PDA

View Full Version : Odd situation I'm in

theartoftennis
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I've been playing for about 8 months now, and I can consider myself fairly decent. I can compete at the ZAT level, I guess you can say.

My question is on my FH. For about 2-3 months now I've been hitting with a Western grip. I LIKE to hit the ball with more of a drive(net clearance of 2-3 feet) and major topspin, but with my Western grip, it's like I'm hitting everything 6-7feet over the net with major topspin. I have no idea what I'm doing to make it get to high, because whenever I have a chance to hit a passing shot(which is extremelly common), I can easily drive that ball for a winner.
Everyone I know uses a Semi-Western, and have recommended me to switch back to it(Used it while I was first learning), and I've seriously considered it, since it will help me flatten out my strokes, which may get them lower, but I'm having ALOT of trouble with the stance. I understand I'm supposed to be closed, but I feel very unbalanced when I'm taking that step into the shot with my left foot(I'm a righty). It feels very uncomfortable.

I need your advice, Should I stick with the Western and learn to drive better, or switch back to the Semi- and get used to it. I have a tournament on the 19th, and I plan to practice every day of the week for about 2-3 hours.

Venetian
05-16-2006, 02:51 PM
You don't have to hit with a closed stance for any grip. You should be using all kinds of different stances depending on the specific shot. Every forehand you hit is different. Just try not to think about it and let your body decide how to move.

As for whether or not you should switch, that's up to you.

golden chicken
05-16-2006, 03:03 PM
you just need to hit THROUGH the ball more than brushing up from under it.

use your torso rotation to pull your racket through the contact point rather than, as i suspect you're doing, arming the ball from the shoulder

serveitup911
05-16-2006, 03:06 PM
If your swing is more horizontal, instead of vertical, you will hit a more driving shot. You can hit a very driving ball with a western grip, just make sure that your racket face is close to square at contact or the balls will start going into the net when you flatten out your swing.

GeorgeLucas
05-16-2006, 03:10 PM
If you feel comfortable in an open stance, that can actually benefit your western grip. I've tried the western grip and it aint bad. Don't count on ripping winners like Roddick anytime soon, buddy. If you want to stick with a western grip, you'll have to learn to hit farther in front of your body. You WONT, I repeat, WONT be able to get drive very easily with your western grip. With western, yeah you will get more topspin which will result in, overall, a more consistent game, but it's a compromise for the pace you are missing from semi-western. In the end it's all up to you. Can you fix up your shots to a semi-western, if you want to? Will you stick with your western topspin game? Will you walk out of that tournament and still talk to people in your neighborhood about it? Decide quickly!!

Freedom
05-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Just let your instincts out when you play.

theartoftennis
05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Practiced for a little while last night. Started hitting through the ball with my Western grip and it felt very good. Unfortunately it only lasted for about 5minutes, because I broke the strings about 4 inches from 12o'clock. Had to use my older, dead racquet, but I had decent results.

Decided to pull out of the tournament. Instead, on Saturday I have State Playoffs in my League.