PDA

View Full Version : Relief for lower back pain

sanitarium
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm 17 and am playing competetive tennis, I've got a tournament starting tommorow.

Anyway, long story short, my toss is too far to the right (i'm a lefty), therefore causing my lower right back muscle to be strained - I feel pain after/during the tennis.

Anyone have any relief ideas? I use deep heat, stretching and today I found out what the problem was so that will be corrected, but any ideas for now? thanks a lot.

Rickson
07-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Dude! Wrong healing approach! You're gonna hurt yourself 2 ways, first by applying heat to an injury, you're adding swelling to a bodypart that needs the swelling taken away. Secondly, by stretching, you're pulling on an already pulled muscle. My advice to you, ice, ice, ice! Rest your body, no more stretching, and no damn heat! Trust me, the last time I strained my back, I was walking normally again after 2 days. Ice and rest was all it took.

bigserving
07-01-2004, 03:03 PM
A safe and good thing for strengthening the back is to do "Supermans." You lie on your stomach, raise and extend your arms at the same time raising and extending your feet. You will want to look like Superman flying. I am not sure if that is the best instruction, but its about the best I can do!

It's an isometric that can strengthen without putting too much stress on your lower back.

I do them regularly and have no back problems and I serve a fair amount of kick serves. Knock Wood.

sanitarium
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Alright, so I should go for the RICE thing?
Rest ice elevation compression?

Are you completely sure about the heat thing? It's not swollen - heat would relax and loosen muscles? anyway I'll do something else.

Rickson
07-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Alright, so I should go for the RICE thing?
Rest ice elevation compression?

Are you completely sure about the heat thing? It's not swollen - heat would relax and loosen muscles? anyway I'll do something else.San, I was a personal trainer for over 6 years. Trust me, dude, I know about injuries. Heat will delay healing because as I stated before, you need to take away the swelling, not increase it. Heat has its place later on when the muscles have already healed, but not during the healing process. Ice takes away swelling and this will help you heal faster. I use heat when my muscles are not injured and it's a cold day out. A heating pad on the shoulder before serving's not a bad idea, but remember, no heat on an injury, no stretching an injured muscle. For injuries, rest and ice, trust me, that will get you through the injury.