http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=685_HFQrXoo

tennus
05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
This is true disipline at work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=685_HFQrXoo

Ah yes I remember these 3 episodes:

1. When Homer falls down the mountain on a stretcher
2. When Maggie is possessed
3. When Homer becomes the leader of the garbologists.

Forgive me, I just couldn't resist ! :D

topspin kid
05-13-2006, 07:35 AM
i wish i could do that my tennis skills would probably be even betterr

goober
05-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Marital arts would help with fexibility, strength and I possibly agility.

OTOH one of my tennis partners has missed a lot tennis from martial arts injuries.

BeachTennis
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
The question has been asked of my intent for being here. It is all about sharing with others knowledge, instruction and wisdom!

knowl·edge
n.
1. The state or fact of knowing.
2. Familiarity, awareness, or understanding gained through experience or study.
3. The sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned.
4. Learning; erudition: teachers of great knowledge.
5. Specific information about something.
6. Carnal knowledge.
in·struc·tion
n.
1. The act, practice, or profession of instructing.
a. Imparted knowledge.
Meaning #1: a message describing how something is to be done
Meaning #2: the activities of educating or instructing or teaching; activities that impart knowledge or skill
Meaning #3: the profession of a teacher
b. An imparted or acquired item of knowledge; a lesson.
wisdom
n
Definition: insight, common sense
Antonyms: ignorance, stupidity

I have waited years for this time to come when I could create a data base of video stock and footage to share with the world ! Each and every video I post has meaning and purpose!

Thanks

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-14-2006, 10:59 AM
The question has been asked of my intent for being here. It is all about sharing with others knowledge, instruction and wisdom!

knowl·edge
n.
1. The state or fact of knowing.
2. Familiarity, awareness, or understanding gained through experience or study.
3. The sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned.
4. Learning; erudition: teachers of great knowledge.
5. Specific information about something.
6. Carnal knowledge.
in·struc·tion
n.
1. The act, practice, or profession of instructing.
a. Imparted knowledge.
Meaning #1: a message describing how something is to be done
Meaning #2: the activities of educating or instructing or teaching; activities that impart knowledge or skill
Meaning #3: the profession of a teacher
b. An imparted or acquired item of knowledge; a lesson.
wisdom
n
Definition: insight, common sense
Antonyms: ignorance, stupidity

I have waited years for this time to come when I could create a data base of video stock and footage to share with the world ! Each and every video I post has meaning and purpose!

ThanksThere is nothing wrong with just posting clips for educational purposes and to share with others your experiences. What is causing people to 'QUESTION' you is the fact that YOU ask questions and never RESPOND to the members' responses. You do not interact with other members. IF all you wanted to do was share your clips, don't ask questions like: "how's this student after 3 months?" etc.

Instead of that, you should just create a thread and title it something like: "Here's a student of mine after 3 months of training."

People (not me necessarily) here in this 'Tips & Instructions' forum probably think that you are not really here for the same reasons as some (most) of us are here for -- which is to learn the game, give tips or both. They (not me necessarily) might be thinking that you are really a spammer, posting and creating as many threads as you can (or feel like), not to truly talk about tennis, but to 'indirectly' expose the TW members to your BEACH tennis -- e.g. by means of following the links in your profile, viewing your screen name. etc.

Rickson
05-14-2006, 11:07 AM
This is even better for tennis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2lSGCX4ic0&search=joe%20eigo

Watch him jump over his friend near the end of the clip!

sureshs
05-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Marital arts would help with fexibility, strength and I possibly agility.

That is true.

Martial arts are also good for that :-)

deluxe
05-14-2006, 03:06 PM
This is true disipline at work

That stuff cracks me up. I'm still waiting for someone to turn up to the tennis courts, go out and practice shadow tennis without a partner or a ball, striving to perfect that backflip dropshot overhead from the baseline. I could ask him if he wanted a game, and he could refuse, saying his shots are so powerful, he is likely to injure me.

Classic. Seen it dozens of times in MA, but never in tennis.

siber222000
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
ur joking right lol

deluxe
05-14-2006, 05:01 PM
ur joking right lol

Just like the guy who titled the video "Don't mess with that" roflmao

Rickson
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
That stuff cracks me up. I'm still waiting for someone to turn up to the tennis courts, go out and practice shadow tennis without a partner or a ball, striving to perfect that backflip dropshot overhead from the baseline. I could ask him if he wanted a game, and he could refuse, saying his shots are so powerful, he is likely to injure me.

Classic. Seen it dozens of times in MA, but never in tennis.
So you think that Joe Eigo is less of an athlete than most tennis players? Don't you think if Joe took up tennis, he'd not only be more athletic than other players, but also pick up the game quicker? I came from a basketball background and I got better at tennis in a shorter time than my other friends so someone like Joe Eigo would become good at tennis in a much shorter time than someone who doesn't have his athletic talent. The author was not incorrect in saying that tricking and other martial arts skills are good for tennis.

deluxe
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
So you think that Joe Eigo is less of an athlete than most tennis players? Don't you think if Joe took up tennis, he'd not only be more athletic than other players, but also pick up the game quicker? I came from a basketball background and I got better at tennis in a shorter time than my other friends so someone like Joe Eigo would become good at tennis in a much shorter time than someone who doesn't have his athletic talent. The author was not incorrect in saying that tricking and other martial arts skills are good for tennis.

I did not comment on whether anyone was "less of an athlete", and I did not reference any author who said MA skills are good for tennis. Read the post.

Roforot
05-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Off topic, but what was the song in the vid?
One of the comments said it was by "Rob Zombie?"

BeachTennis
05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
That is true.

Martial arts are also good for that :-)

One must be able to understand movement and Martial Arts and Dance help in the process of learning the proper tennis movements

In the years that I have been in the tennis world it has allways amazed me at how quick students in Martial pick up tennis.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
One must be able to understand movement and Martial Arts and Dance help in the process of learning the proper tennis movements

In the years that I have been in the tennis world it has allways amazed me at how quick students in Martial pick up tennis.

Martial Arts and Dance are not prerequisites to tennis movement. Many sports can be useful such as Soccer, Volleyball, Football, and Basketball.

Maybe Federer and all the rest of the Pros are Black Belts and no one ever knew.

Sounds dumb right? Because it is dumb!

Anyone with good athletic talent can improve rapidly in tennis movements if it is taught properly.

Tennis has specific movements that are unique to tennis. Even surfers like myself can learn tennis movements and do not need to take Martial Arts to get there.

deluxe
05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Martial Arts and Dance are not prerequisites to tennis movement. Many sports can be useful such as Soccer, Volleyball, Football, and Basketball.

Maybe Federer and all the rest of the Pros are Black Belts and no one ever knew.

Sounds dumb right? Because it is dumb!

Anyone with good athletic talent can improve rapidly in tennis movements if it is taught properly.

Tennis has specific movements that are unique to tennis. Even surfers like myself can learn tennis movements and do not need to take Martial Arts to get there.

Amen!

One gets better at tennis by hitting tennis balls! The unique (among sports) thing about some martial arts is that they think that they can get better at fighting not by the practice of fighting, but through abstinance from fighting and devoting their practice to a form of dancing!

That's the thinking behind someone to titling a video of people doing kata, "Don't mess with that"

BeachTennis
05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
A kata is an exercise in karate where you repeat a form many, many times, ...

How about a tennis kata ?

This was the point about karate helping a player develop.

Practice.

and more practice.

Shadow swings in the mirror

Do you do you daily tennis kata!

Play shadow points.

That is play out points with out a ball working on form!

lolsmash
05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
The unique (among sports) thing about some martial arts is that they think that they can get better at fighting not by the practice of fighting, but through abstinance from fighting and devoting their practice to a form of dancing!

You do know that martial arts is not all kata, that is just one part. They learn techniques and moves from katas and from lessons, then they have sparring to use those moves against someone else. That is how they get better at fighting.

On another note, martial arts and such can help in tennis. The discipline you need to perfect a technique, agility, and quick reaction time from martial arts can also be used in tennis. So its not all that dumb.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
A kata is an exercise in karate where you repeat a form many, many times, ...

How about a tennis kata ?

This was the point about karate helping a player develop.

Practice.

and more practice.

Shadow swings in the mirror

Do you do you daily tennis kata!

Play shadow points.

That is play out points with out a ball working on form!

No one is doubting that some of Martial Arts training transfers to tennis. Any athlete that is not acquainted with good balance techniques in their sport of choice is not going to realize their potential in any sport. This is a basic element to all sports.

In nearly all athletic endeavors, one can always point to aspects that can faciliate crossover to other sports. This is why many coaches encourage young athletes to compete in other sports as well as tennis at young ages.

Tennis still has its own unique areas to train and learn in the footwork area as well as other areas of the sport. Other sports also can aid in the transfer of coordination and balance as well.

jeebeesus
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
And your guy in the kata is not doing it correctly.There is no snap in his kicks and punches. It`s all flowery moves.
Goju Ryu 3rd Dan.

deluxe
05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
You do know that martial arts is not all kata, that is just one part.

It varies between different martial arts. Some martial arts are nothing but kata. The martial arts that actually produce fighters do no kata.

They learn techniques and moves from katas and from lessons, then they have sparring to use those moves against someone else. That is how they get better at fighting.

One can certainly get better by practicing moves against someone else, assuming those moves are sensible things to be practicing. Most of the moves in the kata videos that were posted have exactly zero utility in actual fighting. Indeed, the practice of them will tend to make you a worse fighter.

Here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5421521893915752114) is an example of an actual fight between two of the highest level wing chun practitioners. Observe their elegant fighting styles, honed through thousands of hours of kata practice.

On another note, martial arts and such can help in tennis. The discipline you need to perfect a technique, agility, and quick reaction time from martial arts can also be used in tennis. So its not all that dumb.

Yoga can help your tennis through improved flexibility.
Chess can help your tennis through the practice of strategy and tactics.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Chess can help your tennis through the practice of strategy and tactics.

I love chess! Chess is excellent to help you understand tactics, initiatives, knowing when you are on defense, etc...definietly some transfer there.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I am the chess master. Let's start a TW chess challenge tournament, with draws and everything!

deluxe
05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
And your guy in the kata is not doing it correctly.There is no snap in his kicks and punches. It`s all flowery moves.
Goju Ryu 3rd Dan.

Of course, when a real kicker (Thai) kicks, the only snap is that of your bone as it shatters when his shin crushes through it.

deluxe
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
I am the chess master. Let's start a TW chess challenge tournament, with draws and everything!

1.e4

Fancy a Sicilian Najdorf, or a Caro-Kann Advance?

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Caro-Kann Defence

2.d4

deluxe
05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Caro-Kann Defence

2.d4

You can't play d4... You're black!

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Go to yahoo games. That's the best one that I know.

I know that there are millions of other sites! Just that Yahoo games is the COMMERCIAL/popular site, therefore I have been used to it since day one.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
2.D5

(This game is going to litter this thread BTW, so I withdraw. You win I suppose.)

deluxe
05-15-2006, 06:00 PM
2.D5

(This game is going to litter this thread BTW, so I withdraw. You win I suppose.)

Deluxe by "thread spam", 0:21, round 1.

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 07:36 PM
1.e4

Fancy a Sicilian Najdorf, or a Caro-Kann Advance?

Caro-Kann all the way. I might consider the Pirc Defense Fianchettoed. ;)

Rickson
05-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Amen!

One gets better at tennis by hitting tennis balls! The unique (among sports) thing about some martial arts is that they think that they can get better at fighting not by the practice of fighting, but through abstinance from fighting and devoting their practice to a form of dancing!

That's the thinking behind someone to titling a video of people doing kata, "Don't mess with that"
In the kata sense, I agree with you because I know I'd smack up a kata expert who has no "real" fighting experience. I've always been amazed at how lost tae kwon do black belts are when they get taken to the ground. I've sparred 2 black belts and both tapped out when I took them down with a double leg and choked them out with ease. Throwing kicks and punches in the air might be a good show, but punching and kicking in a real fight situation makes a good fighter and not doing katas only.

deluxe
05-16-2006, 06:33 AM
In the kata sense, I agree with you because I know I'd smack up a kata expert who has no "real" fighting experience. I've always been amazed at how lost tae kwon do black belts are when they get taken to the ground. I've sparred 2 black belts and both tapped out when I took them down with a double leg and choked them out with ease.

BJJ 101.

dannyjjang
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
hah this is hilarious...a 3 back flip two hand back hand!!!

naw just kidding..but if you did some sort of martial arts basketball at young age i think it does help in any kind of sports...you catch on stuff real quick.
for instance
i have a friend who is a great CS player(computer game) only spent time on front of monitor vs me who did taek wondo 1st grade to 6th grade (BUT STOPPED AT 7th grade which i gained 40 pounds)

but i'm still faster than the faster one in court