

You start queueing on the left, next to the museum but then once the left pavement is an end u move to the right pavement starting from the bend. Its unbelievable what people do....2 years ago i was queuing up then at about 9am people were queuing already for the next day!!! You camp on the pavements, there larger than normal ones i guess but once u get a wristband u still have to queue. They give u one when ur near the entrance so not long to wait. Wristband means u are guaranteed a showcourt ticket, whichever one u choose, unless people queue jump once u have the wristband, if u are going to complain u will have to show them this card u get, u have a number on the card to say u are the ... person to queue up so it provides proof that u have queued up and not skipped. They start giving the cards out at about 4 or 5 am. If u get a showcourt eg Centre court, u can also go on the outside courts 3-19. the same with court 1 and court 2. Once u get in i would advise u to write down the matches u want to see and their schedule because seats fill up quickly on the outside courts especiallly 3,14,18.

I miss going to wimbledon...take pics of everything if u can, practice courts...the food area....the place where they sell strawberries and cream...

cfitz
06-13-2006, 07:19 AM
If people queue pretty much from the close of play one day until the next morning, are there showers or washing facilities in/near the grounds?!

Lleyton Hewitt
06-13-2006, 07:31 AM
errrr u will pass like a food shop when the queue is moving, there will be toilets there also, the 1st shop u see will provide like tea/coffee basic stuff, then when u get onto the lawn near the entrance there are small food van stores that provide cheesburgers hmmmmm. How many people are u going with? If there are 2 of u, tell ur other friend to stay in the queue while u go toilet or something because people in the queue may think u are jumping when u get back and u could lose ur space if no1 is there queueing that u no.

Lleyton Hewitt
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
just to let u know.....get some coffee down u before u go in or maybe tea because when i went 3 years ago i fell asleep in the 1st match it was sjeng schalken v victor hanescu, sjeng was q/finalist that year. Then the next year i got the choice of court 1 or court 2.....on court 1 was ferrero v sum1 and rusedski v sum1 and 2 womens, court 2 was roddick v peya and sum doubles and womens. i chose court 2 because roddick was on it and rusedski was just turd back then didnt win any matched hardly and i am british btw. I fell asleep roddick v peya but i gues the serves woke me up haha. There are also a couple of tennis stores down the road from wimbledon about 5min walk, ***....the things in the wimbledon shop are expensive. If you decide to go down during the day guards at the gates will give u a stamp to prove that u have a ticket so u can go back in but some guards may want to see ur ticket so make sure u have ur own ticket and keep it with u

cfitz
06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
There are two of us going. Getting to London on Middle Sunday night, going home on Wednesday night of Week 2. Good to hear that you can get back in to the grounds if you need to leave for whatever reason. Not sure what way I'm going to plan it - doesn't seem practical to queue overnight all three nights, especially when there are no showering facilities. Might arrive at Wimbledon early Monday morning in the hope of getting a grounds pass. Then queue overnight for a Tuesday showcourt. Then decide what we want to do about Wednesday.

Lleyton Hewitt
06-13-2006, 08:57 AM
The mens and womens 4th round is on monday 16 matches, i think it will be 3 matches on each showcourt so im guessing 5 mens and 4 womens will be on the showcourts and 7 matches with a ground pass. The Tuesday is womens Q/F so centre court and court 1 will have 2 Q/F matches each. On Wednesday it is the game 2 Q/F on centre and 2 on court 1. So i recommend u queue overnight for monday and wednesday

cfitz
06-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I'll only be able to get to Wimbledon for around midnight on Sunday night so would that be taking a bit of a risk with regard to securing a showcourt ticket?

Would it require less queueing to get tickets for the women's quarterfinals than the mens? I think I'd prefer to watch say Clijsters v. Hingis in the womens than two really big hitters in the mens on grass.

Rickson
06-14-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks alot everyone
Be prepared for a Federer championship.

matty p
06-15-2006, 01:13 AM
hey im also goin to the 2nd week of wimbledon. wots the chance of me and 3 others gettin ground passes on the 2nd monday? how long would we hav to line up for? and wot matches would we get to see with these ground passes? many mens 4th round matches or would they all be on the show courts? and wot is the court 2 standing enclosure?

thanx alot in advance

Jonnyf
06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Ok arriving at wimbers at about 6 on the first day, would that be ok.????

North
06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey, Jonny - will you post pics of you at Wimbledon?!

Jonnyf
06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey, Jonny - will you post pics of you at Wimbledon?!

OFCOURSE I WILL, always was gonnna mateyooooo,just back from school trip to france n belgium (history WW1) so have a week of skl then WIMBERS

North
06-17-2006, 12:03 PM
OFCOURSE I WILL, always was gonnna mateyooooo,just back from school trip to france n belgium (history WW1) so have a week of skl then WIMBERS

Great school trip. We just got to go to the local Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields. Wimbledon should be awesome - I'm pleasantly envious you're going - lol!

brucie
06-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey decided I will too! Have to que for day pass go round outside courts should be good so long as i get some alsager lads to go, guess ill camp, cant get hotel, how you getting there johny its like £40 for me on train and your scotland so for you like £70

Jonnyf
06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey decided I will too! Have to que for day pass go round outside courts should be good so long as i get some alsager lads to go, guess ill camp, cant get hotel, how you getting there johny its like 40 for me on train and your scotland so for you like 70

Eh flying down on the Sat with my family to my dads flat then my bro flies back on sun and i stay down

Jonnyf
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I COULD KISS MY COACH.

He was going to be going on the same day as me but is now unable to, he is going to be giving me his (centre or no.1 court tickets) and that means NO QUEING, and if centre tickets to see the one the great the only. ROGER FEDERER

Jonnyf
06-20-2006, 07:38 AM
i think its a court 1 ticket(s)

deluxe
06-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Damn. I've only managed to get 4 show court tickets this year... A pair for the first monday, one for the middle saturday, and center court for for the mens quarters on the final wednesday.

Is it worth getting in the queue for the other days?

cfitz
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Hello again. Thanks for all the help so far. I'm happy enough now that I have an idea of how much queueing I'll need to do to make sure I get to the games I want to.

Does anyone know what the quickest way to the grounds is from Earls Court? Also, I'm gonna have to do up a list of essentials for queueing overnight e.g. sleeping bag etc. But, seen as I've never been before, if anyone here has any not-so-obvious suggestions they would be appreciated!

Thank you!

deluxe
06-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know what the quickest way to the grounds is from Earls Court?

Underground. District Line to Southfields.

luke_1983uk
06-22-2006, 01:27 AM
i think its a court 1 ticket(s)

so jonnyf what tickets did you get then?

cfitz
06-22-2006, 04:41 AM

Thanks. Southfields station is the closest to the grounds then? How long a walk is it from there? I'll have a look at a map anyway, cheers.

cfitz
06-22-2006, 04:42 AM

Thanks. Southfields station is the closest to the grounds then? How long a walk is it from there? I'll have a look at a map anyway, cheers.

Jonnyf
06-22-2006, 08:02 AM
so jonnyf what tickets did you get then?

2 court 1 tickets for the first day

robkat
06-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Southfields station is the closest. It is about 15 min walk.

robkat
06-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Don't go all the way to the Wimbledon tube stop. it is a long walk and mostly up hill for the first mile or so. Southflields is the closet stop . Just go straight out the exit of the station and go across the street keeping on the main road, I forget the the name of the road. I'm sure there will be a crowd walking to the grounds as well.

A.K.
06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
It's my first time going to Wimbledon. Can any one tell me if they take credit cards at the gate to pay for tickets and on the grounds?

Thanks!

deluxe
06-24-2006, 04:10 PM
It's my first time going to Wimbledon. Can any one tell me if they take credit cards at the gate to pay for tickets and on the grounds?

Thanks!

Cash Only (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/tickets/tickets_prices.html)

luke_1983uk
06-26-2006, 06:24 AM
2 court 1 tickets for the first day

jonnyf what a day so far, hope it gets better, fingures crossed, that is just plain unlucky mate.

Court 1 1.00 pm Start

1 Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Vera Zvonareva (RUS) vs Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]

2 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Robin Soderling (SWE) vs Tim Henman (GBR)

3 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Kristian Pless (DEN) vs James Blake (USA)[8]

now that is what you call a good day of tennis, come on the sun!!

Jonnyf
06-27-2006, 08:14 AM
jonnyf what a day so far, hope it gets better, fingures crossed, that is just plain unlucky mate.

Court 1 1.00 pm Start

1 Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Vera Zvonareva (RUS) vs Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]

2 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Robin Soderling (SWE) vs Tim Henman (GBR)

3 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Kristian Pless (DEN) vs James Blake (USA)[8]

now that is what you call a good day of tennis, come on the sun!!

Yeah what a fantastic......................................... .......35 mins of play i got lol

deluxe
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah what a fantastic......................................... .......35 mins of play i got lol

Me too. They're going to return the ticket price for Monday.
Today, saw

vaidisova vs koukalova
nadal vs bogdanovic
zib vs montanes

Highlight of my day was watching a bit of Schnyder vs Zanetti.
Surely Zanetti has the worst serve in the pro-tennis era. I haven't seen her play before, so I'm not sure if she was taking the ?*&! or if she was injured. It looked like the serve of a social tennis player at my local club.

See the stats (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day2/2033ms.html)

Serra Zenetti (ITA)
1st serve %: 71
Aces:0
Double faults: 7
Fastest serve: 70mph (!!!!)
Average 1st serve speed: 63mph (!!!!)
Average 2nd serve speed: 62mph (!!!!)

The amazing thing is she gave Schnyder a good game: 2-6 7-6(7-4) 6-2
Schnyder won 105 points, Zenetti 100 points.

Still. Can't be many players whose average second serve speed is 1mph slower than their average first serve speed :)

cfitz
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
So what have the queues been like so far? Less than a week now til I'll be over there!

brucie
07-01-2006, 02:11 PM
JONNY got any pics mate, im going this monday and murrays playing woooo! No tickets yet though im queing! will be on murraymount, you wait!

Lee
07-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I think Murray shouldn't have any problem taking down Bagdhatis, but Andy will probably not beat Hewitt in the quarters. I am looking forward to the Hewitt-Murray match fo'sho.

North
07-02-2006, 05:02 AM
So, Jonny, I gotta ask. In the Murray-Roddick match, which Andy were you rooting for?

Jonnyf
07-02-2006, 05:29 AM
So, Jonny, I gotta ask. In the Murray-Roddick match, which Andy were you rooting for?

hahah, was kinda stuck in the middle. Patriotism or my fav. player

cfitz
07-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Just got back to Ireland yesterday. Wimbledon was great!

Joined the queue just before half eight on Monday morning. Headed straight for Court 2 as soon as we got our grounds passes. Queued for the standing enclosure for over half an hour and got in just before the start of the first match. Sharapova was playing Flavia Pennetta and this ended up being by far the best match I saw. Sharapova pulled through in the end but Pennetta played lovely varied tennis.

The next game was Clijsters v. Radwanska. The crowd thinned out a bit for this match so we got a better view from the terrace. At this stage my legs were very tired from standing! One of my favourite things about Clijsters is her ability to wipe out weaker opponents without fuss. She didn't waste much time disposing of Radwanska.

I would have liked to watch Ancic in the next match, but our legs were not willing to take much more standing so we left Court 2.

We queued overnight for the women's quarter finals. We joined the queue at around 9pm and we were very close to the top. We chose Court 1 to see Henin-Hardenne v. Bremond and Mauresmo v. Myskina. We were pretty much the first people in the gates so we got tickets in the front row right at the baseline. It was cool being so close to the court and hearing Justine's 'Allez' as she served an ace!

Some nice American girls gave us a lend of their Centre Court tickets so we could watch some tennis in there before we left. Other highlights included watching Nadal, Sharapova, Clijsters on the practice courts; my brother catching a wayward ball in the doubles on Court 1; seeing Navratilova play; seeing ourselves on BBC when we got back to the hotel; the lovely weather and the friendly and helpful people.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me out with directions and queuing information etc.

Cormac