PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the heavy ball

vkartikv
05-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I have checked out all the 'useful links' threads but I couldn't find out whether the string pattern on your racquet makes any difference in the 'heaviness' of the ball you hit.

My 5.0 level friend who uses an old i.prestige MP constantly gives me trouble with heavy balls, both at the net and at the baseline. He broke his strings the other day and I let him borrow my 6.1s. I found that his balls were easier to hit though he had not changed his swingstyle or path or his body positioning during the stroke. Is it just a case of him not being used to the racquet or does string pattern influence how heavy you hit the ball?

Kaptain Karl
05-17-2006, 09:07 AM
It's his familiarity with the racket. (I doubt you could even *measure* the contribution of string pattern to hitting a heavy ball.)

- KK

vkartikv
05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks KK. I was unsure whether a dense pattern is more helpful in hitting heavy..

kevhen
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
More spin and more power are probably more related to a more open string pattern. Probably the weight and balance of the frame had more to do with his shots feeling less heavy than the string pattern or string tension. Lots of variables!

Midlife crisis
05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Read this thread for more information regarding spin generating capability:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99460

A "heavy" ball is nothing more than a ball with enough incoming spin that it loses less speed during the bounce than you expect and makes you late at impact because you're not used to that amount of spin. Once you've gained experience and can time the impact properly, the "heaviness" of that shot will for the most part go away.