PDA

View Full Version : Liquidmetal Radical MP vs OS -- power and stiffness

ormurray
07-01-2004, 03:50 AM
This topic gets a lot of discussion, but the testers say the Liquidmetal RadicalOS is more powerful than the MP yet the OS is a 58 on stiffness and the MP is 64. Yet, the raquets are made the same way with the same materials, etc so the usual arguments for discounting the "flex rating" are minimized. Isn't it just possible that the play testers are biased in favor of regular or MP and think OS racquets are more powerful and this alone causes skewed play test results. They think a racquet will play a particular way, therefore it does -- for them. Take the Estusa Power Beam Braided for example, the testers rate it as one of the greatest with a combined 85, but I've never seen anyone anywhere play with one. It just has a small head and typical specs that top players use so the testers believe it must be good. :?: :?:

shawndedrik
07-01-2004, 05:42 AM
If you donít believe it then stop reading it, I guess.

ormurray
07-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Believe what? That's the question.

BLiND
07-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Dunno about the MP, but I used an OS and found it VERY powerful!

brtennis
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
In the case of i-radical, the OS is rated higher than the MP. I suspect the flex discrepancy may have been caused by manufacturing variance. I have two i-radical OS and one is heavier than the other (unstrung) by ~10 grams!!

I do agree that the TW reviews tend to be in favor of players type of racquet.

Swingman
07-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Having experimented with Mid and oversize racquets of the same model/make over the past year, I would say that it is accurate that the oversize racquets are more powerful. I think it has mostly to do with the action of the string bed. The longer string base creates a trampoline effect which is very noticeable when hitting flat. Some of the racquets have slightly different dimensions, like in the beam width and head weighting which alters the characteristics. Having said that, the Radicals are good. The i. radical OS more of a control OS racquet and LM OS having medium to high power - fine if your strokes aren't too long and fast.