PDA

View Full Version : Showing rackets on TV

Steve Huff
07-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Why don't the networks show the rackets that the pro's are playing with more often. It seems that more manufacturers would pay more to networks for advertising if they showed the pro using that racket more. Sometimes I'm watching into the 2nd set before I've seen the pro's racket enough to figure out what kind it is. It just seems that if the racket were shown more, each manufacturer would shell out more bucks to tennis tournaments AND to the networks who televise the tournaments. This would be good for tennis I think.

El Diablo
07-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I think there are at least two answers to that. First, the fact that there is virtually no advertising by racquet companies during matches, a curiosity in itself, suggests that TV just isn't in the budget for most of those companies, particularly during a grand slam event when ad fees are presumably much higher. Second, I think manufacturers are content to let us see the brand stencil on the strings, something I'm sure you can see long before you may identify the particular model.

barry
07-01-2004, 03:20 PM
I think the Racket manufactures would be embarrassed to acknowledge no player uses the new rackets. They are all custom painted older version painted to look like the new ones. I keep asking if the new technology rackets are so good, why donít the pros use them.

NoBadMojo
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM
i think there may be some legalities involved w. naming specific manufacturers on tv. they dont talk about specific golf equipment either as i recall and golf is huge. what surprises me is that the big racquet companies like wilson dont advertise during tennis coverage. they've got the new n code going on, and tons of players using at least paint jobs of it including federer...shows you how low the viewership of tv tennis must be, and perhaps how small the volume is in the us tennis industry. my .02. ed

a verrry large duck
07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Well that would be too obvious, and when you go that far enough people outside of tennis would ask the right questions, and of course the whole paintjob scheme would be exposed and they couldn't do it anymore. Right now, they're targeting weekend warriors and non high competition players, so they know they will be inquisitive and want to know what pros play with. It's like here you go, from 30 foot away, looks like a prince more game yep. But don't get any closer or you might spot some inconsistencies.

El Diablo
07-01-2004, 03:36 PM
I think you miss the point, Barry. Manufacturers could both advertise their new racquets as well as ask TV people to show the racquets more without ever having to acknowledge whether a pro is actually using what they appear to be using. Prince continued to claim Ferrero uses the NXG well after they had been outed in The Wall Street Journal and of course on these boards.

Gaines Hillix
07-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Even the Tennis Channel seems to avoid the subject. One would think they could really go in depth on the technology of racquets if they wanted to and the manufactures allowed it.