PDA

View Full Version : Forehand spin compared with backhand spin

neverbeliedtoagain
05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi.
Just post the kinds of spin and amount of spin you put on your forehand and backhands (include grips too) for the average baseline rally shot. I'm interested in how much people differentiate. I know it's hard to compare the spins due to lack of precise measurements, but a "feeling" of comparison is also interesting. For example, Nadal I believe uses much more topspin on his forehand wing than backhand, but Agassi uses similar amounts of spin.

For me:
Forehand: SW grip, moderate to heavy topspin
Two handed backhand: continental/SW, slight to moderate topspin
One handed slice: continental, moderate to heavy backspin

Noveson
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
My personal style....

Forehand: SW, moderate topspin to keep the ball deep, flatten out once in a while and sometimes use slice approaches on a low ball

Th backhand: flatter than my forehand, mainly used for drives

shindemac
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Forehand: flat
Backhand: flat or heavy slice

I think someone should invent a machine to measure spin-rate.

LowProfile
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Well by definition, a forehand should be able to have a higher maximum threshold for spin than a backhand. That is not to say that all players use more topspin on their forehand side than one their backhand side. It simply means that with extreme western grips, there will always be the potential for more topspin on the forehand. The extreme western backhand grips can come close (see Thomas Muster) but simply cannot match the spin possible on the forehand side.

Frenchie
05-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Forehand: Western Grip, heavy topspin, very reliable
2H Backhand: Flat and penetrating with moderate topspin, unreliable ;)

tank_job
07-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Reviving this thread. Let's keep it going.

My forehand (western): heavy topspin rally ball, occasional lucky flat winner

1hbh (semi-western): heavy topspin when I hit it right

rkelley
07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi.
Just post the kinds of spin and amount of spin you put on your forehand and backhands (include grips too) for the average baseline rally shot. I'm interested in how much people differentiate. I know it's hard to compare the spins due to lack of precise measurements, but a "feeling" of comparison is also interesting. For example, Nadal I believe uses much more topspin on his forehand wing than backhand, but Agassi uses similar amounts of spin.

For me:
Forehand: SW grip, moderate to heavy topspin
Two handed backhand: continental/SW, slight to moderate topspin
One handed slice: continental, moderate to heavy backspin

Only difference for me is that I use a strong E. grip instead of a SW on the forehand, otherwise about the same. Maybe a bit more topspin on the bh, but they can be pretty flattish sometime.

pkshooter
07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Fh: sw just enough topspin to keep it in ( I brake strings frequently though)
Bh: nonexistent :) top when I'm feelin strong slice for when I'm not

mightyrick
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
FH: Eastern grip - Flat, minimal topspin, heavy sidespin, medium-to-high-pace, highly reliable
BH: One-Handed Eastern for slice, moderately reliable

Fuji
07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I'll join in...

FH: SW grip - Semi-heavy topspin. Conti - Slice returns
BH: 2HBH with SW/Conti - Dead flat to moderate topspin
BH: 1HBH - Conti - Slice- Extremely heavy spin

-Fuji

OldFedIsOld
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Forehand: Eastern with a lot of topspin, I do the windshield wiper with very fast racquet head speed.
Backhand: Eastern with a lot of topspin, I brush up on the back of the ball as much as Wawrinka does.

Can't tell which shot has more topspin, they both kick pretty good when they land.

TeflonTom
07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
FH: Moderate SW, decent topspin
BH: Strong Eastern, moderate to good topspin when i work the back o the ball

that said, i tend to like to hit balls flatter than most ppl my age, mainly due 2 growin up on grasscourts.

also junk up the bh a lot. every few shots will throw in a slice... mine has nice penetration n bein a lefty its a good way 2 draw errors on their fh. its surprisin how many players (even college players) completely break down mentally when they start 2 regularly lose crosscourt rallies on their fh.