PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Tennis School of Yutani!

wyutani
05-16-2006, 01:38 AM
ok guys, just to show that im contributing to this forum, i'll give you guys a tip on how to imprrove on ur volleys. i think this tip is already a known fact but i would like to share it anyway.

yesterday i played tennis and this pal of mine brought in "shuttlecocks" in stead of tennis balls. then we both played using the shuttlecock. he says it will improve the volley and power greatly...its kinda weird at first you know, you certainly need alot of power to hit the "shuttlec." and it'll encourage you to come to the net.after half an hour, both of us started using a normal tennis ball...

safe to say, i played my best net game that day...you guys try it, use a "shuttlecock". gooday' mate' ;)

Duzza
05-16-2006, 02:24 AM
LOL you serious?? I would think that people would swing for the power, thus being bad volley lessons

papa
05-16-2006, 05:52 AM
ok guys, just to show that im contributing to this forum, i'll give you guys a tip on how to imprrove on ur volleys. i think this tip is already a known fact but i would like to share it anyway.

yesterday i played tennis and this pal of mine brought in "shuttlecocks" in stead of tennis balls. then we both played using the shuttlecock. he says it will improve the volley and power greatly...its kinda weird at first you know, you certainly need alot of power to hit the "shuttlec." and it'll encourage you to come to the net.after half an hour, both of us started using a normal tennis ball...

safe to say, i played my best net game that day...you guys try it, use a "shuttlecock". gooday' mate' ;)

Well, whatever works but I think you could develope too much of a swing and use too much wrist. Another idea would be to use the kids tennis balls that are much lighter and get you hitting the volley better - same thing though, watch the swing and wrist action.

Tennismastery
05-16-2006, 06:15 AM

Having been a top-ranked junior badminton player years before I moved to tennis, I can attest to these tips. My volley, touch, angles, and overhead smash has always been excellent which I attribute to my years of playing high-level badminton. Of course, I had to overcome using wrist on groundstrokes early on, but that was not that difficult.

I believe that what this post is referring to is the touch of hitting a feathered (or even a plastic) shuttlecock teaches you that you DON'T need to hold a death grip and try to hit the ball with much force at the net. Everyone should try this as it is a great tip. You will find that you learn great touch in this practice and that you don't need to take a big swing to make the birdie go over the net.

Good post and I hope others will try your tip.

Ripper
05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
yesterday i played tennis and this pal of mine brought in "shuttlecocks" in stead of tennis balls.

Shuttle what?

Rickson
05-16-2006, 06:57 AM
LOL you serious?? I would think that people would swing for the power, thus being bad volley lessons
Agreed. Swinging volleys are the death stroke for volleyers.

Bungalo Bill
05-16-2006, 07:35 AM

That is actually a very good tip and one that will indeed help your volleys. The other thing is it helps players get the feel better for the Continental grip and how the arm works.

wyutani
05-16-2006, 08:22 AM
That is actually a very good tip and one that will indeed help your volleys. The other thing is it helps players get the feel better for the Continental grip and how the arm works.

it does indeed help. you know...now before every match starts, my tennis mate an i always start of with shuttlecock rally...

actually for ppl who wants to know its great effect, you have to try it...

so everyone, try it!!! :mrgreen:

wong yutani

TennisParent
05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
You know, I just may try this. I had always been told by instructors as a kid that playing ping pong was bad for tennis strokes and was concerned when my daughter had to play ping pong for a tennis class. I was pleasantly surprised to see that her volleys improved noticeably and there were no adverse effects on her groundies.

Andres
05-16-2006, 09:23 AM
I can add some other advices for volleying training.
Get the smallest headsize's racquet you can, and volley with that. A woodie (about 65-70 sq. inches) would work perfectly.

Naturally, at first, you'll miss-hit and frame tons of balls, but once you get used to sweetspot with the small head, sweetspotting with a Mid, or a Midplus racquet would be a piece of cake.

If you can get a small headed racquet, the better. It's a matter of get used to.

But again, that worked for ME. I'm not sure it would work out on anything else, but giving it a shot doesn't hurt anyone ;)

And Yutani, great to see you're actually helping this board!! :D
Keep it going!!!

Bungalo Bill
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Get the smallest headsize's racquet you can, and volley with that. A woodie (about 65-70 sq. inches) would work perfectly.

Naturally, at first, you'll miss-hit and frame tons of balls, but once you get used to sweetspot with the small head, sweetspotting with a Mid, or a Midplus racquet would be a piece of cake.

If you can get a small headed racquet, the better. It's a matter of get used to.

But again, that worked for ME. I'm not sure it would work out on anything else, but giving it a shot doesn't hurt anyone ;)

And Yutani, great to see you're actually helping this board!! :D
Keep it going!!!

You guys are rolling now, will it ever stop, these tips are simply excellent. Lots of players will improve their game with these ideas. Very practical, very effective.

This is what we want on this board, a place for players to come and get a "tune-up" or insight into their game. Great job!!!

Andres
05-16-2006, 10:38 AM
You guys are rolling now, will it ever stop, these tips are simply excellent. Lots of players will improve their game with these ideas. Very practical, very effective.

This is what we want on this boards, a place for players to come and get a "tune-up" or insight into their game. Great job!!!
Imagine training your volleys with a 33 sq. inches racquet? It's awesome!

http://f-mercury.com.ar/pics/hands.jpg

Everyone should, at least, give it a try. Try just 20 mins a day, and you'll notice the huge difference after a week.

sureshs
05-16-2006, 11:35 AM
You know, I just may try this. I had always been told by instructors as a kid that playing ping pong was bad for tennis strokes and was concerned when my daughter had to play ping pong for a tennis class. I was pleasantly surprised to see that her volleys improved noticeably and there were no adverse effects on her groundies.

I was also told the same thing and there is some truth to it. Table tennis uses a lot of wrist and bent elbow and it affects tennis play, specially on the BH. It can also mess up the grip.

kevhen
05-16-2006, 12:23 PM
A woman who I know just started playing tennis last year but her vollies were way ahead of the rest of her game as she was a decent badminton player in college.

mislav
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
wyutani, you have my sincere congratulations for this positive contribution to this board :D

But, why shuttlecocks? Shouldn't sponge balls work just the same and be more tennissy?

BeachTennis
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Having been a top-ranked junior badminton player years before I moved to tennis, I can attest to these tips. My volley, touch, angles, and overhead smash has always been excellent which I attribute to my years of playing high-level badminton. Of course, I had to overcome using wrist on groundstrokes early on, but that was not that difficult.

I believe that what this post is referring to is the touch of hitting a feathered (or even a plastic) shuttlecock teaches you that you DON'T need to hold a death grip and try to hit the ball with much force at the net. Everyone should try this as it is a great tip. You will find that you learn great touch in this practice and that you don't need to take a big swing to make the birdie go over the net.

Good post and I hope others will try your tip.

Well now sounds like we are talking about some beach tennis !

There will be a day when we have a ex-beach tennis player here giving tips on touch and angles! Oh and the smash.

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Practicing your volleys against The Wall of Cacti should help you improve your volleys.

P.S. Beach Tennis, no one mentioned anything about beach tennis. He said 'badminton'.

drake
05-16-2006, 10:20 PM

There will be a day when we have a ex-beach tennis player here giving tips on touch and angles! Oh and the smash.

I see no advantage, in fact a disadvantage of hitting volleys up (enough to clear a volleyball net). I wish all my doubles opponents would learn to play beach tennis so they can hit high volleys to me.

Bungalo Bill
05-16-2006, 10:25 PM

LOL, what a dork. Can't wait for a Beach Tennis guy to do that! LOL, it is amazing you haven't been committed yet.

wyutani
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM
wyutani, you have my sincere congratulations for this positive contribution to this board :D

But, why shuttlecocks? Shouldn't sponge balls work just the same and be more tennissy?

its doesnt have to be a shuttlecock, currenltly, im using many different types of balls. i tried golf ball (i dun recommend), shuttlecock, ping pong ball.... what i discover is that shuttlecocks will prevent you from hitting with too much power (really slow in the air), i mean no matter how hard you hit it, it looks like power has no effect but ping pong is the opposite where it wll fly off when you hit it wif power (not exactly good for volleying)...;)

BeachTennis
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
LOL, what a dork. Can't wait for a Beach Tennis guy to do that! LOL, it is amazing you haven't been committed yet.

or Beach Tennis Gal !!!!
http://www.beachtennisusa.net/images/dr_picture_087.jpg

or Dude
http://www.beachtennisusa.net/images/brad_1627.jpg

or Kid
http://www.beachtennisusa.net/images/brad_1414.jpg

Duzza
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM

Haha i took your advice and found some junior wooden racquet that weighs bout as much as a Radical. I haven't tested it out yet but hope to improve my volleys from it

artworks
05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
How about cross training with Badminton which is played with a tennis net instead?

You get to hit a shuttlecock with very small headsize badminton racquet.

How's that guys? :mrgreen:

Duzza
05-19-2006, 03:01 AM
nahh badminton racquet is too light, it would ruin ur game

Andres
05-19-2006, 08:20 AM
nahh badminton racquet is too light, it would ruin ur game
Nah, Duzza, it won't. It's totally powerless, so don't expect to hit as powerful as in tennis. I also train some volleys with a smaaall squash racquet which headsize is smaller than my own hand and weighs 5 oz. Try it. If it's not good, then drop it.

If you have a pacient partner, hit with the little one in a real court, but the wall, plus the badminton/squash racquet will do the work ;)

papa
05-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey, another idea would be to take regular balls and regular racquets and just hit a lot of vollies.

austro
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Just on the issue of what's ruining your game: I hear that Federer plays Squash, Badminton and even tried some Real Tennis in England and obviously he doesn't feel it is adversely affecting his game.

I have played Badminton even before a tennis lesson and my strokes have not suffered from it. I think it is ust a matter of being aware.