PDA

View Full Version : Albany, NY

katastrof
05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Anyone in or around Albany, NY? Upstaters?

katastrof
05-18-2006, 07:18 AM
I live north of New York City (Scarsdale), so technically I'm "upstate" (suburban?), but I am nowhere, I MEAN NOWHERE! that far upstate!!! I think they probably still have snow on the ground!!! (lol)

Sounds like you are suffering the classic "upstate denial syndrome". Have it your way.
I am not underage, but thanks for the club info, I'll pass it to the kids around :)

silverwyvern4
05-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I live in Bethlehem

dubsplayer
05-19-2006, 03:39 AM
I live in Bethlehem

Me too!

Small world.

rasajadad
05-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I live about 1 1/2 hours away in SW VT. There is an excellent player (5.0 NTRP) named David Denny who lives there. He kicked my behind in a 50+ tourney last summer. I don't have his name, but I know he has his own construction co. Hope that helps! If you ever comt to VT, look me up.

katastrof
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
I live about 1 1/2 hours away in SW VT. There is an excellent player (5.0 NTRP) named David Denny who lives there. He kicked my behind in a 50+ tourney last summer. I don't have his name, but I know he has his own construction co. Hope that helps! If you ever comt to VT, look me up.
Sure. Might go up for a drive in a couple of months.

silverwyvern4 & dubsplayer: Well, Bethlehem is pretty close. Do you have any tennis clubs down there?
Look me up if you're in need of a hitting partner around the area. I haven't got a rating, but a 3.0 at best.

MegacedU
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, dear. I'd have to recommend Schenectady Racquet and Fitness for their Har-Tru and Tri-City for their resurfaced indoor courts. The one's at Lincoln Park are also kind of nice if you go at the right time as are the ones in Washington Park. I probably know you actually, if you're into the tennis scene.

katastrof
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I probably know you actually, if you're into the tennis scene.
I don't go to Schenactady too often (only to visit the Greek festival they have there sometimes). & didn't know there was a "tennis scene" in here :)

Who are you, then? We might have court acquaintance if you play in SUNY campus and/or Washington Park.

MegacedU
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't go to Schenactady too often (only to visit the Greek festival they have there sometimes). & didn't know there was a "tennis scene" in here :)

Who are you, then? We might have court acquaintance if you play in SUNY campus and/or Washington Park.
Oh boy, you go to SUNY? Then yes, I probably do know you. Awwwwkward.

dubsplayer
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Sure. Might go up for a drive in a couple of months.

silverwyvern4 & dubsplayer: Well, Bethlehem is pretty close. Do you have any tennis clubs down there?
Look me up if you're in need of a hitting partner around the area. I haven't got a rating, but a 3.0 at best.
I play at Capital Region (it's right off 787 on 9W.) It's not the nicest tennis club around (Tri-city is nicer) - but is only 5 minutes from my house and where my friends and I have had contracts for years. I also play some at the Bethlehem Town Park and at Ridgefield in the summer. You need to be a member but it's not expensive. The courts there are red clay. :)

There is also a nice summer program at one of the parks in Troy. I played there a few summers ago. Very active tennis scene.

MegacedU
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I play at Capital Region (it's right off 787 on 9W.) It's not the nicest tennis club around (Tri-city is nicer) - but is only 5 minutes from my house and where my friends and I have had contracts for years. I also play some at the Bethlehem Town Park and at Ridgefield in the summer. You need to be a member but it's not expensive. The courts there are red clay. :)

There is also a nice summer program at one of the parks in Troy. I played there a few summers ago. Very active tennis scene.
I used to teach there with 15love on Wednesdays. Tri-city is much nicer. I don't really like the employees at cap.reg. except mike, he's a nice guy.

Kaptain Karl
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Look for "vin" on these boards too. He's in Albany.

Capital Region? Formerly Southwood?

Ridgefield!!! I love their courts. (Red Clay, but American Red Clay; not that mush they play on in France.)

P.S. No. Not me. I haven't lived in Albany for 30 years....

- KK

katastrof
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh boy, you go to SUNY? Then yes, I probably do know you. Awwwwkward.
World is small, internet is even smaller. I take it you go to SUNY as well. Do you play for the team or something?

dubsplayer, Kaptain Karl: Thx. I'll check out Capital Region & Tri-city soon. If the Ridgefield you're talking about is in Ridgefield, CT, that seems out of my reach for the summer.

Kaptain Karl
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
... If the Ridgefield you're talking about is in Ridgefield, CT, that seems out of my reach for the summer.Nope. Check the Albany phone book. It's right in Albany.

- KK

MegacedU
05-23-2006, 08:31 PM
World is small, internet is even smaller. I take it you go to SUNY as well. Do you play for the team or something?

dubsplayer, Kaptain Karl: Thx. I'll check out Capital Region & Tri-city soon. If the Ridgefield you're talking about is in Ridgefield, CT, that seems out of my reach for the summer.
I don't go to SUNY, I don't even go to school in NY. But a know several people that do. And I'm quite partial to the bar scene. Haha.

katastrof
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Nope. Check the Albany phone book. It's right in Albany.

- KK
Arrghh, the one on Partridge! That's five minutes to where I live. Yeah, clay courts right in the middle of Albany, have been there couple of times, but nowadays it looks deserted. Thinking about visiting it regularly this summer.

MegacedU
05-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Lol everybody lives five minutes from Partridge. Can you believe the Partridge Pub closed?

katastrof
05-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't go to SUNY, I don't even go to school in NY. But a know several people that do. And I'm quite partial to the bar scene. Haha.
OK... I've seen your pics in the picture thread, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen you before.

From your previous post, seems like you're way ahead of me in tennis (you teach?), but still, drop an email if you want to hit/practice during summer.

katastrof
05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Lol everybody lives five minutes from Partridge. Can you believe the Partridge Pub closed?
I used to live three minutes away, but had to move.
Partridge was an OK pub, R.I.P. Crappy place, good crowd.

dubsplayer
05-24-2006, 04:30 AM
I've never been to the Partridge Pub, but am not a native Albanian. Ridgefield is actually called The Albany Tennis Club and you need to be a member to play. It probably looks deserted because it's only open for the season, and it's been so lousy that no ones been playing yet. They do have programs open to the non members (I know all this because the teaching pro who ran the Beth. Town programs is now the manager/pro there and I get his emails) Tuesdays from 6-8p and Sundays from 2-4. Cost is $10 (free for members) and it's pretty much only doubles. He gives a bit of instruction (kind of long winded at times) then puts you in a game with other people of your level.

The phone # is 438-8846 if anyone wants to check it out.

And yes, Capital Region is the old Southwood. Took me years to stop calling it that, but finally sunk in. Sort of like the Lipton/Nasdaq thingy.

Kaptain Karl
05-24-2006, 06:28 AM
If any of you run into Dave "The Whale" Denny, please be sure to say "KK says 'Hi!' to The Whale." (It's a nickname from when we played on the SUNYA team together. You won't get punched or anything. He'll probably laugh out loud.)

Report here if you do this. He won't know who "KK" is....

- KK

katastrof
05-24-2006, 06:46 AM
If any of you run into Dave "The Whale" Denny, please be sure to say "KK says 'Hi!' to The Whale." (It's a nickname from when we played on the SUNYA team together. You won't get punched or anything. He'll probably laugh out loud.)

Report here if you do this. He won't know who "KK" is....

- KK
Haha! The whale will get the message in case of contact. Does he play there? Is he a pro, work there etc... ?

So you played for the SUNYA team. Men's tennis team must have been abandoned sometime in the past, there's only women's tennis going on at the moment.

Kaptain Karl
05-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Haha! The whale will get the message in case of contact. Does he play there? Is he a pro, work there etc... ?He's one of the top few players in the Mens 50. His "official" nickname was "The Blue Whale." (If you see him, I'll let *him* tell you the story of how he earned that.)

So you played for the SUNYA team. Men's tennis team must have been abandoned sometime in the past, there's only women's tennis going on at the moment.Yeah. Back in the late '70s the SUNYA team was very good as DIII teams go. We beat Army and a few other DII teams easily. (I was the *least* academically oriented player on the team. Our Conference championships were always defaults by SUNYA. The "grinds" on the team didn't want to travel to the championships and miss any study time right before Finals. It was a team vote, with me being the only player lobbying for playing...!) "Oh well...!"

- KK

MegacedU
05-24-2006, 10:51 AM
OK... I've seen your pics in the picture thread, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen you before.

From your previous post, seems like you're way ahead of me in tennis (you teach?), but still, drop an email if you want to hit/practice during summer.
Will do. I'm probably not ahead of you at all in tennis. I'm good for a girl in our area and I can pretty much hold my own. I teach kids, mostly pre-teens, but some little kids and some older ones as well. I'll let you know.

What rating are you?

katastrof
05-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Will do. I'm probably not ahead of you at all in tennis. I'm good for a girl in our area and I can pretty much hold my own. I teach kids, mostly pre-teens, but some little kids and some older ones as well. I'll let you know.

What rating are you?
I don't know my rating, since I've been playing (seriously, at least) for about a year. I consider myself a beginner, I'd rank at most a 3.0. Not that good at all.

I'll start getting my rating when I'm more consistent with my serve. Haven't played much against big servers, so I've no return. So, basically, you'd hold your serve & possibly mine :)

What is your rating?

MegacedU
05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't know my rating, since I've been playing (seriously, at least) for about a year. I consider myself a beginner, I'd rank at most a 3.0. Not that good at all.

I'll start getting my rating when I'm more consistent with my serve. Haven't played much against big servers, so I've no return. So, basically, you'd hold your serve & possibly mine :)

What is your rating?
I've heard a variance of ratings from different teaching pros, I've had mnany coaches over the years. I was a strong 3.5 a couple years ago and probably a weak 4.5 now. But then again I haven't played in months.

vin
05-25-2006, 08:11 AM
katastrof,

USTA and WTT leagues are suprisingly popular in the area, especially at your level (you said you're about a 3.0). There's also a local ladder that you might enjoy. There's about 150 people on it and it's a great way to get a variety of matches.

If you're interested in getting involved in any of the above and need help finding the right people to contact, send me an email (use the board's email function).

I live in Rexford (Clifton Park basically) but I play all over.

I LOVE the red clay at Ridgefield, but unfortunately I don't get to play there much.

Meg,

I didn't realize you were so into the SUNY ghetto scene, but I used to live across the street from WT's. I used to love Bogies, but that was about 8 - 10 years ago. (Man, I'm starting to feel old)

katastrof
05-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I've heard a variance of ratings from different teaching pros, I've had mnany coaches over the years. I was a strong 3.5 a couple years ago and probably a weak 4.5 now. But then again I haven't played in months.
Sounds pretty good. I should see a coach sometime soon to clear this rating business, I think.

USTA and WTT leagues are suprisingly popular in the area, especially at your level (you said you're about a 3.0). There's also a local ladder that you might enjoy. There's about 150 people on it and it's a great way to get a variety of matches.
If you're interested in getting involved in any of the above and need help finding the right people to contact, send me an email (use the board's email function).
I live in Rexford (Clifton Park basically) but I play all over.
I LOVE the red clay at Ridgefield, but unfortunately I don't get to play there much.
Hmm, KK mentioned your name previously. Nice to hear there's so much going on in the area, the place always seemed "dead" to me, tenniswise. Must be the weather that does it.
I'll send you an email for info. Thx.

vin
05-25-2006, 09:39 AM
the place always seemed "dead" to me, tenniswise.

Once you get to 4.0 and above, it pretty much is, but that's probably the case anywhere that has a long and cold winter.

quicken
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
i live in latham .... lol

MegacedU
02-11-2008, 10:34 AM
i live in latham .... lol

Latham's sweet because they have that great traffic circle by the mattress place. Yep.

katastrof
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
So the Albany thread was bumped up after two years. Nice work :rolleyes:

quicken
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
yea i guess latham does have a descent traffic haha

MegacedU
02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
So the Albany thread was bumped up after two years. Nice work :rolleyes:

It's pretty epic, I am after all a cap city girl. Dog walking in Washington Park anyone?

quest01
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I live near Syracuse NY.

MegacedU
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I live near Syracuse NY.

Doesn't count. haha

quicken
02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I live near Syracuse NY.

its too far haha

MegacedU
02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Who wants to go out for milk and cookies when I'm back there a week from Saturday? Any takers?

katastrof
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Who wants to go out for milk and cookies when I'm back there a week from Saturday? Any takers?

Still under 21, Meg ? :shock:

I suggest you bring your racquet from Providence. I'm down if you wanna go for some indoor hitting in the afternoon & I'll buy the milk n' cookies afterwards :)

MegacedU
02-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Still under 21, Meg ? :shock:

I suggest you bring your racquet from Providence. I'm down if you wanna go for some indoor hitting in the afternoon & I'll buy the milk n' cookies afterwards :)
I'm not a member anywhere anymore except Shaker Ridge Country Club where I teach, but those courts are probably under several inches of snow. I'll definitely hit though if you can put up with my mediocrity as I haven't picked up a racquet since September. haha

katastrof
02-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not a member anywhere anymore except Shaker Ridge Country Club where I teach, but those courts are probably under several inches of snow. I'll definitely hit though if you can put up with my mediocrity as I haven't picked up a racquet since September. haha

I play in the bubble @ SUNY during the winter. I don't know if you ever played there, it has a strange surface with a slow playing bounce. I don't think it's a *legit* tennis court, but it's good enough for the collage team in winter, so it's good enough for me.

I'm eager to pick up the racquet as well, since most of my hitting partners retire during winter, I don't get to play as often. If you're mediocre, you'll do more than fine against me. Let me know about your schedule, and I'll shoot you an email with my contact.

MegacedU
02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I play in the bubble @ SUNY during the winter. I don't know if you ever played there, it has a strange surface with a slow playing bounce. I don't think it's a *legit* tennis court, but it's good enough for the collage team in winter, so it's good enough for me.

I'm eager to pick up the racquet as well, since most of my hitting partners retire during winter, I don't get to play as often. If you're mediocre, you'll do more than fine against me. Let me know about your schedule, and I'll shoot you an email with my contact.

I'd be happy to play in the bubble. However, I know the college team will probably have practice that week. I know a girl on the team so I'll see what the practice schedule is. I'm available every single day. I'm doing absolutely nothing. It pains me to get up before noon though so early afternoons work best for me. E-mail me your schedule at mokeefe3@providence.edu. I check this e-mail more.

MegacedU
02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Have a screen name?

quicken
02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
One thing about the bubble is that the nets are so hard to set up, since you have to move them around and that the lighting is so bad that I only can see the ball after it comes over the net. I didnt have really good experience there and my gosh feet squeaks like crazy haha. Tri City is a great place to hit, but their pricing is ridiculous so expensive.

MegacedU
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I miss Tri-City. I used to be there every weekend. I'm a little embarrassed to go back there now though.

katastrof
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd be happy to play in the bubble. However, I know the college team will probably have practice that week. I know a girl on the team so I'll see what the practice schedule is. I'm available every single day. I'm doing absolutely nothing. It pains me to get up before noon though so early afternoons work best for me. E-mail me your schedule at mokeefe3@providence.edu. I check this e-mail more.

Hmm OK, that's a pretty good schedule I must say. I don't use AIM, but I'll send you an email with all the details n stuff. Usually, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays & Fridays are perfect for me for late afternoons; other days would work too but it'd have to be later or I'd have to move things around.

I think the team practices with a rigid schedule every week, I'll look into this too, as well other things that keep the bubble occupied.

quicken
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey could I get a schedule of their training sessions too? I mean I want to hit with my friends over there, and I dont want to clash with their training =( any help would be gladly appreicated...
my email is

rlaehgund@gmail.com

thank you :D

zhengb
09-27-2008, 01:40 PM
does anyone play down in coxsackie ny?

MegacedU
09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
does anyone play down in coxsackie ny?

Only the prisoners! :)

zhengb
10-01-2008, 04:24 PM
haha true!
but anyone wanna travel down form albany and hit

DCaicedo
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Will be in Albany next Wed into Thurs- could play early Thurs AM at the Capital Region Tennis and Fitness club.

Any other folks around?

MegacedU
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Wish I had seen this, I've got a connection there and could've had us both play for free!

DCaicedo
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
S'alright. Had a good time there regardless!