PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite ball machine exercises here

wfudeac
05-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Tried this on the "Other Equipment" thread, but it didn't get any responses. Maybe I'll have better luck here!

I've only had my new machine for a few weeks and there isn't enough time in the day to work on everything I want to work on! What are your favorite drills? Here are some of mine (I have a Wilson Portable machine)

Volley Drill (1 or 2 people)
Set machine to oscillate, and position it so that it feeds a roughly equal amount to both sides. Both players start on the baseline. First ball is an approach shot. Then move in to hit the second low volley, the third ball is a putaway since you've moved closer to the net. The oscillator will now move to the other person, so the first player can get back to the baseline and get ready to do it again.

Inside-Out forehand
Move the machine so that it hits a weak shot down the adcourt line, a few feer from the sideline itself. Hit this ball inside out to the forehand side, or down the line. This drill will really teach you that you need to let it rip for this shot, mine are usually too passive and get me burned by the person hitting into the open court.

Other tips:

Get a deeper ball by moving the ball machine halfway between baseline and service line, or maybe closer.

Tomba
05-16-2006, 09:28 AM
This is my favorite drill with my ball machine. I put the ball machine inside the service line and put it at full blast( 90 mph), using different balls (condition and brands) and stand on the side of the trajectory. Sometimes when I feel confident, I stand right at it. If you are not alert and fast, you will get hit in the body or the face.

BeachTennis
05-16-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.tennisrobot.com/images/boomer.jpg
Boomer The Tennis Robot

The Ultimate Tennis Ball Machine

Meet "Boomer"- the toughest opponent you'd ever want to play. While other tennis ball machines can feed the ball, vary its speed, spin and placement, or even offer the user the option of entering a programmed sequence of shots, Boomer is the first tennis ball machine that allows the user to actually play against it. Boomer can serve, return, play out a point, call the lines and the score, rate the quality of your shots - even talk trash - and can do it any level of ability, from rank beginner to world champion.

Boomer drill mode
Boomer offers a variety of drills: groundstroke, volley, overhead, net, approach, serve and volley. All drills can be done at any selected level, from 2.0 to 7.0. After each drill, Boomer gives a score from 1 to 9 based on the average depth and width of the player's shots. Boomer is also capable of being customized to offer specific drills.

Bungalo Bill
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Tried this on the "Other Equipment" thread, but it didn't get any responses. Maybe I'll have better luck here!

I've only had my new machine for a few weeks and there isn't enough time in the day to work on everything I want to work on! What are your favorite drills? Here are some of mine (I have a Wilson Portable machine)

Inside-Out forehand
Move the machine so that it hits a weak shot down the adcourt line, a few feer from the sideline itself. Hit this ball inside out to the forehand side, or down the line. This drill will really teach you that you need to let it rip for this shot, mine are usually too passive and get me burned by the person hitting into the open court.

Other tips:

Get a deeper ball by moving the ball machine halfway between baseline and service line, or maybe closer.

An article here by Ron Waite is also very good regarding "Solo Practice". Ron is a very good coach.

http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_97_7.html

treo
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
One problem with entry level ball machines is that you always know which way the ball is going to go. Don't focus on the machine. Look away and focus on a tree outside the courts. Or do a 360 after hitting.

AngeloDS
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Too many people with ball machines practice incorrectly. How? Ball machines are really meant to help your footwork more than your strokes. Even with ball machines that don't oscillate.

Such as aim the ball machine to a corner. Start from the center mark, run out to hit a running forehand or backhand (where a lot of people have problems). Then return to the center and repeat. This will tire your fairly fast if you're not in good condition. Oscillating just run left to right. But the key is footwork.

The crisis is really a lot of people not taking those small steps before striking the ball. A lot of people take one large step and try to hit and end up not hitting the desired shot. Suprisingly, a lot of people just stand in one spot hitting inconsistent shots with a ball machine. If you're going to stand in one spot, with the same type of ball coming to groove your strokes you should be hitting the same shot each time.

The wall is where you should refine your stroke mechanics.

shindemac
05-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Oooo. Nice article for solo tennis. I already do a few of those things like serving and volleying against the backboard. Any specifics on what Johnny Mac did when he volleyed against the wall? Or is it pretty much stand 6 feet back and hit forehands, backhands, and then alternating?

I think ball machines allow you to work on so much more than footwork. I don't see why you can't work on stroke mechanics too. Sure you can use the wall for that, but the bounce is different and can cause you to overhit. The timing is also different and you need to readjust when you hit with a real person. I think the wall is really good for footwork cause you have half the time to react. It really forces you to move otherwise you won't be set up in time.

Ball machines also allow you to hit against different "people" you normally wouldn't face. You can crank up the power or spin settings. Set it for some heavy topspin, or practice against those slicers.