PDA

View Full Version : how do you find a good private instructor

mrcapslock
05-13-2006, 09:52 AM
how do you find a good private instructor without paying them for a lesson?

do anybody know any good private teachers around the portland, oregon area?

or maybe even the gresham, oregon area?

there are quite a bit of teachers and i dunno who would be a good teacher.

goober
05-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Word of mouth or ask them if you can watch a lesson while they teach somebody else.

mrcapslock
05-13-2006, 10:22 AM
so there isn't really a rate the teacher site to get a good word of mouth?

anybody live around portland can give me recommendations?

mrcapslock
05-17-2006, 04:26 PM
anybody know how to find info on a good teacher in portland?

BeachTennis
05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
great question !

Go to clubs and courts and watch people teach .

Sit there and soak it in.

Go watch 10 pros teach and make notes !

Start hitting on a wall.

pick one after seeing ten teachers or coaches do there thing !

watch a lesson and then go hit on wall 3 days 20-30 minutes

It will be like getting 10 hours of lessons for free!

Keeping reading the boards

Try to check out lots of slow motion video

lots of stuff out there for free

look a lots of still photos!

Good luck

PS>

check out
www.uspta.com ..........and look a find a pro
www.tenniswelcomecenter.com.....put in zip code find clubs and stuff

Mahboob Khan
05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
and also www.ptrtennis.org.

Attributes of a great tennis teacher:

-- Reasonable playing experience. Must be able to consistently rally from a corner.

-- Ability to hit and demonstrate all modern shots.

-- A teacher who is busy giving lessons at least 4 to 6 hours every day. I mean an active tennis teacher.

-- Certified as a Pro either by ITF, USPTR, and/or USPTA (certification means that his abilities as a teacher have been tested/certified).

-- A teacher who follows in his lessons some recognized tennis teaching methodology. I mean there are several certified tennis instructors but they do not follow what they have learned in a certification class.

andyroddick's mojo
05-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I think its best to ask some of your tennis friends who take lessons, who they take from. Then you're able to ask them whether or not they like the lessons and coach, and if it is worth it. Then you can go watch the coach, or schedule one lesson, and see if it IS worth it. You can always quit if you don't like it. But ask your friends.

Ryoma
05-18-2006, 07:01 AM
I think it depends on your requirement. I agree that you should go watch current teaching pros. Pick one that you think is better than you and you want to learn from. Also depends if you want to learn modern strokes or don't mind classic tennis. If you want to play competitively, you will be better off learning the modern strokes. I know it's tough. After I watched a tournament that many teaching pros participated, I totally gave up on hiring a coach. Most of the teaching pros are not that good, in comparison, since what we watch on TV are some the best players in the world. I think it will be fair to say, your local teaching pros will not be able to play or teach you anything near those levels.