PDA

View Full Version : High Backhands

~RoWE~
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
How in the world do i hit a high bouncing ball with a lot of topsin coming to my backhand? I have a 2 handed Backhand and im short so its really hard to hit high balls. Should i jump or Slice ?
Help.

snoflewis
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
you can always lob it back too...not that i encourage it or anything

L15
05-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Try to hit it close to your body, to make it fast. Or moonball it back.

~RoWE~
05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
without moonballs or lobs

looseswing
05-13-2006, 12:54 PM
You can either wait for it to reach its peak and hit it when its coming down (you'll have to back off the baseline for this) or you can hit it off the rise (for tips on this see the sticky at the top). I have seen some people jump to hit high backhands but i am not sure how to do this well.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
without moonballs or lobsBack off until it drops lower or take it on the rise before it gets a chance to bounce up too high.

This has been said over and over again (same thing right?) but there'e a reason why people keep on suggesting what I have just did! . . . because it's effective and WORKS.

If you are thinking: "It's tough because the ball comes at me so fast", well then . . . you need to improve your anticipation skills, reflexes, instinctive positioning etc.! So this info is 'sound' advice. If you cannot do it, that SHOULD tell you that you need to work on other departments.

shindemac
05-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Try slicing.

~RoWE~
05-14-2006, 09:42 AM
without slicing...

Barricade_steve
05-14-2006, 10:08 AM
just take the ball on the rise.

sureshs
05-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Back off until it drops lower or take it on the rise before it gets a chance to bounce up too high.

This has been said over and over again (same thing right?) but there'e a reason why people keep on suggesting what I have just did! . . . because it's effective and WORKS.

I am unable to take on the rise so I do the first option. I also try to move back and hit off my backfoot (left foot angled behind the right).

Woodstock_Tennis
05-14-2006, 05:42 PM
It's all about good footwork, have a 1 handed backhand and guys who hit massive topspin would always attack my backhand for this reason. Only way to attack it is to start taking it early on the rise or back up and wait for it to fall back down.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-14-2006, 05:48 PM
start taking it early on the rise or back up and wait for it to fall back downI ALREADY said THAT.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I am unable to take on the riseIt takes mental quickness in order to be able to take it on the rise. Everything happens so fast! With practice, you should (might . . . if you have the skills) be able to better guess where the ball is and get the timing down, and so you should (might) be then able to hit it on the rise.

Marius_Hancu
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
high one handed backhand drive
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33655

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 10:03 PM
How in the world do i hit a high bouncing ball with a lot of topsin coming to my backhand? I have a 2 handed Backhand and im short so its really hard to hit high balls. Should i jump or Slice ?
Help.

You can do several things but for some it will depend on your conditioning and athletic ability.

1. You can slice the ball. This is usually a good choice because most players use an Eastern backhand grip and a high ball (shoulder level or higher) is tough to hit a driving shot with this grip. It is technically out of the strike zone and your leverage breaksdown. So slicing is a very good option and because it is high, you can learn to really cut into the ball at optimal contact point to drive it.

2. You can move the grip a little more extreme, angle the racquet closed and hit through the ball keeping the face more on the closed side. Make sure though you hit the ball cleanly and do not brush it too much. In this case, using the smile pattern is very important here. If you have a C shaped pattern what ends up happening your hitting hand is too high while you make the C shape and you will have very little room to get upwards. Also, this pattern takes time to execute and you will feel cramped or jammed because you are arriving to the ball late.

3. Finally, you can time your rise with the ball which is right when the ball bounces. For this, and as you rise, you be careful not to raise the racquet too fast or too soon. This will cause you to hit on top of the ball. Still you need to have a slightly closed face to offset the tendency to open the face of the racquet due to a natural swing. This one is by far the hardest to time and learn.

4. Take the ball sooner. This comes from better anticipation and judgement. It is mainly judgement. Good and quick judgement helps you to know what is coming and how it will affect you before the ball crosses the net. You have about 1 second for the ball to travel from your opponent to you. So you have a fractions of a second to make a decision. Reading the ball sooner will help you move up to take it on the rise, prepare to slice it back, prepare to rise and make contact higher, or prepare the racquet and grip to take the ball at a higher strike zone with you primarily still on the ground.

All in all, you need to practice hitting high balls with topspin. This is one of the onehanded backhands weaknesses that can only be overcome through practice.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
I find that it is extremely difficult to return a high bounding shot on the backhand side w/out using a full swing, meaning that my back is ALMOST facing the net. I then bring the raquet head UP, then to the side, so it imparts a side spin on the ball. Or, if im feeling really confident, i do sort of a jump...kinda like marat safin, but i look alot less cooler doing it T.T

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I find that it is extremely difficult to return a high bounding shot on the backhand side w/out using a full swing,

Very good point. In fact, this is an excellent point. You have to really swing through that ball.

Also, another pointer I forgot is in the judgement area. For one reason or another, a high ball gives a player the optical illusion that it is FURTHER away than it really is. Swing slightly sooner than you think and with a slightly closed racquet face. You should be able to hit a driving shot.