PDA

View Full Version : Struggling for ball feel on f/h: Bungalow Bill and others, can you help?

crosscourt
05-15-2006, 05:13 AM
The title says it all really. I think that I am allowing the racket head to fall too far below my wrist. I hit semi-west. with lots of spin but not a loopy ball. I am pretty sure I am not opening the face on my take-back (a problem that I sometimes have). Any suggestions as to how to counter this?

Many thanks

cc

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 05:45 AM
The title says it all really. I think that I am allowing the racket head to fall too far below my wrist. I hit semi-west. with lots of spin but not a loopy ball. I am pretty sure I am not opening the face on my take-back (a problem that I sometimes have). Any suggestions as to how to counter this?

Many thanks

cc

I guess you are having a problem hitting long? I am not sure what trouble you are having. Please describe your problem specifically so we can better help you. Thanks.

For the takeback, you can practice keeping your palm down as you bring the racquet back.

crosscourt
05-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for replying so quickly -- I should have been more precise. My standard trajectory on the forehand is to hit a ball taken on the rise so that it passes about 2 to 4 feet over the net and moves pretty pretty flat for most of its flight before dipping quite suddenly at the end. At the moment I am hitting a ball that seems to have a sharper up and down trajectory, often has less net clearance, and falls shorter. I should also say that I take the racket back on the outside and then bring it inside to hit. I think of this as being like Agassi, if that explains anything.

Many thanks for helping out.

cc

Bungalo Bill
05-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for replying so quickly -- I should have been more precise. My standard trajectory on the forehand is to hit a ball taken on the rise so that it passes about 2 to 4 feet over the net and moves pretty pretty flat for most of its flight before dipping quite suddenly at the end. At the moment I am hitting a ball that seems to have a sharper up and down trajectory, often has less net clearance, and falls shorter. I should also say that I take the racket back on the outside and then bring it inside to hit. I think of this as being like Agassi, if that explains anything.

Many thanks for helping out.

cc

It sounds like your swing path is too steep and short. Trying to apply more topspin is usually the issue. Simply brushing the back of the ball with no real forward push through the ball tends to create a short ball. The ball is sort of glancing off the strings and the racquet is not really penetrating the ball.

You need to go back to basics with the grip you are using. Hitting longer and lengthening the swing will help you get that power back into your ball. The most critical area in the stroke happens between 4-8 inches from the ball. This is not very long but it is huge in being able to hit through the ball.

All in all, the best thing to do is slow it down again. Go back to the basics and retrain the swing path. Have someone feed you slow balls and simply go through the ball swinging low to high. Make good clean contact and extend through the ball out to the target and freeze. Don't worry about flambouyant finishes and windshield wiping. Just go through it and get the ball deep. Don't worry about topspin. Just hit through it. Gracefully, intelligently, and smoothly, hit through the ball with your rally speed stroke.

Oh yeah, my final tip is to "hit through the ball". :)

crosscourt
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Many thanks. I'll hit some balls and practice extending through the shot more.