PDA

View Full Version : Why do I play better after I watch a pro match on TV?

TENNIS2
05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Is it just me but if I hit the court immediately after I watch a tennis match on TV, I notice I play a little bit better?

Saito
05-14-2006, 03:05 PM
LOL it's probably in your head. That and the fact that watching pros play tennis is another form of training.

Andres
05-14-2006, 03:06 PM
No, you don't play better. You don't. Maybe you try new things u just saw, and with extreme luck, you hit something similar to them, but in slo-mo ;)

goober
05-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe because you can't find anyone good to play and you end up demolishing your 2.5 brother on the court :D

If you think it really helps you watch pro matchs before tournaments and see if it does anything for you.

looseswing
05-14-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree that it is in your head. I find that it the same thing happens with me. It is, I think, because i am inspired by the way that the pros play, and i want to play that way. Therefore, i concentrate more on the court than usual.

TENNIS2
05-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Certainly I don't imply that watching tennis makes me a lot better overnight. But I learned little things while watching. For example, I noticed how much power JHH generates with her small body frame just by increasing head speed with such a whippy accerleration. I carried that into practice and it helped.

grizzly4life
05-14-2006, 03:45 PM
i find watching live tennis or live golf, i then play the game better (obviously golf after watching golf)...... i think it makes you realize more the kinetic chain and how efficient the pro's swings are (as opposed to our flailing away)

10ispro
05-14-2006, 04:02 PM
it gives you an immediate visualization cue. Visualization is an extremely helpful tool in implamenting strokes.
When something is fresh in your mind, you can recall the image or series of images very quickly and allow your mind to translate those images into movement.

I too play better after watching some Pros play. I have always been very good at mimicing strokes,mannerisms, and patterns of play etc...but sometimes my body cant translate the image as well As it can with others--Like Jeff Morrisons backhand, I love watching him hit it and studied it in HS and then when I met up with him when he played the Legg Mason and afterwards, when i go play, I can do it but it just doesnt work as well for me.

Kabob190
05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Its probably that your inspired and motivated after seeing a pro play. Maybe you see them and you want to be as good as them so badly you try a lot harder. I cant get through a pro match without asking everyone i know to play. I see a match and all i want to do is be on a court.

Venetian
05-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Because people learn visually. Some more than others. I read a story once in a golf magazine about a POW in Vietnam. He was locked up in a POW camp for something like 5 years. He loved to play golf, so he thought about it a lot. He imagined himself hitting certain shots and such to keep his mind busy. When he finally was sent back to the states after the war, his game had improved dramatically. People would ask him how he improved so much having not played in so long. He would just tell them that he had a lot of time to think about it.

Dan007
05-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Is it just me but if I hit the court immediately after I watch a tennis match on TV, I notice I play a little bit better?

Same here. It's a bit strange but after watching an exciting, competitive match, I get hyped/pumped up.:confused:

MegacedU
05-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Visualization is a key part of tennis, that's why they make instructional videos.

ShcMad
05-14-2006, 06:47 PM

I don't think there's any scientific evidence that you actually "play" better, but same thing happens to me.
One time I watched Safin vs. Federer Aus. Open and then went out to play, and I was playing unbelievably well. Another time, I was watching Gasquet vs. Federer Monte Carlo, and when I went out to play, my shot-making was out of this world! lol...ok sort of.
I know it sounds stupid, but from now on, I will watch bits and pieces of those matches before going out to play!

egitserp
05-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure that would make you that much better, but you know what does? a good warmup. I run 4 laps around two courts, do pushups, situps, leglifts for 60 seconds each, and stretch. After this warmup i'm good to goo

nViATi
05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Its probably that your inspired and motivated after seeing a pro play. Maybe you see them and you want to be as good as them so badly you try a lot harder. I cant get through a pro match without asking everyone i know to play. I see a match and all i want to do is be on a court.
I agree. You get pumped up, inspired, and motivated by watching the pros.

TENNIS2
05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree. You get pumped up, inspired, and motivated by watching the pros.

I think there may be more than the motivation factor though. That's is why I posted my thread in this subforum to see if some of the coaches/instructors may know something about this. It may be the visualization thing. Michael Jordan said that before he throws the ball he visualizes it already in the basket. Maybe we visualize ourselves to be pro-tennis players after we watch them. Funny but may be true :D

nViATi
05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Maybe we visualize ourselves to be pro-tennis players after we watch them. Funny but may be true :D
That fits in with motivation. You're motivated by that :)

Tennismastery
05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
After watching pros play (regardless of it being a live match or one on television), your mind focuses on the visual impressions of what you saw instead of focusing on winning or losing. It is not all in your head. You actually create a strong image of what YOU should be doing and, for a brief period, you find you are capable of doing a little of what you observed. It is a little like playing in the zone; you don't focus on the outcome but the element of the hit at that moment. When any player does this, they make better contact, are not as focused on the outcome of a particular shot (so they aren't 'looking up' to see where their shot is going too early) and they create better balance through emulation of a pro's finish.

Someone mentioned that this is a learning aspect. Very true. If players would watch more video of players hitting, (especially like those found at a couple internet sites), they can improve their game and stroke production faster and with greater quality.

Keep watching and you will enjoy the many benefits of this visualization tool.

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I think there may be more than the motivation factor though. That's is why I posted my thread in this subforum to see if some of the coaches/instructors may know something about this. It may be the visualization thing. Michael Jordan said that before he throws the ball he visualizes it already in the basket. Maybe we visualize ourselves to be pro-tennis players after we watch them. Funny but may be true :D

I think TennisMastery summed it up pretty well. It is simply because your brain has information that can stimulate it. It has a model.

RiosTheGenius
05-14-2006, 11:36 PM
I think it definitely helps as long as you watch the right people...... watching Gonzo, Santoro, or Nadal might not be a good idea as their games are either not suitable to anyone (gonzo) or because of their complexity (the other two). but there's players who are very interesting to watch from a learning perspective. I like the way Nalbandian reads the opponents and makes adjustments to win matches, or Federers footwork, or Safin's Serve, or Moya's forehand technique, things like that..... I think it definitely helps to see these things before a match to remember basics that WE recreational players often forget out there.

Kabob190
05-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Ya i dont think you get better from watching the pros techniqe or form or whatever its mostly mental.