PDA

View Full Version : Momentum in matches - check this out

sureshs
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
From tennisweek.com:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15314&bannerregion=

Bungalo Bill
05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
From tennisweek.com:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15314&bannerregion=

Good one. I think this is hard to measure given so many "unseen" things to consider regarding "momentum".

I am of the sort that subscribes to the theory of "momentum". After watching my favorite college team (USC) lose to an inferior team (Texas), I am a firm beleiver momentum must play a roll in all sports even if it is slight.

When Reggie Bush made that bone head lateral as he was on the 10 yard line, the momentum shift was huge. Texas saw hope, and USC went hiding for the second quarter. Had Reggie simply held on to the ball and then scored on the next play, the game would have been over and Texas would have proved to be the second place team that they really are.

USC had several other chances to put away the game, but had terrible calls against them and their momentum kept getting stifled.

So, even though this article may take a more statistical measure on what is "true" momentum, I believe it is there and is more of a spirit shift then anything else.

Even though Texas won the game, it is still better to wake up being a Trojan anyday of the year. :)

ohplease
05-17-2006, 08:31 AM
From tennisweek.com:

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

kevhen
05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Good article. Clay or slower surfaces are going to favor those in great shape in the third set and also those who are more consistent\smarter as they have adjusted to the opponent so the more aggressive opponent may run out of winners.

On grass, the winner of the first was was able to rally in the third, probably because they lost focus and let up a little in the second set after winning the first and just went back to being more aggressive in the third now that the match is on the line again.

Interesting article on momentum. It does happen alot where one player feels defeated and sort of gives up in the later sets despite starting strong and being close at the start.

sureshs
05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
At what level does momentum start making sense (even though the article says it has very little impact)? 5.0? Does it have any relevance at all below that?

kevhen
05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Momentum is huge at the lower levels as mentally weak players give in instead of fighting the momentum shifts and swinging them back in their favor. Momentum is more mental than anything. If you believe you can win, you focus and fight hard for every point. If you are worried about losing, you lose focus and start making errors and eventually give up.

DrewRafter8
05-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Good one. I think this is hard to measure given so many "unseen" things to consider regarding "momentum".

I am of the sort that subscribes to the theory of "momentum". After watching my favorite college team (USC) lose to an inferior team (Texas), I am a firm beleiver momentum must play a roll in all sports even if it is slight.

When Reggie Bush made that bone head lateral as he was on the 10 yard line, the momentum shift was huge. Texas saw hope, and USC went hiding for the second quarter. Had Reggie simply held on to the ball and then scored on the next play, the game would have been over and Texas would have proved to be the second place team that they really are.

USC had several other chances to put away the game, but had terrible calls against them and their momentum kept getting stifled.

So, even though this article may take a more statistical measure on what is "true" momentum, I believe it is there and is more of a spirit shift then anything else.

Even though Texas won the game, it is still better to wake up being a Trojan anyday of the year. :)

Ahh yes, I can feel your pain. NFC Conference Championship. Although I do say that the injuries killed the Panther's momentum before they even got on the plane.

Freedom
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I believe in momentum. Sure it's purely psychological, but when you put two evenly-matched players/teams against each other, the winning team will usually be the one who is stronger mentally. Surely there are factors that can make a difference (rulings, luck, weather, etc.) but for the most part, sports are very mental.

sureshs
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Second follow up article in tennisweek.com

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15331&bannerregion=