PDA

View Full Version : High School athlete-advice on grips?

dirkgnuf
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi, I play on my school tennis team, and though I happen to be an laternate, I'm trying to get better over thet summer. RIght now I play with an eastern grip, but everyone else around here plays semi-western or western. Even my older brother (who's seeded) tells me to switch. Some other coaches who I have taken a few lessons with also told me i should use semi-western. Now, at the State Tennis championships last week, my brother told me that No one, at all, used eastern. Am I too out of the loop and is it time to switch? I know that a good compromise for me would be main:semi-western, switching back with eastern (depending on the situation), but what do all of you think?
Thanks

BabolatFan
05-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi, I play on my school tennis team, and though I happen to be an laternate, I'm trying to get better over thet summer. RIght now I play with an eastern grip, but everyone else around here plays semi-western or western. Even my older brother (who's seeded) tells me to switch. Some other coaches who I have taken a few lessons with also told me i should use semi-western. Now, at the State Tennis championships last week, my brother told me that No one, at all, used eastern. Am I too out of the loop and is it time to switch? I know that a good compromise for me would be main:semi-western, switching back with eastern (depending on the situation), but what do all of you think?
Thanks
Interesting. So you've been using the eastern grip for a while then. I do agree with your bro and coaches. If you're serious abt playing highly competitive tennis, then semi-western would be your best weapon. You'll love your game.

snoflewis
05-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks

if you dont have a problem w/ it why switch?

sampras used eastern...and he seemed to do pretty well for himself. if you play well w/ it...then i don't see why you would think about switching it.

Tim Tennis
05-13-2006, 06:16 AM
I too am a big fan of the SW grip, you can clear the net by a considerable height and still bring the ball in the court. I think the EF actually requires a higher skill level to use successfully, generally less clearence over the net and less draw on the ball. If you are "good" with the EF the relatively flat shot gets to your opponent so much quicker, they just don't slow down like the heavier top spin shots and don't kick up. You can really cut down on the time they have to prepare to hit their shots. The best player in our tennis community here uses the EF. When I play him I feel like I am always late in setting up to hit my shots. The ball just gets on you so quick and it is not like he is pounding every shot.

If you are really good with it (high %, placement), it could pose a problem to all the kids that are used to the heavy top spin and balls setting up.

Good luck, maybe you could master both grips.

bluegrasser
05-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Stay with the Eastern, at least if you're comfortable with it, the Q is: how good is your forehand and are you finding success with it. There are coaches out there that advocate the Eastern forehand grip, 'Allen Fox 'comes to mind + some great pros have had great careers using the *E* grip, such as Sampras, Davenport, and others - good luck.

Frenchie
05-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Switch to Western, it made all the difference for me on my high school team. Freshmen year I was a benchwarmer. Sophomore year, I'm now second singles. With an eastern or even SW grip, I found it too easy to crush shots into the back fence or into the net. Though the Western grip requires more energy, your shots will be much more consistent. You said yourself that the best kids are using western. ;)

~RoWE~
05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree with sno definitley stay with eastern if your more comfortable with it, its to late now to switch. Even if your having some problems, then all you have to do is practice to get more consistent.

eLterrible
05-14-2006, 11:16 AM
any shot is good if you learn proper technique, use the grip you feel most comfortable with and play best with. my friend has an eastern forehand and crushes the ball, now he's trying to switch to SW for some reason and it's just average.

jackson vile
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
You need to let your game and mechanics naturally evolve, depending on your type of play you naturally end up play your grip may change with time.

I went from a true eastern to a full western (not all shots as that is not best).

Things will change with time and this is the last thing you need to be worried about, just play and you will get better.

See what other players are doing try it and if it work and makes your game better than use it, also consider that things that don't work for you now that you have seen other players do may work later.

sureshs
05-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Switch to SW. No junior I see uses an E.

It has almost disappeared from the pro level. Even a "classic" player like Federer uses SW.

It is interesting you ask this - I was watching the Henman-Nadal match in Rome and Tim kept hitting FHs into the net. One of the commentators remarked that is because he uses the Eastern grip "if even that" which does not produce topspin for net clearance.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks

Never move out of a grip you know based on what "someone" else sees everyone else use. Switch to a grip based on the pros and cons of a grip and how it fits into your game. The Eastern is still a good grip and I don't care what anyone else says. It is a good grip, it can generate plenty of topspin, and it is an easy grip to learn.

Clearly, the SW is dominate and for a lot of reasons. It takes the best of all worlds. It is also a very versatile grip. There is nothing wrong with you choosing to move into the SW grip. Just do so with good rationale.

If you do decide to go with the SW, you are making a good choice.

dirkgnuf
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
What exactly, in quick summary, are the advantages that semiwestern bring over eastern, and is SW just better for the kind of tennis game played nowadays?

dirkgnuf
05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I can say this, i am decent with eastern, but not too spectacular. Of course, Since I only started playing last year (and no private lessons yet) it's not good to the point where it would be an advantage for me though. Any other advice?

metsjets
05-19-2006, 07:53 PM
i use eastern. i love it. you need to be more precise with every shot because you'll tend to hit flatter. with eastern you can hit flat and topspin, but it's more difficult to hit flat with semi western...at your level, you'll do better with semi western but why even switch? if you're comfortable, just keep stroking and improving.

dirkgnuf
05-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Well, thanks for the advice, but I still don't know what to do. Yes, I could keep improviong with eastern but it's hard to find teacher that's still willing to teach it....

Roddick The Beast
05-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, thanks for the advice, but I still don't know what to do. Yes, I could keep improviong with eastern but it's hard to find teacher that's still willing to teach it....Go with the semi western. The old farts will tell you to stay with the orthodoxed strokes (probably cause they can't adapt and learn TODAY'S stroke mechanics) and BLAH BLAH BLAH . . . . . They'll only tell you to use the old strokes, only cause they use it. It's a pride B.S. thing. Don't let that hold you back from changing. They may even make you feel like an outcast by making it seem as though "the new kids", with the "extreme grips" and "open stance" would get eaten by the old flat-shot-no-mercy-old-farts. Don't be intimidated. It is them who is WAY behind, prehistoric. Rather than changing, they try to "justify" instead.

Just ask them: "And do you blast the modern-day DIV I-II-III players off the court and at the same time maintaining consistency?" Those farts don't even swing with the hand pointing at the ball. Don't follow that old ugly strokes methodology. You need to keep up with the topspin game brother! :mrgreen: At least use a semi, at the very least!!!!! Haha

ta11geese3
05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
My brother uses an eastern grip. His coach hasn't said anything about it, and I think it would be nice to have some variety in the family XD It would push him towards a more aggressive game, right? What are the disadvantages of eastern then?

MatchpointServe
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I just switched over to Western. It was pretty hard at first, uncomfortable the first 5000 or so balls I hit. But after that you get the hang of it. Now my shot is much better. I say switch.

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
My brother uses an eastern grip. His coach hasn't said anything about it, and I think it would be nice to have some variety in the family XD It would push him towards a more aggressive game, right? What are the disadvantages of eastern then?The eastern allows you to dig down on low shots easier. It also puts you in a position so that the racquet makes contact with the ball more flatly, therefore you end up hitting through the ball more = more pace. You can get lots of topspin too, BUT, you have to pay particular attention on doing so (basically topspin does not come as naturally as it would for a westerner grip).

Eastern also sucks for shoulder high balls.

When rallying with a modern player, the flatter strokes are less consistent, therefore western grip people can ususally out-rally an easterner, theoretically of course.

Got it? Good! :mrgreen:

Jonny S&V
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I think that the style of game you play also has loads to do with it. Putting styles aside, I've seen great high school players who use eastern, semi-western, western, and yes even 1 hawaiien (sp?). If you want to change it because you haven't been getting the results you want, then see if you can change it, but if the ball is going in and you are happy with it, don't change. I used to use a semi-western but now I use an eastern and I'm more consistant not to mention the added surprise to the other players when the ball doesn't jump up because it's got very little tospin. It all depends on the kind of bio-mechanics you have.