PDA

View Full Version : Choked again

Arafel
05-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Blew another match last night to someone I should have beat. I'm having trouble with a lot of these 4.5 players who don't give you much pace to hit with. I can't find a rhythm and before I know it I'm pushing the ball back.

But, by staying steady I managed to win the first set 6-0 and was up 4-2 and serving. Had game point, long rally, she hit a nice hard shot for once and it took me by surprise and I missed the return. Lost the next two points, including one on a double fault. Came back and broke her. Served for match. Had match point at 5-4, jumped into a backhand too close to my body and hit it long, then lost the next 10 points and the set. Lost the last set 6-1.

I'm getting so frustrated. In practice, I can hit the ball nice and hard and I'm relaxed. Then I get into these matches against people I should beat and I get way too tentative and can't hit out on it, and since I'm a better player when I'm playing agressively I just fall to pieces.

Anyone have any tips for calming yourself mentally so you can play under pressure?

Bungalo Bill
05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Blew another match last night to someone I should have beat. I'm having trouble with a lot of these 4.5 players who don't give you much pace to hit with. I can't find a rhythm and before I know it I'm pushing the ball back

4.5 pushers? Are you sure they are 4.5?

kevhen
05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Wow, I don't think I have ever played any 4.5 guys (oops I see you were playing a 4.5 woman) who didn't hit with pace, but I know the feeling barely winning over two good 4.0 doubles players last night who keep the ball low with no pace so it's hard to throw up a good lob especially as windy as it was last night and then it's hard to hit a good passing shot as well and they are good volleyers. But with my 4.5 partner we won 4-6, 6-1, 7-5, but I didn't play too well due to the wind and the style of our opponents.

Don't try to hit a no-pace ball too hard! Just hit back at a similar pace with good depth and wait for another ball that you feel more comfortable attacking.

Bungalo Bill
05-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Wow, I don't think I have ever played any 4.5 guys (oops I see you were playing a 4.5 woman) who didn't hit with pace, but I know the feeling barely winning over two good 4.0 doubles players last night who keep the ball low with no pace so it's hard to throw up a good lob especially as windy as it was last night and then it's hard to hit a good passing shot as well and they are good volleyers. But with my 4.5 partner we won 4-6, 6-1, 7-5, but I didn't play too well due to the wind and the style of our opponents.

Don't try to hit a no-pace ball too hard! Just hit back at a similar pace with good depth and wait for another ball that you feel more comfortable attacking.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH, yeah, I skipped over the "she" part. Oh well.

jb193
05-17-2006, 08:00 AM
If you are playing someone that is pushing you and you don't feel comfortable "attacking" by blowing them off the court or coming to the net to inevitably hit overheads, you are basically going to have to push back. Of course, your version of pushing can be a bit offensive. For instance, last week when playing a defensive guy, I intentionally hit short cross court, then deep cross court and then ran him across the court by going down the line, all the while, sprinkling in some safe power shots every now and then. I was hoping that he would get tired of moving all over the court all the time. Mentally, from the get go, I prepared myself for some extremely long rallies. Inevitably, though, his patience wore thin and he started giving me some errors. So, use your weapons. Use consistency, placement, depth, and maybe some discretionary power to beat your opponent. To me, that is one of the great challenges of playing a defensive player, they truly test many aspects of your tennis ability.

Andres
05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Blew another match last night to someone I should have beat. I'm having trouble with a lot of these 4.5 players who don't give you much pace to hit with. I can't find a rhythm and before I know it I'm pushing the ball back.
If 4.5's doesn't give you the pace to hit with, then you must be like 5.5 or 6.0... if that's the case... why are you playing against them?

So basically, they're the ones who doesn't give you much pace to hit with, but you're the one pushing? I don't get that ;)

Arafel
05-17-2006, 08:40 AM
If 4.5's doesn't give you the pace to hit with, then you must be like 5.5 or 6.0... if that's the case... why are you playing against them?

So basically, they're the ones who doesn't give you much pace to hit with, but you're the one pushing? I don't get that ;)

I prefer playing in the Open tournaments, but still have a 4.5 computer rating and got recruited for a league. When people give me softer shots, I sometimes have trouble finding my range, and my shots will fly long. When that happens a few times, I get tight and then I start pushing my shots just to make sure they land in.

I've always preferred just reacting. Having time to setup shots makes me overthink. When playing with people who hit hard, it's not an issue, because I can get in a groove.

Does that make more sense to you perhaps? I need to figure out to how to avoid getting tight, or, failing that, how to loosen up again and start swinging freely when I DO get tight.

kevhen
05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Are your problems on your backhand or forehand side? If the ball is slow then run around and hit with your better side. Also practice hitting no-pace balls by dropping on your weaker side when starting practice rallies.

TennisAsAlways
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM

But, by staying steady I managed to win the first set 6-0 and was up 4-2 and serving. Had game point, long rally, she hit a nice hard shot for once and it took me by surprise and I missed the return. Lost the next two points, including one on a double fault. Came back and broke her. Served for match. Had match point at 5-4, jumped into a backhand too close to my body and hit it long, then lost the next 10 points and the set. Lost the last set 6-1.

I'm getting so frustrated. In practice, I can hit the ball nice and hard and I'm relaxed. Then I get into these matches against people I should beat and I get way too tentative and can't hit out on it, and since I'm a better player when I'm playing agressively I just fall to pieces.

Anyone have any tips for calming yourself mentally so you can play under pressure?
I prefer playing in the Open tournaments, but still have a 4.5 computer rating and got recruited for a league. When people give me softer shots, I sometimes have trouble finding my range, and my shots will fly long. When that happens a few times, I get tight and then I start pushing my shots just to make sure they land in.

I've always preferred just reacting. Having time to setup shots makes me overthink. When playing with people who hit hard, it's not an issue, because I can get in a groove.

Does that make more sense to you perhaps? I need to figure out to how to avoid getting tight, or, failing that, how to loosen up again and start swinging freely when I DO get tight.A common tactic against pushers is to take the aggressive initiative by netrushing and ending points quickly. Sometimes, however, this may not work though: as in your instance of that particular match, for some reason I think that if you were to attack the net then you probably would of had more errors than not, since your opponent caused you to be really frustrated (mental breakdown — it happens!).

Then there's always the "pushing-back" tactic. .... Whomever remains the most consistent gets the points. In your case, of that match, this may not be advantageous for you, since I'm sensing that you are NOT a pusher, therefore playing like one will "get to you" — in your head you may feel that you are doing something out of the norm, therefore such thoughts like that do nothing but add to the list of the unneeded distractions (You may become angry at yourself due to the fact that you're resorting to "pushing" etc.)! So it is possible that pushing-back can be of no benefit, but can hurt you even more by impeding you from getting back into the groove with your normal game style etc.

Under the circumstance that you were in, I think that mainly baseline bashing (I really mean "BASHING" too!) would have helped you to regain that edge of confidence that you very much needed to pull back into that match.

Sometimes rather than letting things get to you — like the fact that you were dominating at first and then the "PUSHER" took the lead —, it may be a good idea to pick things up again, dexterously, rather than make drastic tactical changes.

By bashing from the baseline, you can get into the groove again. Yes I know that you have described that the opponent gave you no pace, but by bashing hard, that pusher may have well just pushed the ball back harder. Plus, once you get into the groove of the baseline groundstrokes, your consisitency increases, and that may be your missing link of confidence. With consistent bashing, pushers should get in trouble.

And when you do focus on the baseline bashing, you want to keep the high percentage shots in mind as well (e.g., crosscourt shots).

Of course, this is all in accordance to how I picture your situation.

New expericence for you. Chalk it up and remember everything from it. If it doesn't kill you it'll only make you stronger.

Good day now. 8)

brucie
05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Against pushers in doubles I try to hit real hard with tonnes of topspin it lands and kicks unpredictably especially in doubles try to make them half volley a heavy dipper. In singles I just bang it

Arafel
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Sounds like just hitting out until I find my range and accepting that I might lose a few games early is the way to go.

BeachTennis
05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Its not a matter of he or she or how hard they hit the ball

they are nameless and faceless

One must play the way they have learned to play.

Tennis is a game of hitting to targets under stress.

can you do it?

Like being in the pool hall playing $100 8 ball

can you pocket the 8 !

Its not about the big shot !

It is about making the shots

play behind the player

hit to your targets and make shots

tennis is a very forgiving sport

every set starts at love -love

every game a love-love

try not to loose more then 2 point per game

try to win 3 points in a row

read this at tennis week
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15314&bannerregion=

shindemac
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
What happened to you the last set?

I would play against lower ranked players, like 3.5 maybe. There should be tons of pushers at that level. Learn to beat them. AFter that, you can play back at your level and dominate the hard-hitters and pushers.

TennisAsAlways
05-17-2006, 07:20 PM

can you do it?

Like being in the pool hall playing $100 8 ball

can you pocket the 8 !

Its not about the big shot !

It is about making the shots

play behind the player

hit to your targets and make shots

tennis is a very forgiving sport

every set starts at love -love

every game a love-love

try not to loose more then 2 point per game

try to win 3 points in a row

read this at tennis week
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15314&bannerregion=That advice is not too shabby! I knew you could do it!

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 08:14 AM

can you do it?

Wow, not bad advice, this is why I laugh when people "kid" of my "former USPTA membership". My thing? Can one do it? Can one pass the USPTA test, hit the targets on all strokes while being nervous and under scrutiny?

It's not as easy as it seems, pup. ;)

Thanks for the tips!

Freedom
05-18-2006, 08:55 AM
If she wasn't giving you pace, why didn't you serve and volley?

Arafel
05-18-2006, 10:07 AM
What happened to you the last set?

I would play against lower ranked players, like 3.5 maybe. There should be tons of pushers at that level. Learn to beat them. AFter that, you can play back at your level and dominate the hard-hitters and pushers.

Lost a multi-deuce game in at the first game of the set and by then my confidence was gone. Racquet arm felt like it was weighed down by a ton of lead.

Arafel
05-18-2006, 10:07 AM
If she wasn't giving you pace, why didn't you serve and volley?

Don't really know how to do it in singles to well. It's a skill I've never mastered, though I should.

Freedom
05-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, even if you don't serve and volley, you should try to get to the net as much as possible against a pusher.

BeachTennis
05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow, not bad advice, this is why I laugh when people "kid" of my "former USPTA membership". My thing? Can one do it? Can one pass the USPTA test, hit the targets on all strokes while being nervous and under scrutiny?

It's not as easy as it seems, pup. ;)

Thanks for the tips!

BB,

I did it when i was 18 (1984) and this guy was my tester!
George Bacso served as USPTA's Director of Certification

18 year olds can not be P1, but this dork did pass the playing test,written test and grip test.

The private and the groupe we easy !

But 18 year olds can not be P1

Thanks

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
BB,

I did it when i was 18 (1984) and this guy was my tester!
George Bacso served as USPTA's Director of Certification

18 year olds can not be P1, but this dork did pass the playing test,written test and grip test.

The private and the groupe we easy !

But 18 year olds can not be P1

Thanks

Where the PTR and USPTA test have their bad rap is in consistency of testing strickness.

Some testers seem to hand the certification like water, and others can be very strict and make it difficult. You still have to perform.

jackson vile
05-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Not to be rude here but I have seen this same thing happen and the thing is there is no excuse, you should be able to put the game away with just serve and serve return alone, not to mention volley and drop shots.

This same thing happend to my wife, I looked her in the eye and said "What do you expect, for the (that 3.5) player to give you the game?" I told her that she was the better player with amazing shots as usual, but this was her game and to make it her game.

You have to go out there and make it your and control and dominate, don't run for balls and work so hard on powderpuff balls, make them run for drops and slices, make them flinch on the serve, punish them on their serve.

It is yours to win or lose, I told my wife " If you can't put away a 3.5, then why the heck are you playing with 4.5?"

That did it right there, She amped up the serve, drove the opponents serve down their throat, and volley and droped everthing else and she is not even very good at the net.

Personally I look at it as a challenge and think "I want to win it all at all levels ect, I want to be the person with no excuses or reasons for lose"

You have to adjust keep your head and want it more.

Have you ever been in a situation where you are on serve and can't finish on your ad and it keeps going to duece, or in a tie breaker that just won't end.

At some point one person will give up.

When I beat those 3.5 that I am not even supposed to be good enough to play against, I wanted it more and I gave all I had and did not leave anything for the game and set ect, and what I have found out with each and every person is that when you are hamering the ball back & forth or running for balls ect

At some point someone will give, the will say "Uncle" and they stop hitting so hard, stop running balls down, stop serving so spinny or fast.

They give up, don't be one of them, don't be afraid to lose, don't leave any regrets on the court ie "Let it all hang out, if you are going to lose, lose your way:cool: "-Jackson Vile