PDA

View Full Version : How high (or low) should you hold the racket on each shot

jasonahuang
05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
How high (or low) do you hold the racket on each shot. On my serve, I hold it wiht the pinky almost falling off. I was wondering how others hold their racket. A picture would be nice.

Mahboob Khan
05-15-2006, 06:42 PM
On serve: continental grip. Hold it such that the butt cap is in your palm; the pinky slightly off the handle.

For forehand: Grip could be Eastern FH, semi western, western: You hold it relax, and closer to the butt cap such that pinky is on the handle (NOT OFF the handle).

Backhand 1-handed: Eastern BH grip. You hold it rather tight, and more up front; the butt cap just prevents the grip from falling off.

Backhand 2-handed: Continental (right) and forehand grip (left) combination: Both hands are equally placed (spread) on the handle. And you don't hold it terribly tight! More on the relaxer side.

donnyz89
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I hold it same for every shot... how do you switch where you grip the racquet during a point? I mean rotating it is one thing but move up and down the grip seems difficult.

brucie
05-17-2006, 12:13 PM
How high (or low) do you hold the racket on each shot. On my serve, I hold it wiht the pinky almost falling off. I was wondering how others hold their racket. A picture would be nice.

I used to for serves its no problem everyones different it adds wrist snap but holding higher up so pinky is on handle will add consistancy more than likely!

SFrazeur
05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
On serve: continental grip. Hold it such that the butt cap is in your palm; the pinky slightly off the handle.

I disagree entirely, hold the racquet for serve as you would on volleying; with

a continental grip, all fingers above the end-cap maybe have part of the heel of the

hand on the edge of the end-cap.

jasonahuang
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I disagree entirely, hold the racquet for serve as you would on volleying; with

a continental grip, all fingers above the end-cap maybe have part of the heel of the

hand on the edge of the end-cap.

Well, no disrespect, but I think that the best way to serve, is to have the pinky barely holding off. I know for sure that that is the correct way. The only problem I have is that i'm not sure about groudstrokes or volleys. Thanks for all the replies already and the ones in future.

SFrazeur
05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, no disrespect, but I think that the best way to serve, is to have the pinky barely holding off. I know for sure that that is the correct way. The only problem I have is that i'm not sure about groudstrokes or volleys. Thanks for all the replies already and the ones in future.

Well, for this there is no correct or incorrect way. I disagree and you

disagree. the reason for my disagreement is because if you do not have all

fingers completely around the grip then, you would have to hold on tighter

with the other fingers, which would cause stiffness. now if you used a

lighter racquet you may be able to get away with more. But now that is

just five years of teaching experience talking.

jasonahuang
05-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Yea. I see your point. But, all of my fingers are on the grip, its just that the pinky is barelly holding on, yet holding on enough that it can still grip teh racket. The reason that I do this is because it gives me a higher contact point, and is looser on my wrist when I snap. Since im only a junior, I am still pretty flexible in changing my stroes, so do you think that that is ok? or should i change it?
Thansk

SFrazeur
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
The thing is people may see differently then they explain I may read what

someone wrote differently then it actually is. I should not have said

"I disagree entirely" it sounds too harsh, I apologize. If you could post a

picture of your gripping I think people could help you a lot more.

(100th post)

DX_Psycho
05-17-2006, 10:54 PM
my coach told me to keep all the fingers on the grip during the serve to be relaxed. if the pinky hangs off (like mine did for about a year) then you have to hold on tighter with your other fingers like you said and this results in bad motion, stiffness, and less consistency.

SFrazeur
05-17-2006, 11:13 PM
my coach told me to keep all the fingers on the grip during the serve to be relaxed. if the pinky hangs off (like mine did for about a year) then you have to hold on tighter with your other fingers like you said and this results in bad motion, stiffness, and less consistency.

Hey, I like you; feel free to call me right anytime you like.

travlerajm
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
A quarter inch change in grip position on the serve makes a dramatic change in the effective swingweight. If you like to hit your serve with lots of arc and big kick, but less pace, you can grip it higher on the handle. If you want to maximize pace, you should hold it lower on the handle.

Personally, I like to hold the racquet in the same place for every shot (with the butt-taper as a tactile reference) so that I don't have think about moving up or down the handle during a point.