PDA

View Full Version : Why clay?????

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-12-2006, 10:56 AM
We all know that clay courts costs a lot of money to maintain and make. Replacement of clay is expensive. So why is it that poor countries such as Spain, Argentina, the Latin countries etc. tend to have 'primarily' clay courts?

AngeloDS
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
They also have some of the best tennis programs, and a lot of great tennis players come from there. But most impart I think is the abundance of clay in these regions. Argentina there's a city forgot but a river runs through it. Outside of this city it's just barren and very dry.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks, but isn't 'red clay' really compse of mostly ground up/broken up 'brick'? . . . and so the rivers' abundance of clay and silt in those regions are irrelevant???

akj27
05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
spain isnt poor

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM
spain isnt poorWell then exclude them. I think it can be agreed upon though that most 'poorer' countries have clay courts as their primary courts. Chile, (South American nations) etc.

Andres
05-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Claycourts are not that expensive to build.
A gooooood claycourt is about 20,000 pesos, which is a little less than 7,000 USD. And they're not that expensive to mantain.
It's hard work, and much time on maintainence, but not that much money... at least, that's how it works here...

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
In the USA, buying replacement clay is very expensive. Material plus transport costs is usually in the + $10,000! That's why I assume clay courts are expensive in general.

Andres
05-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Well... they're not that expensive here :p

jackofromalsager
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
i play on clay courts and the club is quite poor so the courts are not exspensive we get our clay from italy it is just all hard work brushing them and cleaning the lines and also u have to roll them alot all clay is is ground up bricks or shale is stones and shells i think i think american clay (green clay) is more exspensive!!!!!!