PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a peculiar newbie

Popstavri
07-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I'm a 30 years old male, 6'02" 210lbs with an average posture. I started playing tennis a year ago, after playing table tennis for 15 years at competitive level. I never worked with a trainer, but most probably I'm considered begginer

I have a natural tendency to twist my wirst and put a strong spin on all my shots (I never used to hit a ball flat);, so I heavy racket is a real pain (I tried); my foot and handwork are still a big mess. I spent most of the time on the basline, hitting hard forhands and sliced backhands - everything else sucks.

So far I played 2 Walmart specials - very powerfill OS Head (soft capatapult with no control), and Wilson "US Open" - a rather stiff OS stick with nasty non-elastic strings.

Now I need something serious. I demoed an entirely different breed - Head Ti Classic MP, and saw that I'm not up for it, and got lost. I don't even know what to demo, and don't want to waste the whole summer trying different rackets!

Any advice what might work for me will be very, very much apprecaited. I'd like to stay away from light rackets and get rid of occasional pain in the right palm and wirst.

Thank you,

Travis

Kick Serve
07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I would suggest demoing some "tweener" racquets. Based on your size I would recommend a tweener that walks on the "player's racquet" side of the fence. TW has some great ones on sale -- Head Ti.Radical $79.99, Volkl Catapult 10 $89.99, Prince TT Warrior $74.95, Prince TT Bandit $59.95. These have all proven to be great racquets and are easily customized with inexpensive lead tape. There are plenty of others, but while you're still trying to figure out your ideal racquet specs I'd hit the sale rack. Good luck!

a verrry large duck
07-01-2004, 05:44 PM
popstavri:
Now I need something serious. I demoed an entirely different breed - Head Ti Classic MP, and saw that I'm not up for it, and got lost. I don't even know what to demo, and don't want to waste the whole summer trying different rackets!

That's awesome a ping pong player becoming a tennis player, ain't that peculiar :) What exactly was wrong with the ti classic MP? If I'm guessing it just maybe you're just beginning in tennis and perhaps the tight string pattern and smaller head you're not up to it yet. I'm probably going to get argument, but I say go demo the Prince Graphite Original oversize. That racquet anybody can pick up and if not love, have nothing bad to say about it. Try that puppy out, and at very least you will get at least a slight feeling of how tennis is meant to be played, which you can't get with a 115 sq. inch granny stick that most beginners try. Plus you're larger than your average person, so wouldn't be a problem. Hey I saw this dude on tv named jan overton or something on TV playing ping pong, he was awesome. I had no idea you could hit drop shots in ping pong until I saw him.

Steve H.
07-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Popstavri, I was a table-tennis guy myself. The difference in ground tennis is that you have to use your legs and body while staying in balance, the wrist has a lot less to do with it. If you get yourself a flexible, high-quality frame it will help you figure this out. Understand what you mean about the TiClassic -- I'd suggest the Cat 10, TiRadical OS or the POG OS. Pick one of these and play for a year and you'll get it.

Popstavri
07-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks, guys

About Head TiClassMP - it's too stiff (vibrates a lot), demanding (smaller head) and hard on the wirst; it gives nothing for granted; if you do nothing with it - it does nothing for you. It seems very sharp and precise, I suppose it's great for an expert, but I need smth more forgiving to swing and improve/extend my strokes.

I'll try Radical OS - it's more flexible than POG OS and Cat 10, and a little lighter; if I string it lower ...60 or so, it should contribute some power as well, right?

Thanks again

Steve H.
07-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Good plan -- the Radical OS design is used by a wide range of players from beginners all the way to Agassi. Get the Ti. version -- it's cheap, and many say the most successful of all the Radicals.

kreative
07-02-2004, 02:01 PM
ti radical, dunlop 300g