PDA

View Full Version : Why do I play good with two totally different racquets??

Down_the_line
07-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone! Well, my racquet decision has finally come back to the final two but I am really confused. My two picks are the i.Prestige MP and the i.Radical OS! I just can't see why I play so well with two totally different racquets. In addition, this makes it harder to choose which one. Can anyone else help me? I'm tall (6'1"), a baseliner who virtually never goes to net, my two-handed backhand is slowly becoming my best shot over my forehand and I mostly hit flat.

Steve Huff
07-01-2004, 08:54 AM
If you play equally well with both rackets, I'd buy whichever costs less. That seems logical.

spress
07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
i would reccommend the i prestige over the i radical to any baseline player

lendl lives
07-01-2004, 11:11 AM
i've serioulsy considered serving with one raquet and receiving with another. i wonder if you could play with two. use one for serves and then throw it off the court and pick up the other.lol.

ssjkyle31
07-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Buy the cheaper of the two. You can buy a nice bag, dri fit shirt or some nice shoes with the money you save. :lol: Even better some high end strings for that racket.

Kick Serve
07-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I would go with the one you serve better with. When I'm demoing raquets, if I find two that I can play equally well with from the baseline and at the net I usually let the serve be the tie-breaker. It's much harder for me to discern the subtle adjustments I'm making on my groundstrokes with each individual racquet I hit with, but the serve is a different story. Everything else being equal, I go with whatever feels best on the serve. Because in important matches a slightly better serve can make a huge difference.

AAAA
07-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Answering the question you posed in the title I'd say you have sound stroke mechanics. One way to find out if a player has good mechanics is to give them a totally different racquet (tweener, players, or game improvement) and see if they can still hit their strokes.

roundiesee
07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
From your description, I would suggest that you go with the oversize i-rad. This will help your 2 handed backhand and also make your "weaker" forhead side easier to hit. Also, the i-rad is lighter and will not tire your arm in a long match. BTW, have you tried the i-rad midplus?

bee
07-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Interestingly to me I find it's good to have two different racquets to play with. On several occasions I've started playing poorly with one during a 2 set friendly match, then switched to the other and played better. When I get down and playing poorly I take the "try something different" attitude and switch racquets. Surprisingly, it often helps! Have a Head Classic Midplus and Diablo Mid. They play somewhat similarly, but differently for sure.

Bee

Down_the_line
07-02-2004, 07:17 AM
roundiesee, Yes I have tried the MP and that's what's weird about it. If my playing style suits the i.Prestige MP, wouldn't I at least play more similar with the i.Rad MP than the OS. Anyway, the. i.Prestige is better for serving and my two-handed backhand is doing fine with it so I think that'll be my decision. Thanks a lot guys for your help!