PDA

View Full Version : playing george kernodle tomorrow, immediate help needed....

AllCourt
05-12-2006, 05:58 PM
im sure most people in the southern region of the usta usa have heard of george kernodle, who is ranked i believe somehwere in the top 10 of the southern region of the boys 18s. well, i play him tomorrow in the regional semifinals for high school tennis and well, i just want to do the best that i can. ima take it as a learning experience. i thot i could use some help tho, lol.

george is extremely powerful, with a very big serve and heavy groundies

i kno hes mostly an athletic power baseliner

so what should i do? feel free to joke around about me gettin pulverized, i dont mind, ha

AndyP
05-12-2006, 06:11 PM
You are going to get wooped or so it seems. So my only advice is don't back down, just go at him and do the best you can.

thehustler
05-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Play him like you have nothing to lose. If you've heard of this guy then the pressure is all on him. He's expected to win. You're not. Just relax and go out there and play your game.

10ispro
05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
run every ball down and make him win the points outright, not by you making an error. hit high topspin, throw in some slice to keep teh ball low, and even throw in some junk. Anything to keep him off balance during the ralley and prevent him from getting a groove. From your description and knowing how most juniors play today, if you go out and "try" and trade groundstrokes with him you may as well start the match by shaking hands in congratulations.

Instead, just go out and run every ball down, make him win the point and make him know that you arent going to give up on anything. Keep the ball high above his shoulders or below his knees, anywhere but in his stroke zone.

Work the point till you can get a short ball and finish on your own terms, otherwise make him earn his points.
Serve smart with high percentages of 1st serves. The mentality of recieving a 1st serve vs a secodn serve at higher levels changes drastically. Good players will look to punish a second serve. So unless you have a big serve witha high percentage, hit your second serve for a 1st serve and ocassionally throw in the big bomb.

When in doubt hit crosscourt or down the middle. Hitting down the middle deep will make him have to commit himself to open up the court for himself, which will open up some court for you.

refuse to miss!!!

VGP
05-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey, everybody's gonna have an off day.....

....you may be able to capitalize if he's having one.

First, develop your A, B, and C game plans, stay focused and execute. Pay attention during the warm up.....Work your way into the match. See what's working and what's not. Keep your head on straight, and have fun!

Roddick The Beast
05-12-2006, 07:27 PM
im sure most people in the southern region of the usta usa have heard of george kernodle, who is ranked i believe somehwere in the top 10 of the southern region of the boys 18s. well, i play him tomorrow in the regional semifinals for high school tennis and well, i just want to do the best that i can. ima take it as a learning experience. i thot i could use some help tho, lol.

so what should i do? feel free to joke around about me gettin pulverized, i dont mind, haHi, my name is George Kernodle. How are you this fine evening? http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/4/7/9/0/9/photo13640.jpg

AngeloDS
05-12-2006, 07:29 PM
You have nothing to lose, go for your shots. If you miss them, don't care too much. Expect to win though.

shindemac
05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
It would be funny if he read this board LOL. I would trash talk him and throw junk at him till be begs for mercy. Also, read his past posts and see what he has problems with. I bet it's stuff like slices to his backhand, or maybe high balls. Lots of dropshots, and don't give him any PACE!

chess9
05-13-2006, 12:33 AM
run every ball down and make him win the points outright, not by you making an error. hit high topspin, throw in some slice to keep teh ball low, and even throw in some junk. Anything to keep him off balance during the ralley and prevent him from getting a groove. From your description and knowing how most juniors play today, if you go out and "try" and trade groundstrokes with him you may as well start the match by shaking hands in congratulations.

Instead, just go out and run every ball down, make him win the point and make him know that you arent going to give up on anything. Keep the ball high above his shoulders or below his knees, anywhere but in his stroke zone.

Work the point till you can get a short ball and finish on your own terms, otherwise make him earn his points.
Serve smart with high percentages of 1st serves. The mentality of recieving a 1st serve vs a secodn serve at higher levels changes drastically. Good players will look to punish a second serve. So unless you have a big serve witha high percentage, hit your second serve for a 1st serve and ocassionally throw in the big bomb.

When in doubt hit crosscourt or down the middle. Hitting down the middle deep will make him have to commit himself to open up the court for himself, which will open up some court for you.

refuse to miss!!!

YES! I watch juniors play all the time, and am now working with some on fitness at our club. One of the big differences between juniors is those who run for everything and those who don't start to run for a ball they think they won't get. You should never think about getting a ball! You should think you WILL get to every ball. Watch the top pros. They are often half to three-quarters of the way to the ball before they realize it is utterly futile. Why did they bother you might ask? Because they are giving 110% all the time. Most juniors are giving 50%, at best.

If you know at the end of the match that you gave 100%, then you know you did all you could do.

Good luck!
-Robert

mucat
05-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Ha, give him junkballs, moonballs, push, push, push, run every ball down with a lob, make him hit lots of extra balls. Make him win with torment, make him regret playing you. Tell yourself you play to torture him, not to win.

jackabee
05-13-2006, 04:06 AM
Let us know how you get on and what the game is like!

eLterrible
05-13-2006, 06:51 AM
you could always try to draw him into the net and if volleys are the weakest part of his game, capitalize.

bluegrasser
05-13-2006, 06:58 AM
If you're S&V like you said, then serve mucho at the body and try to get a high% of first serves in.

topspin kid
05-13-2006, 08:29 AM
do the smart game. dont try to over power just dropshot, lobs slice ect. if there is open for a winner go for it . but like wat everyone else said throw in junk and be a pusher. just make him move a lot basically.

topspin kid
05-13-2006, 08:30 AM
do the smart game. dont try to over power just dropshot, lobs slice ect. if there is open space for a winner go for it . but like wat everyone else said throw in junk and be a pusher. just make him move a lot basically.

topspin kid
05-13-2006, 08:30 AM
i meant fo 1 but it did 2

Bungalo Bill
05-13-2006, 02:13 PM

so what should i do? feel free to joke around about me gettin pulverized, i dont mind, ha

Well, it does sound like he is going to slaughter you. But that is okay, we have all been there.

Here is what you can do to maybe not win in the score but certainly win against your goals.

Go in with performance goals:

1. Certain number of double faults.

2. Sustain a rally for 4 balls on the baseline.

3. Hit "x" percent of first serves in.

4. Always hit the ball crosscourt, etc...

Do your best to hit to his "weakness" even though it is clearly a stronger shot than you have. This way you will be able to get at least some balls to take control and hopefully win the point from.

Take note of the balls you had trouble with, the balls you should have putaway, the balls you should have controllled better. This will be your takeaway to setup your practices later on.

Use this guy to help you improve not only now but later as well! Like I said, even though you didn't win in the score, win with your goals.

Above all, this is a great opportunity to see where you stand and what kind of work you need to do to hit like him. Hold you chin up and battle him as hard as you can. Run eveything down the best you can and make him run. Hit crosscourt, crosscourt, crosscourt. If he nails it and hits a winner, great, on the next point hit crosscourt again.

Be confident in your ability to use this match for your benefit - win or lose.