PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a Wilson Rollers racquet

netman
07-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm sure this was covered in the distant past, but can you string a Wilson "Rollers" racquet on an ATS SSII drop weight stringer? Or is it too painful to even contemplate? :)

Thanks

aceindahole2K5
07-01-2004, 03:32 PM
break the frame in half and buy something that isnt a pile, if its for a customer.......recommend they do the same

Gaines Hillix
07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
There were several versions of these and each one has different instructions. If you'll post which one you have, I can look it up on the USRSA website and post them for you. Here's an example;

"WILSON Hyper Hammer 6.6 with Rollers 35' 10' 20'x16' 55-65 16x20 T 7T,9T & 7H,9H 6T 7T 7H 5H 7H 7T 5H,11T tennis
Note #1: Tension: String mains 3 lbs. tighter than cross strings. Range 55-65 lbs. Note #2: If you string the racquet with one piece of string, you need to make sure the short side is on the correct side. If you get this wrong, you won't realize your mistake until you are installing the crosses. Wilson has labeled one side of the racquet as the short side by printing "short side" inside the frame twice at head and throat. If you string the racquet with two pieces of string, you won't have to worry about the short side on your mains, but you will need to make sure you tie your starting knot on the correct side of the racquet. Wilson has labeled the proper hole for the starting knot "CROSS TIE OFF". Note #3: When you reach the first few Rollers and pull tension on the string, the string will not sit against the Roller you are about to loop around. Instead, it will shift back to the frame or the previous roller. This effects the length of the string and as a result also effects the tension. However, there is a quick fix to this. Simply lock your machine's tray before each pull in a position that causes the string to rest against the correct Roller. This procedure should only be necessary for about half of the Rollers. After that point, the string will begin to sit against the appropriate Roller on its own."

netman
07-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Gaines you must be a mind reader. I was contemplating acquiring a Hammer 6.6. Based on your post, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Gaines Hillix
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
netman, good decision, IMO. I had an ATS SS II and as I recall it didn't have a lock/brake on the turn table, so it would be very hard to do the first few crosses on one of these per the instructions from USRSA.

Steve Huff
07-01-2004, 08:08 PM
I've strung several Rollers models, and I think it would be hard to string them properly on any small, dropweight, or any machine that didn't have a good working brake. Whenever I string them, I use an ATW pattern. The grommet that is marked "tie off" at the top of the frame, I position so that the long string is on that side. Then, I string the top cross with the short side, and tie off. With the long string, I string the bottom cross, then up the other side, and start the rest of the crosses at the top with cross #2. It works well.