PDA

View Full Version : Wet tennis ball

Neutron Star
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi... i am new to tennis as well as joining this forum. I really know very little about tennis... especially those technical terms and stuff, i don't really understand...so I likely will have questions coming up once in a while that may seem to be 'common sense' to you guys who have been playing tennis for quite a while. Please bear with me and be patient with me!

Anyway, i went to practice hitting the ball against a school brick wall in the evening, but it rained in the afternoon, so the ground was wet with occasional puddles. Today, there was very little wind, so i decided i should go practice or else, i don't know when's the next day that there's little/no wind and there's no rain at the time i decide to go practice.
Of course, i missed hitting the ball and it rolled into puddles and got wet. So my question is, is it bad for the ball to soak up water? Should i try to squeeze the water out of the ball or put it near a heater to dry it up faster? Or is it good enough to just use tissue to absorb whatever water is on the surface of the ball?
*Basically, how to maintain a tennis ball for a longer life span? (sorry, i know you guys might think why go through so much trouble asking for just a tennis ball.... but this ball is quite new, i don't want it to 'depreciate' so soon!) =)

Thank you very much~

TheSnowMan
05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
BEWARE: Water Kills Tennis Balls...
I don't know how to save a tennis ball if it's wet...

katastrof
05-17-2006, 02:46 AM
I usually hit it to the ground very fast or to the wall high up with some EXTREME spin. Gets rid of most of the water quickly, since felt is not very absorbant. That makes it playable for that day, but eventually the ball goes in the practice bin. You might try to play again with it if the ball hasn't stayed wet for long.

mowcopian
05-17-2006, 05:06 AM
i think tht as soon as u play with the tennis balls in rain that they lose their performance

mislav
05-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Judging by the way this thread is going, all tennis balls are manufactured by those aliens from the movie "Signs". :mrgreen:

Freedom
05-17-2006, 10:31 AM
^ No joke.

As long as it isn't soaked, it should be fine. Just bounce it around for a bit and try to get some of the water out. If it is soaked, get a new ball. It won't bounce very well, and it will be very heavy on your strings.

Welcome to the board.

Neutron Star
05-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey~~ Thank you everyone for your input!

To katastrof: yes, i find that when i hit the ball and when it bounces off the wall, some water comes out (like fireworks)... but of course, i can't and don't know how to do those spins that you're talking about! =P

To mowcopian: I won't play in rain, cuz i don't like getting wet myself! When i went yesterday, it stopped raining already, but the ground was still wet.

To Freedom: First of all, thank you for your 'welcome'! Umm... i guess it's not VERY soaked, but at least, when i squeeze the tennis ball with one hand, the tissue (which i wrapped around the ball) got wet... so i think the ball absorbed a bit of water inside, but not soaked too deep inside yet. Yes... yesterday evening, there was once when i bounce the ball to the ground and it didn't bounce too high back up... i guess the water was weighing it down or something. But when my racquet hit it and it bounce to the wall, water came out like fireworks... i guess that one time, it was very wet.

Today, i felt the ball and the surface seems dry... So, i guess next time, i should avoid practicing/playing if the ground is wet~ But recently, the weather is not cooperating... always have a chance of raining. And sometimes when it's not raining, there's wind >_<'. So that's why yesterday evening, when the rain stopped and there's no wind, i was desperate to go and practice. Anyway, thanks again everyone! (btw, if you're interested, i'm going to post a msg about buying a racquet in the racquet forum... the one i'm using now is borrowed from my brother. Give some opinions if you have time!).

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Judging by the way this thread is going, all tennis balls are manufactured by those aliens from the movie "Signs". :mrgreen:

those aliens were actually pretty scary -_-

katastrof
05-18-2006, 07:13 AM
To katastrof: yes, i find that when i hit the ball and when it bounces off the wall, some water comes out (like fireworks)... but of course, i can't and don't know how to do those spins that you're talking about! =P

Well, it doesn't have to be a shot in full form or anything, just smack it sideways as hard as you can. It's just basic physics: the more spin, the more water will come out the ball.
Bottom line: it's just a ball. Get some of those package deals so you won't feel too bad about wasting a few. If you want to play, don't let little water puddles or some light rain to get in your way.

roddick_rulz
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
usualy tennis balls don't last very long anyways. For someone who is a good player will notice it will die in about 3-4 hours and others will probably change every 7 hours or so.