PDA

View Full Version : Aggresive or Conservative ?

~RoWE~
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Lately i've been playing people that are more conservative, they hit at about a 3.0 and have a ok serve and a ok backhand and a pretty good forehand but every single one of there shots go over. They have good placement and they'll try and get you running side to side so your almost always on the defensive, and know matter what kind of shot you hit they always seem to get to it and place it right where they want ...
What should i do, should i play conservative and just try and keep the ball away from him and keep it in play or should i play aggressive and pound the ball everytime i get a chance too ?

Ripper
05-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Lately i've been playing people that are more conservative, they hit at about a 3.0 and have a ok serve and a ok backhand and a pretty good forehand but every single one of there shots go over. They have good placement and they'll try and get you running side to side so your almost always on the defensive, and know matter what kind of shot you hit they always seem to get to it and place it right where they want ...
What should i do, should i play conservative and just try and keep the ball away from him and keep it in play or should i play aggressive and pound the ball everytime i get a chance too ?

When playing people who are a level above you, which is what seems to be the case here, imo, being conservative will only end one way; that's with you losing. On the other hand, by being aggresive, you may have a chance. If you're on a good day and your opponent is on a bad day, that is. In any case, the worst that can happen is that you'll lose anyway. As a matter of fact, playing oponents that are better than you, in an aggressive way, is good practice. As I said, the worst that can happen is losing and that's expected. So, go for it!

x Southpaw x
05-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Strategic conservative-ness or smart aggressive-ness... Usually people who play conservative at the lower levels sacrifice technique for just getting the ball back in, that's no good. Being strategic with conservativeness is playing like the higher levels... playing with consistency and percentages, like hitting crosscourt until you get a shortball etc. Being smart aggressive, means putting more topspin on regular groundstrokes, so you can use more strength with wider margin of error. Or you can mix in heavy slice, or other aggressive techniques to put your opponent into defense and force his error.