PDA

View Full Version : What grip should i use?

yodudedudeyo
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure for most of my tennis playing career ive been using a semi-western grip. I'm a junior in highschool on the JV tennis team and i really want to make varsity next year. The problem is that i have an inconsistant grip, sometimes i switch from eastern to semiwestern to full western depending on how the ball is, for example if it's a floater really close to the net, i go full wester and just whack it. Lately, ive changed to an eastern grip and my shots have really improved, balls have been going past the service line and it seems like they have good pace, unlike my shots with my SW which either go into the net or not past the service line or out in the red past the base line. so what grip should i go with? do i just try to improve my SW or go with eastern which seems to be working better?

~RoWE~
05-13-2006, 02:01 PM
If i were you i would try and use a SW grip. Your shots with an eastern grip are goin long prolly because your not putting enough topspin on the ball. With a SW grip its much easier to put topspin on the ball and if your hitting the net your prolly not following through all the way. If your still hitting the net then try to aim maybe 2 or 3 feet above the net just until you get consistant and then you can gradually move back towards the net.