PDA

View Full Version : what a good grip to use for........

tnkGod4tns
05-17-2006, 10:58 PM
half volleys, either forehand or backhand??

andyroddick's mojo
05-18-2006, 12:26 AM
you can use either your normal groundstroke grip or your volley grip. I use my volley grip (continental) for really short half volleys, like when I'm running up, and I use my normal groundstroke grip(semi-western) if i have more time, so I can put some spin and placement on the ball. Depends what feels right at the right time. Don't think about it too much.

Tennismastery
05-18-2006, 10:00 AM

I recommend the continental grip. Here's why: If you are coming in to the net or are already positioned there, you will want to be holding your continental grip so you can be ready to volley a hard hit ball. If the ball comes at your feet as in a half volley situation, then you can come up with the ball with your continental grip by simply adjusting the angle of the racquet to accomadate the upward bounce coming up to your racquet by adjusting the wrist position. (Obviously, I'm talking about closing the racquet face slightly.) If the ball comes slow enough to bounce or slows down enough because of the bounce, you can always switch to your more topspin orientated grip...easter to western forehands, two hand or an eastern backhand grip on the backhand.

If you use the continental, you will learn to master more effective touch and angles off both the volley as well as the half-volley, something that many who use the eastern grips for ether side or either shot don't learn to do very well.

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Keep the continental if you are coming in from your serve, switch to the continental if you are coming in from your groundies.

For half-volleys and after hitting groundies you can hit from the Easterns but as you close the net, the best grips for volleying are the continental.