PDA

View Full Version : weak arm in slice

looseswing
05-14-2006, 03:41 PM
When I hit my slice backhand my arm feels weak, so I have trouble driving through it and hitting it well. Usually they sail long, or dump in the net. I am fifteen and do not have a week arm, so what is the problem? I think that I am balanced and try to have the u shape in my slice. My twohanded slice is alright, mostly defensive, so why does my onehander suck?

i am a righty btw.

Slazenger
05-14-2006, 05:07 PM
When I hit my slice backhand my arm feels weak, so I have trouble driving through it and hitting it well. Usually they sail long, or dump in the net. I am fifteen and do not have a week arm, so what is the problem? I think that I am balanced and try to have the u shape in my slice. My twohanded slice is alright, mostly defensive, so why does my onehander suck?

i am a righty btw.

Weight transfer is what drives the BH slice.
You transfer weight onto your front leg (with closed stance) and hit the slice.
Without seeing you one cannot say if there is a problem with your arm action, but if you want to drive through the slice, transfer the weight into the shot.
Also a longer backswing will give you more drive. So you want your takeback to have the L's (as my coach called it)
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Le6AwOTwGipQ9M:http://images.supersport.co.za/DentTaylor051213backhandGbg.jpg

The weight is on your backfoot at this point. As you begin the downward swing you step into the shot with the front foot thus transferring the weight.
If you search there was a thread with slow mo video clip of JHH hitting a backhand slice.

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM

i am a righty btw.

It could be several things:

1. Weight transfer: (mentioned above)

2. Contact point: I try to meet the ball in line with my front hip. In actuality, I will hit it slightly sooner. I do this because I would rather hit the slice with a Continental grip a little later rather than too soon. When I hit too soon, for me, I have a more difficult time controlling the ball and my racquet face.

3. Not controlling the racquet face: You should do a search for slicing as I have written good tips on what to do. A firm wrist designed to control the racquet face angle at contact is critical. The swing for the slice is about half the power effort you would hit your topspin with. The non-dominant arm can help you a lot in this area and you should let it go when you feel you have control of the proper racquet face angle as you swing downward and then out and up.

4. Swing from the shoulder and be balanced. Swinging from the shoulder will help stabilize your arm movement and make it more solid. If you do the above and swing from the shoulder, you should be able to hit a darn good slice.

5. Try and make contact with the outside/top half of the ball and go through it.

I have used this drill to help people learn how to slice. They would swing as if they were slicing the ball but they would not followthrough. They would have to freeze their stroke just after contact and stay balanced with their step out position into the ball. They had to hold this position for 3-5 seconds. If they couldn't, we worked on it until they could.

The point to this exercise is:

1. To learn not to swing too hard and learn how little you need to hit a good slice.

2. To generate the power from the legs and weight transfer rather than the arm.

3. To hit amd meet the ball in balance.