PDA

View Full Version : Build a wall to hit in my backyard?

limitup
05-15-2006, 02:31 PM
We are moving in about a year and I'm going to do everything I can to get enough land to squeeze in a real court. That would just be so awesome ...

In the meantime I was thinking of building a wall in my current backyard - has anyone done this?

I am thinking I could hire someone to come out and lay a 40' x 40' concrete slab, then just build a wall out of bricks and lay some thin plywood over it. Paint it green with a white line going across and presto.

Doesn't seem like it could cost THAT much could it? The ground is relatively flat ... anyone have any idea how much it would cost for a 40x40 slab? I don't even really care how long it lasts - I'll only be here another year. A wall of bricks and some plywood is cheap enough ...

vkartikv
05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Don't you have any courts where you live? Why waste money on building a wall when you might as well spend that money on a court membership, should one be necessary?

limitup
05-15-2006, 02:41 PM
There are courts nearby but due to my schedule I don't get there as often as I'd like. There are many times though when I have 30 minutes of free time and it would be awesome if I could just walk outside and practice hitting. Don't you think?

nViATi
05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Buy a big wood board and lay it against your garage door when you want to hit.

limitup
05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Couple problems with that - the ball won't bounce decently off of a piece of plywood, and my driveway isn't smooth concrete so the ball won't bounce decently off the ground either.

I'm being totally serious about building a real wall to hit against. It's something I would use almost every day for at least 30 minutes or so ...

tennis_nerd22
05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Couple problems with that - the ball won't bounce decently off of a piece of plywood, and my driveway isn't smooth concrete so the ball won't bounce decently off the ground either.

I'm being totally serious about building a real wall to hit against. It's something I would use almost every day for at least 30 minutes or so ...

but it would be a pain in the a** to get rid of when you move. i think nviati is right. just put plywood against your garage or where you were going to build the wall. if its placed hard enough on the surface, the ball will bounce. if you still dont like how it bounces, the put 2 boards firmly together instead of 1. i know how you feel in terms of not being able to get to courts. the nearest one to me is a 15 minute bike ride. but i have a folded up ping pong table in the basement that i use instead (unfinished basement). its helped me drastically improve over the winter, despite the fact that the net of it is completely torn up, broken, and un-useable. but my dad doesnt mind :D

limitup
05-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't need to get rid of it when I move. We have 2+ acres that is basically separated by a big hill. The top acre or so is where our house and yards are, then there is a pretty big hill that leads down to another acre or so that is pretty much flat and just overgrown with weeds. I can build it down there and just leave it when we move. Most likely the new owner wouldn't do anything down there anyway and they might like it.

Bottle Rocket
05-15-2006, 09:02 PM
If you've got some money to throw down on a 40x40 slab... and you're driveway isn't smooth.... What about fixing the driveway then spending about $100 and building one right on the edge of the driveway? one that can easily be taken out or moved.

limitup
05-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Our driveway is made out of stone ... it's not supposed to be perfectly smooth like poured concrete.

Nuke
05-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Well, if you're thinking of building the wall out of bricks, don't bother putting the plywood over it. The wood slows the bounce and makes too much noise.

big_banger
05-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Its a gr8 idea and i have one too!!! you can practise what you like when you like!!!

limitup
05-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, if you're thinking of building the wall out of bricks, don't bother putting the plywood over it. The wood slows the bounce and makes too much noise.

Yeah, the only thing I was thinking is that I'd like to have the wall lean back a tiny bit to get some lift when the ball bounces off the wall so it's a little more realistic and a better bounce for me to hit. I'm not sure how I could do this with just concrete blocks and still have the face be smooth ...

Nuke
05-16-2006, 07:16 AM
If you have a concrete wall block, you don't need the angled face so much. Plywood has a dead bounce and angling it compensates, but a plain concrete wall returns most of the ball speed back to you, so you can still hit the ball on a single bounce.

limitup
05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Even still, the best case is that the ball bounces off the wall and immediately starts falling which means it's going to be low almost every time it comes back. I'm thinking if you angled the wall a tiny bit the ball would bounce off and up a little, and the trajectory would be closer to how a person would hit it back.

Freedom
05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't bother with a 40x40 slab. Just cut the weeds out, put down some grass, and keep it short. You can practice like it's a grass court!

byealmeens
05-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Don't bother with a 40x40 slab. Just cut the weeds out, put down some grass, and keep it short. You can practice like it's a grass court!
I've seen it done.

metsjets
05-19-2006, 04:46 PM
playing against a wall just sucks...it's nothing like playing with a partner. the ball flies off the wall when you hit a decent groundstroke and you won't be able to practice an effective volley for the same reason.

limitup
05-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think anyone in the world would suggest that hitting against a wall is as good as playing with a partner. But short of a ball machine, a good wall is the next best thing. If you have a good wall, such as a Bakko single curve wall, the bounce is not bad at all. As far as volleys go, the best way to practice those are to just get a small piece of plywood and lean it against something at whatever angle you want to practice.

Capt. Willie
05-19-2006, 06:53 PM
You say you are moving in another year, so I assume you will be selling the current house. This brings in another problem. The hitting wall in the backyard will be a turn-off to perspective buyers.

Davai
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I would suggest you contact a real estate agent and ask his advice as to how the wall would affect the value of the property and how it would affect prospective buyers. From there you can start thinking about the wall. However I'm pretty sure that you have done the latter already, in that case consider this whether you have enough patience to practice on the wall.