PDA

View Full Version : RATE the videos

lolsmash
05-13-2006, 07:28 AM
warm up strokes, rate them, critique, etc.

http://media.putfile.com/groundies--6
http://media.putfile.com/groundes-5
http://media.putfile.com/tennis---groundstrokes
http://media.putfile.com/groundies-3
http://rapidshare.de/files/20320144/DSCN1100.MOV.html

all vids are different btw
I (the one in green shirt) am having problems with my forehand, i cant seem to keep the ball as low as i want sometimes, can someone check to see what i am doing wrong. Thanks guys

topspin kid
05-13-2006, 08:13 AM
i cant see any can u post them on different website like youtube.
plz

lolsmash
05-13-2006, 08:23 AM
all the vids are in .mov so it's easier to see frame by frame, but you have to wait for them to load because it takes a while and we'll try to put em on youtube later.

marcus_alsager
05-13-2006, 08:59 AM
i cant c them either

snoflewis
05-13-2006, 08:59 AM
the guy in the white uses way too much topspin....you guys basically depend on using topspin to get the ball over the net and in the court...almost to the point of moonballing imo.

lolsmash
05-13-2006, 09:03 AM
guys if you cant see it, then your not waiting because it takes a while for them to load. And thanks for the tip snoflewis.
Also can someone critique the rapidshare video because that one is mine, it might be easier to view because you download it and its in quicktime format.

snoflewis
05-13-2006, 09:06 AM
guys if you cant see it, then your not waiting because it takes a while for them to load. And thanks for the tip snoflewis, and the rapid share file might be easier to see cause you download it and thats the video with me in it.

the youtube files do take time to load

lolsmash
05-13-2006, 09:18 AM
i know but im just saying that my files are not in .wmv but are in .mov so it is easier to see frame by frame, i havent tried uploading on youtube yet but ill try to later. btw can more people critique and rate please

jackabee
05-13-2006, 11:16 AM
It is hard to tell directly from the 2 videos that I have watched as it seems that most of the time you feed the ball in and ur hitting partner hits it in the net. So firstly I would find a better hitting partner! :)

However, regarding the top spin... from what I can tell you're footwork could be improved by simply taking more, smaller steps and being a bit faster to ensure that you're in the correct position. From that you will find that your general stroke movement is not only easier but also more effective.

To hit with less top spin you need to hit through the ball more. Make sure that you are stepping into every shot and that you are getting your body over the ball. This is where the footwork comes in. You will find that you get more power when you bend your knees and drive forwards and upwards in order to generate topspin but by keeping your body over the ball you will keep the ball lower and produce more power on your shots.

Let us know how it goes and if this is any help!

J

Wtitanium
05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
the guy in the white uses way too much topspin....you guys basically depend on using topspin to get the ball over the net and in the court...almost to the point of moonballing imo.

What does moonballing mean? I've heard the term before, and heard it twice today, but I'm still not sure what it means.

lolsmash
05-13-2006, 11:39 AM
hehe thanks for the tip. well the guy in the white is my brother and then theres my other friend. the thing was he was trying to hit it harder but when that didnt work we decided to hit medium pace but then the cameras battery died lol. but again thanks and keep the critiques coming. oh, and jackabee, who are you talking about? green shirt or white shirt lol

snoflewis
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
What does moonballing mean? I've heard the term before, and heard it twice today, but I'm still not sure what it means.

where you basically lob to keep the ball in play. by doing so, you makes sure the ball goes over the net and lands into the court...you don't improve by moonballing.

jackabee
05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
hehe thanks for the tip. well the guy in the white is my brother and then theres my other friend. the thing was he was trying to hit it harder but when that didnt work we decided to hit medium pace but then the cameras battery died lol. but again thanks and keep the critiques coming. oh, and jackabee, who are you talking about? green shirt or white shirt lol

Both :)

wyutani
05-13-2006, 11:42 PM
where you basically lob to keep the ball in play. by doing so, you makes sure the ball goes over the net and lands into the court...you don't improve by moonballing.

moonballing is a useful strategy. michael chang used it to win the french open, you decide...;)

shindemac
05-14-2006, 02:39 AM
My comments are for the last video for the guy in the foreground (green shirt). He needs to work on his footwork. Bigtime. He has a lot of problems with many types of shots : short balls, long balls, low balls, hitting on the run, etc. His lack of ability to adapt causes a lot of errors. He also has balance issues. This reduces your ability to reproduce the same stroke over and over again which is critical for consistency. Notice how his body weight goes in different directions for each shot. He also likes to jump which exacerbates the problem. His volleys are not good. He seems slow at the net, and his form is not there.

Overall, he would lose games due to the number of errors he commits. My advice would be to slow his swing down, and put some control back in his game. Work more on his form. Try to set up in time. Bend the knees for the low balls. It looks like he has a lot of bad habits ingrained. What would I rate him? A beginner.

Mr.Groundstroke
05-14-2006, 04:17 AM
It is hard to tell directly from the 2 videos that I have watched as it seems that most of the time you feed the ball in and ur hitting partner hits it in the net. So firstly I would find a better hitting partner! :)

However, regarding the top spin... from what I can tell you're footwork could be improved by simply taking more, smaller steps and being a bit faster to ensure that you're in the correct position. From that you will find that your general stroke movement is not only easier but also more effective.

To hit with less top spin you need to hit through the ball more. Make sure that you are stepping into every shot and that you are getting your body over the ball. This is where the footwork comes in. You will find that you get more power when you bend your knees and drive forwards and upwards in order to generate topspin but by keeping your body over the ball you will keep the ball lower and produce more power on your shots.

Let us know how it goes and if this is any help!

J
Jackabee,
What do you mean by; keeping your body over the ball?

Mr. G,

jackabee
05-14-2006, 04:33 AM
What I mean is that your body is positioned so that you're hitting the ball more downwards and forcing your body, alongside your racket head and the ball, up and round with the shoulder and hip rotation. It helps to avoid you leaning back.

Hopefully that made some kind of sense...

Jackabee

jackabee
05-14-2006, 04:34 AM
The top part of your torso is above the ball getting down on the ball.

jackabee
05-14-2006, 04:35 AM
So you're still hitting the ball out in front but not so far out in front that you have no control over the ball... That make a bit more sense?

majestik99
05-14-2006, 06:42 AM
What is this place you hit the ball.... It has lights and there seems to be no wind....
On a serious note though, must be pretty cool to be able to play indoors and not have to worry about the elements such as rain, wind, sun etc...

How much does it cost btw. I dont think we have those facilities here in australia afaik.

On the video, yeah your footwork needs to improve and with your groundstrokes try to drive through the ball to give it some pace. Takes a while for me to load so ive only seen the first vid. cheers

lolsmash
05-14-2006, 07:08 AM
okay, any tips on how to improve on foot work and stuff and thanks for the comments guys. the facility im not sure but its a yearly payment for a bunch of facilities such as outdoor pools and indoor pools and the indoor courts are included.

for my form (green shirt) other than slowing down my strokes what else should i be doing in order to improve. again thanks for the comments. :D

VGP
05-14-2006, 08:00 AM
If you've got indoor facilities like that, I assume there are pros that give lessons there too.

Invest in some lessons.

Mr.Federer
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
You got some issues with footwork, you're just standing straight when you hit the ball, not making little adjustments to put yourself in a better position. Keep that in mind.

tennis_nerd22
05-14-2006, 09:17 AM
guys just wait a minute for it to load. quicktime viewing is tons better than youtube

lolsmash
05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
double post, ignore

lolsmash
05-14-2006, 11:11 AM
We do have a teaching pro and she gives free clinics on weekends but she is also the high school tennis coach so she doesn't have that much time to do private lessons. Also, should I get a video when I play a match since this warm up clip is kinda lazy?

Tezuka Kunimitsu
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I can not view them... :( I do not know why.. I installed quick time.

~Joe

lolsmash
05-14-2006, 03:12 PM
dont worry you just have to wait a while

Saito
05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
i cant see any can u post them on different website like youtube.
plz

X2 http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

edit: NM i'll figure it out

framer
05-14-2006, 05:03 PM
warm up strokes, rate them, critique, etc.

http://media.putfile.com/groundies--6
http://media.putfile.com/groundes-5
http://media.putfile.com/tennis---groundstrokes
http://media.putfile.com/groundies-3
http://rapidshare.de/files/20320144/DSCN1100.MOV.html

all vids are different btw
I (the one in green shirt) am having problems with my forehand, i cant seem to keep the ball as low as i want sometimes, can someone check to see what i am doing wrong. Thanks guys

Green shirt guy - your strokes are too quick and flicky from low to high. Bend your knees (not just your hips), stay balanced, keep moving your feet until the ball bounces on your side then step into the shot and hit thru it. Both you of seem to lack the consistency to keep a rally going. You guys really need to work on that - the lack of consistency made it very difficult for me to watch your video. It seems like after every 1-2 hits, one of you are pulling yet another ball out of your pockets. Work on consistency and preparation.

lolsmash
05-14-2006, 06:38 PM
heh thanks for the comments guys and next time we're gonna try to hit in medium pace so theres longer rallies. also we're gonna try to fix our mistakes so thanks again.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Well...i only watched the first video, and heres what i liked: You seemed to be very relaxed on your strokes...Try moving your feet more...happy feet....