PDA

View Full Version : Framing the shots

mislav
05-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Recently, some two weeks ago, I've noticed how I'm on the increase of hitting the ball with the frame of my racquet. I thought it would be only a minor episode, but it just won't end. I keep mishitting the ball! :mad:

Did you guys ever go through such an episode yourselves? Is there a drill to fix it? I want my sweetspot hits back!

GeorgeLucas
05-12-2006, 03:11 PM
The best way to hit the sweetspot is to watch the ball veeery closely...
Try to see the ball on your strings (as best you can). This should help alot.

I went through one of these framing periods, myself. Try not to think about it (after you read that, forget you read it)

tennis_nerd22
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
ya watch the ball and concentrate on aiming your racket so that the ball hits the middle of it (sweetspot). it just takes some extra effort and practice

LowProfile
05-12-2006, 04:17 PM
It's mostly psychological at this point. You've lost some confidence in your shots. Try to focus on something else while hitting. Keep your eye on the ball and try to read the label on the ball (you can't usually do that, but it helps you focus). You should get your confidence back soon.

Honestlybad
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Did you maybe switch racquets recently?

cjm2k8
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
as my coach puts it "i payed for the entire racquet i am gonna use all of the racquet"

mislav
05-13-2006, 01:10 AM
as my coach puts it "i payed for the entire racquet i am gonna use all of the racquet"
ROFL! Excellent! :D

Thanks guys. So you think it's just an episode? It sure lasts long enough to have me worried.

I am a firm believer in watching the ball and I haven't switched the racquets lately. I guess things should get back to normal sooner or later.

I'll try not to think too much about it and hopefully regain the confidence.

heathnoir
05-13-2006, 06:59 AM
Recently, some two weeks ago, I've noticed how I'm on the increase of hitting the ball with the frame of my racquet. I thought it would be only a minor episode, but it just won't end. I keep mishitting the ball! :mad:

Did you guys ever go through such an episode yourselves? Is there a drill to fix it? I want my sweetspot hits back!

forehand? backhand? or what? think you need to be more specific, also do you regularly drill with a coach? that should definitely help ..

the other thing that may help is just to try and hit unrestricted for twenty mins, as hard or as well as you can dont worry about getting it in and this should help your timing when you go back to your normal game .. i hope :)

chess9
05-13-2006, 08:06 AM
When did you last have your eyes checked?

-Robert

Andres
05-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Did you maybe switch racquets recently?
Good call ;)

My addition:
Did you maybe changed grips recently?

Ryoma
05-13-2006, 11:13 PM
1. Try slowing down your stroke.
2. Unit turn during preparation.

ta11geese3
05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
When that happens to me, I try to slow down, relax, and watch the ball. But you say you're already watching the ball... that's the thing that usually fixes it for me =\

a thought... perhaps you're trying to put a lot of topspin or something?

diredesire
05-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I started to mishit frequently when i started to try hitting the ball too hard. This caused my head to jerk a little (especially on my backhand). I told myself to track the ball well, but keep my field of vision moving forwards. Giving myself a conscious direction to keep my head/eyes helped me steady that head movement a good bit.

brucie
05-14-2006, 01:32 AM
On forehand I sometimes lift up to early and frame the ball its about the only time i do mis hit, because I want to hit lots of topspin and see where the ball is going as quickly as possible shots so I focus on staying down and commiting to the shot I don't slow down as people suggest as that becomes unnatural and eventually will lead you to pushing, I hate pushers!

You don't say what shot you are mis hitting or where you are miss hitting it I mis hit just above the sweetspot and at the side of the frsme ! Hope this helps a bit!

mislav
05-15-2006, 12:46 AM
When did you last have your eyes checked?

-Robert
Actually, some two months ago when I got the new glasses I did also go through a mishit episode. My eyes adjusted and it was gone.

I haven't changed the grip, Andres. I tried here and there what would playing with a full western grip feel like, but I can't make a change. I'm firmly settled at my between eastern and semiwestern forehand.

Where does the mishit happen? On every shot! It's not like I frame every shot, but an increase in percentage is definitely there.

Mostly though, I mishit my backhand at 3 o'clock area of the hoop.

It is getting better now. I feel I might be finally getting out of this unfortunate times. :)

katastrof
05-15-2006, 01:54 AM

Looks like you should start saying "watch the ball, idiot!" to yourself a couple of times. Remember my thread on this ;)

But yes, regarding the replies, this happened to me for a while during racquet adaptation, and also while switching from Eastern to SW FH. Happens all the time with the serve (how embarassing that is !!!) if I drop my head too early.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll go away.

mislav
05-15-2006, 02:10 AM
Looks like you should start saying "watch the ball, idiot!" to yourself a couple of times. Remember my thread on this ;)
Hahaha Yes, I remember. ROFL! :D

And thanks.

kevhen
05-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Relax your arms, you may be too tense in your grip and that is causing the mishits.

FH2FH
05-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I tried here and there what would playing with a full western grip feel like, but I can't make a change.

Mishitting after some experiementing is normal. How long you used the other grip will affect how long it takes for things to get back to normal. It seems like you other strokes shouldn't be affected, but who knows??

You might try a larger grip too. Sometimes that helps you prepare earlier and be less wristy with your strokes.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Keep your head still and move smoothly so your eyes don't bounce around in their sockets. Keep tracking the ball into the blur it makes off your racquet, then recover.

Frame balls and mishits usually happen because just before contact your swing got altered somehow in your overall motion. In other words, if your hitting balls into the net, maybe you rose too soon and topped the ball. You had a very good swing path but your rising lifted the racquet path higher.

Sometimes, your frame balls come from trying to hard to put topspin on the ball. Again, this is a swing path issue and forcing the stroke.

Sometimes frame ball volleys happen because your head moves too much up and down as you are moving to the ball. Again, slow it down and move gracefully.

A good conceptual drill for this is to pretend you are moving to hit a ball while balancing a glass of water on your head. No spilling please! :)

The common theme to all of this is it is usually the head that pulls your swing off course and then the frame ball. Also, watch the ball longer. ;)

mislav
05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys for your help. It's not the first time you come to my rescue and know that I appreciate it very much.

I had a practice hit session today and things were much, much better. I'll put your ideas to work and hopefully get out of this.

purespin
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
That's funny!

tennis_hand
10-02-2006, 10:30 PM

if you can frame a winner out of surprise, why not. :mrgreen:

raiden031
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
My most common mishit is when I hit the frame lower than the head towards the handle, rather than the side or top of the head. The funny thing is that my placement rarely suffers when I hit the frame. In fact most of the time if I hit the ball out, its because I hit the sweet spot and didn't put enough top spin or I hit it too high over the net to keep it from sailing out. Hitting the frame reduces the power enough to keep the ball in bounds and right where I want it.

kevhen
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Are you trying to hit with too much topspin or just not concentrating enough on your shots? Are your opponents hitting harder than before or doing something else that is mixing you up? Has your footwork changed, more open stance? Did you change grips and go more western?

Just relax and swing through the center of ball and try to keep your stroke simple and sweet.

purespin
10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I have the same problem when trying to hit too much topspin with my forehand. Probably too much "brush" instead of hit through.

kevhen
10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah I frame more when I go for too much topspin. Too much topspin can also lead to short high bouncing balls for the opponent to spank.