PDA

View Full Version : i need forehand tip

siber222000
05-14-2006, 09:33 PM
anyone have a particular tips for western forehand? because im about to change it from eastern lol :) dont ask me y, some people might already know but i wanna change it to western tell me some tips please thanks

Fuzzless
05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
i only have 1 tip for a western forehand:
stay away from it!!!

BabolatFan
05-14-2006, 09:37 PM
REally? YOu don't wanna try the semi-western grip?

siber222000
05-14-2006, 09:43 PM
hm i thought about semi western, but i thought western might be good choice for me since im a person who does a spin alot =) and... this reason is kinda stupid, but i just found out lleyton hewitt (he is my favorite tennis player!) use a western grip so i thought i should give a try =)

Fuzzless
05-14-2006, 09:46 PM
stay away from it, your shots lose their drive. you can get plenty of spin from an eastern or semi western

BabolatFan
05-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Well I think you can do it with such determination. It's not gonna be that easy. Gotta have excellent timing. At least you can watch alot of hewitt and study it.

Saito
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
stay away from it, your shots lose their drive. you can get plenty of spin from an eastern or semi western

X2... doesn't really matter about grip. It helps, but improving your technique with what you use would probably work better. Or at least a minor grip change to semi wouldn't be so bad.

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

siber222000
05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
hm.. i see.. thanks for the replies, so should i move to semi western first then when i get use to it should i move to western? ^_^

snoflewis
05-14-2006, 10:25 PM
hm.. i see.. thanks for the replies, so should i move to semi western first then when i get use to it should i move to western? ^_^

i think you should move to semi and STAY THERE.

i went from western to eastern over a course of almost a year. and now im back to a semi because it's more versatile. western grip (for most people) puts all your racket head speed into topspin, and makes you lose pace AND more vulnerable to lower and/or strong shots. by switching to semi, you can learn to both flatten out and hit w/ plenty of topspin.

MTChong
05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I think a semi-western is an ideal grip.

I went from an eastern to a western naturally after I took a break and picked up tennis again; and now, I'm just struggling to learn a semi-western.

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:13 PM
hm i thought about semi western, but i thought western might be good choice for me since im a person who does a spin alot =) and... this reason is kinda stupid, but i just found out lleyton hewitt (he is my favorite tennis player!) use a western grip so i thought i should give a try =)

Both the SW and the W are considered to be power grips. Choosing a grip really depends on the type of court you play and your game style. All grips have weaknesses it is just the SW seems to be more forgiving on certain balls and plays the "best of all worlds" type of grip.

For example, the Westerns weakness is low balls. You will most likely get a steady diet of them when someone sees you playing with the Western. Of course, a lot of players don't use their brains and lose to a inferior player because they had a lot of problems with the Western grip topspin. Had the player just kept the ball low, they might have had a better chance.

Both the Western and the Semi-western grips are considered power grips. If you hit the Western with good technique (not too much brushing) and hit out in front with a 90 degree arm, you can really rip it. Players only start losing power because they keep trying to get more and more spin.

You need to also note, Guga is a clay court player. He had extreme grips when he came on the scene. Overtime however, he did mellow out his Western grip to compete better on the hard courts and grass. So, you might want to consider that.

You can never go wrong in choosing a grip based on your style of play and goals. You can go wrong choosing a grip because your "hero" uses it.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Both the SW and the W are considered to be power grips.Could you tell me what ISN'T a 'power grip'? . . . the continental?

Both the Western and the Southwestern grips are considered power grips. What is a SOUTHWESTERN grip? Is that suppose to be some type of EXTREME western grip???

You need to also note, Guga is a clay court player. He had extreme grips when he came on the scene. Overtime however, he did mellow out his Western grip to compete better on the hard courts and grass. So, you might want to consider that.Is Kuerten's first name 'Gustavo' or 'Gugu'??? . . . is 'Gugu' short for 'Gustavo', much like in American, 'Bob' is short for 'Robert'????

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Could you tell me what ISN'T a 'power grip'? . . . the continental? Obviously, all grips with good technique can provide power. With the Western grip you hit more in front and that does add a bit more power if everything was equal.

What is a SOUTHWESTERN grip? Is that suppose to be some type of EXTREME western grip???

A SW grip is inbetween an Eastern and a Western.

Is Kuerten's first name 'Gustavo' or 'Gugu'??? . . . is 'Gugu' short for 'Gustavo', much like in American, 'Bob' is short for 'Robert'????

Did I type GUGU???? As in GUGU GAGA? I hope not, and if I did it was a typo. I meant GUGA or GUSTAVO, OR KUERTEN, etc... :)

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-14-2006, 11:33 PM
A SW grip is inbetween an Eastern and a Western.Aha! I see! You were referring to the semi-western grip. You originally wrote 'southwestern grip', therefore I thought there was a type of grip that exists that I never knew about.

Did I type GUGU???? As in GUGU GAGA? I hope not, and if I did it was a typo. I meant GUGA or GUSTAVO, OR KUERTEN, etc... :)No, you did NOT type anything wrong! I did. Anyways, it always confused me when people call him 'Guga'! I only know him as 'Gustavo', therefore I was thinking that maybe he changed his name or that 'Guga' was an abbreviated name!

I suppose 'Guga' is equivalent to 'Bob' (Robert) or 'Andy' (Andrew).

Bungalo Bill
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Aha! I see! You were referring to the semi-western grip. You originally wrote 'southwestern grip', therefore I thought there was a type of grip that exists that I never knew about.

Holy Cow! I think I better go to bed before I make any more mistakes. It is 12:41 and too many Margaritas later. :) Thanks for the catch and correction!

No, you did NOT type anything wrong! I did. Anyways, it always confused me when people call him 'Guga'! I only know him as 'Gustavo', therefore I was thinking that maybe he changed his name or that 'Guga' was an abbreviated name!

I suppose 'Guga' is equivalent to 'Bob' (Robert) or 'Andy' (Andrew).

Well you had me going there for a moment. It is late and I am tired, so I best shut this down before I call GUGA, GUGU for real! :)

sandiegotennisboy
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
semiwestern is the way to go.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
and... this reason is kinda stupid, but i just found out lleyton hewitt (he is my favorite tennis player!) use a western grip so i thought i should give a try =)

Not to be mean but this is a really stupid idea. You're gonna be creating the foundation of your forehand because your favorite tennis player uses the same type of grip. First of all, there is no telling of how long lleyton hewitt will remain your favorite player, so my best advice would be to do what is most comfortable to you, not what is most comfortable for lleyton hewitt. And unless you have the same genes and dna as lleyton, copying his grip wont do anything to YOUR game....WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS, that lleyton hewitt sucks, will never go back to the top, marat safin rules, and go to a semi-western forehand. nuff said.