PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 in Alabama = 3.5 in Florida = 3.5 in Iowa

kevhen
05-17-2006, 12:45 PM
A guy from Alabama played on my 4.0 team in Iowa and had just gotten bumped up from 3.5 after winning Districts in Alabama. He was a weak-solid 4.0 which is consistent with where a guy would be if he had gotten bumped up to 4.0 in Iowa.

Another guy who is still rated 3.5 but plays #1 moved to Florida this spring and played in a tournament there and won his first 3.5 round in straight sets and then lost the second round in 3 sets. Looks like he is a competitive 3.5 down there as well.

I have played a top 4.0 from Kansas City and we were even too.

So to me it looks like 3.5 and 4.0 ratings are fairly consistent in different parts of the country at least in Alabama-Iowa-Florida-Kansas. I guess I need to play a 4.0 from California to do the west coast test.

Jon Hampton
05-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I think you're going to find pretty good consistency in the "tennis states", which is pretty much anywhere with warm weather. I would imagine that people from up north--New York, Maine, Michigan--would be slightly different from the norm, since a good chunk of the year is taken out because of inclimate weather. Everyone agree?

Othello
05-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I think you're going to find pretty good consistency in the "tennis states", which is pretty much anywhere with warm weather. I would imagine that people from up north--New York, Maine, Michigan--would be slightly different from the norm, since a good chunk of the year is taken out because of inclimate weather. Everyone agree?

Inclement weather... You're in college, right? (I kid, I kid :p )

katastrof
05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
It's not taken out really, what happened to indoors?
But yes, it takes people a lot more effort, energy & willingness to arrange indoor games, play in tournaments, etc... I played indoors this whole winter, but many people just drop their racquets, I guess.
So, I hereby start working on inventing "snow tennis". If this thing can be played on the beach, it should be played on snow as well.

papa
05-18-2006, 05:24 AM
A guy from Alabama played on my 4.0 team in Iowa and had just gotten bumped up from 3.5 after winning Districts in Alabama. He was a weak-solid 4.0 which is consistent with where a guy would be if he had gotten bumped up to 4.0 in Iowa.

Another guy who is still rated 3.5 but plays #1 moved to Florida this spring and played in a tournament there and won his first 3.5 round in straight sets and then lost the second round in 3 sets. Looks like he is a competitive 3.5 down there as well.

So to me it looks like 3.5 and 4.0 ratings are fairly consistent in different parts of the country at least in Alabama-Iowa-Florida-Kansas. I guess I need to play a 4.0 from California to do the west coast test.

Well, you can't base something like this on one or two players or even a small group. Age, court surface, temperature, etc. are all factors. There is a great deal of "age group" play in Florida as compared with anything else.

kevhen
05-18-2006, 06:08 AM
We have indoor facilities up north and the serious club player probably plays even more in the winter.

joe sch
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
The problem with ratings is sandbagging !

What is soo nice about reaching an open level is there are still many skill differences but most players have enough weapons to compete in most matches :)

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 08:48 AM

There will be some consistency and then again there won't. Your main culpret to the ratings is sandbagging and what is going on in the area. But for the most part it will pan out.

But I can tell you that the 3.5 USTA team that I saw here in Boise would get beat by a 3.5 team in the Irvine area of California.

Roforot
05-18-2006, 11:37 AM
The problem with ratings is sandbagging !

What is soo nice about reaching an open level is there are still many skill differences but most players have enough weapons to compete in most matches :)

I agree and the open level (or rather 5.0) is my eventual tennis goal.
3-4 years ago I started playing tennis regularly and I was playing 4.5s fairly competitively till 1 year ago when I developed a knee injury. I've worked back to 3.5 level now; in some ways though I think I'm going to come back even stronger as I had to work on a lot of things like a topspin serve, footwork, match strategy. I hope to regain ability to consistently hit powerful winners b/c for 5.0 level that's a must, but am having fun during this process.

Freedom
05-18-2006, 11:40 AM
So, I hereby start working on inventing "snow tennis". If this thing can be played on the beach, it should be played on snow as well.

I'd invest in that. ;)

kevhen
05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, snow tennis will likely become as popular as snow volleyball.

cak
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM
There will be some consistency and then again there won't. Your main culpret to the ratings is sandbagging and what is going on in the area. But for the most part it will pan out.

But I can tell you that the 3.5 USTA team that I saw here in Boise would get beat by a 3.5 team in the Irvine area of California.

I agree, I think the the difference between the best say, 3.5 team in a section and the worst 3.5 team is huge. But the difference between the best 3.5 teams in every section across the country is probably a lot closer. So in the end it does all pan out.

buder
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
3.5 in Alabama = 2.5 in Florida = 1.5 in San Diego

papa
05-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Met and played with and against many excellent players from Bama so don't be so quick about slaming their ability. Equation looks interesting but I couldn't help but notice that two States are compared to one City - think its rather laughable anyway.

tonysk83
05-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Not true here in Illinois. Most serious player play numerous times a week indoors. I know in the winter I play 5-6 days indoors.

beernutz
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
3.5 in Alabama = 2.5 in Florida = 1.5 in San Diego

Based on your extensive experience playing 3.5s from Alabama? I think it was 9 years ago that a local 3.5 team finished #2 in the country. I guess the Cali teams they were playing must have hit like 1.5s.

SunDog
05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Beernutz,

I happened to be in Mobile yesterday - at the MTC. I also happened to witness the deciding men's 3.5 usta league match between the two top teams. One was 10-0 going in, one was 9-1. The winner took all. The 9-1 team won and finished the season on top. I got to know the some of the winning team that night - they were some very nice fellows. After the match we played a pick up match - with three of them and one of me.

As I am a newly bumped 4.0 that was on the TN 3.5 championship team last year - I can attest that the level of tennis in Mobile is very impressive. I definitely was not the best guy on the court (even considering that I was significantly under the weather). I saw some good folks at the Southern Sectionals last year - and your Mobile compatriots would have been right in the running.

BTW - the MTC is impressive. I hope to get back there some day.

Jon Hampton
05-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Inclement weather... You're in college, right? (I kid, I kid :p )

Haha. Easy there, Othello. And, no I'm not in college anymore. I graduated with a B.A. in English...literature that is, which proves absolutely nothing about my ability to spell things. :) And, as they say,

I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise,
Regardless of others, ever regardful of others,
Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man.

In the future, I'll be sure to watch out for your spelling errors :)

Bungalo Bill
05-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Haha. Easy there, Othello. And, no I'm not in college anymore. I graduated with a B.A. in English...literature that is, which proves absolutely nothing about my ability to spell things. :) And, as they say,

I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise,
Regardless of others, ever regardful of others,
Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man.

In the future, I'll be sure to watch our for your spelling errors :)

It is "I'll be sure to watch out not our for your spelling errors." :)

Jon Hampton
05-20-2006, 05:08 AM
In the future, I'll be sure to watch out for your spelling errors :)

Isn't that what I said? Haha.

Ronaldo
05-20-2006, 06:04 AM

Beware of playing any 3.5 team from Puerto Rico, must send their best to the Nationals.

Bungalo Bill
05-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Beware of playing any 3.5 team from Puerto Rico, must send their best to the Nationals.

sandbaggers, :)

beernutz
05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey SunDog, I am glad you had a good experience at the MTC. I believe it is the largest public tennis facility in the world and we play there all the time in league. The newspaper this morning said the city was budgeting $600K to resurface all the courts, which is a good thing since it is used pretty much year round.

I should just have let the goofball's statement that a 3.5 in Alabama == 1.5 in San Diego stand without comment because it is so rediculous it didn't deserve a reply. I just can't help getting sucked into a flamefest sometimes.

Congrats on making the move to 4.0.

Beernutz,

I happened to be in Mobile yesterday - at the MTC. I also happened to witness the deciding men's 3.5 usta league match between the two top teams. One was 10-0 going in, one was 9-1. The winner took all. The 9-1 team won and finished the season on top. I got to know the some of the winning team that night - they were some very nice fellows. After the match we played a pick up match - with three of them and one of me.

As I am a newly bumped 4.0 that was on the TN 3.5 championship team last year - I can attest that the level of tennis in Mobile is very impressive. I definitely was not the best guy on the court (even considering that I was significantly under the weather). I saw some good folks at the Southern Sectionals last year - and your Mobile compatriots would have been right in the running.

BTW - the MTC is impressive. I hope to get back there some day.