PDA

View Full Version : one hander or two handed backhand?

quest01
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Whats better a one handed backhand or a two handed backhand?

The reason im asking this question is because im thinking about switching from a two hander to a one hander.

JMaj
05-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe one should use whatever is "natural".
I was in a backhand clinic today. One participant had a 2 hander, and the pro told him a one hander better fit his body mechanics. So he tried the one hander and by the end of the hour he was hitting some very nice looking shots.

BabolatFan
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM

The reason im asking this question is because im thinking about switching from a two hander to a one hander.

How long have u been playing? Why do u wanna switch? Well it all depends on your comfort level. Don't do it coz others say this or that. Do it coz you feel natural abt it.

jamauss
05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
When I first started playing I tried hitting a 2 hander and was just never able to get the shot down. The motion of it never came naturally to me so I hit with a 1HBH. I'm glad I did. I've never played anyone my level (4.0 to 4.5) that can generate as much pace and topspin with their 2 hander as I can with my 1 hander. Call it coincidence or a lack of opponents but it seems that way in the pros too. I'll take Gasquet's or Guga's backhand over anyone's 2 hander.

edit: I realize the above might sound biased towards the 1HBH but hey, that's what I hit, so I like it. Obviously there are players that exist with awesome 2HBH's. It's probably as much personal preference and comfort as anything else.

siber222000
05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
i use both, i use one hand for crosscourt angle, and two handed for strong top spin shots.. its all depends on u do wat u like, there is really no good answer for this question

lucky leprechaun
05-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Do you want to be a baseline attacking type player, or a forward attacking type player? Personally I think the 1-hander allows natural flexibility to hit both topspin and slice to allow you different options when your opponent is figuring you out, and helps your volleys tremendously.

tpe11etier
05-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I tried making the same switch. Notice I said *tried*! I'm 33 and have played on and off for 18 years. The one hander came easy when I had time. The problem was return of serve for me. I just couldn't get set quick enough. With a 2 hander, I think you can compensate for lack of time on the big bomb serves by just flicking your wrists. That's just not possible with a 1 hander. At least not for me...:)

atac
05-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Best to learn both!

Rickson
05-14-2006, 12:12 AM

Congratulations on being the 10,000th poster to make this thread! Your prize will be a free subscription to TV Land and Nick at nite where you can watch reruns over and over again!

blue03
05-14-2006, 05:42 AM
i'm right hander and hv 1hbh. but my grip is like this :
i grip with eastern bh, but my thumb is lining up with the left side bevel (counting clockwise) of the handle (i am right handed) with that i can direct my backhand direction either crosscourt or dtl. but is it correct? or should i grip without having the thumb as my support?

http://www.geocities.com/aizatseven/gripguide.JPG

Janne
05-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Ive only taken 4 lessons, but Ive found the 1 handed backhand much more easy to use than the 2 handed. But I still use continental grip on every hit I make :P