PDA

View Full Version : Toss before or after warmup

Mladen
05-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Pros first do the toss, choose to serve or receive, or choose the side, and then they begin the warmup on particular side. On club level (in my area) we first do the warmup, and then do the toss. The problem is if someone who win the toss choose to switch sides. That may be smart in sunny or windy conditions. Is that fair? When you do the toss? (Sorry on my english).

Return_Ace
05-18-2006, 03:19 AM
i soooooooooo read that title the wrong way :/

Mladen
05-18-2006, 05:28 AM
I am sorry but I don't know how to say that on english. When I say 'do the toss' I mean toss the coin (or spin the racket) before match to decide who is going to serve first or choose side.

theace21
05-18-2006, 05:57 AM
I have done it both ways, it doesn't matter to me...

winks
05-18-2006, 06:03 AM
i soooooooooo read that title the wrong way :/

As in, If your nervous enough you will probably toss before the match?

I am sorry but I don't know how to say that on english. When I say 'do the toss' I mean toss the coin (or spin the racket) before match to decide who is going to serve first or choose side.

No you said it right. It just that "toss" can be slang for other things.

rfprse
05-18-2006, 07:25 AM
If it is a serious match (at least to you), tossing the coin or spinning the racquet before the warm up is a better, fair way.

joe sch
05-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Pros first do the toss, choose to serve or receive, or choose the side, and then they begin the warmup on particular side. On club level (in my area) we first do the warmup, and then do the toss. The problem is if someone who win the toss choose to switch sides. That may be smart in sunny or windy conditions. Is that fair? When you do the toss? (Sorry on my english).
Yes, that is exactly why experience players choose before warmup, dont give your opponent the opportunity to choose before choosing ;)

papa
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Really should toss and pick sides "before" warm-up. Just like serves - you practice those "before" play starts and not use that FBI crap.

Club or round robin play it probably doesn't make any difference.

One thing you might want to try is even if you win the toss, let the opponents serve first - and then give them a few minutes (during the warm-up) to wonder why.

Ash_Smith
05-19-2006, 01:14 PM
You spin the coin before the warm-up, make your choices and then warm-up from at the end you will be starting the match from.

ralphtifftennis
05-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes, the USTA rules actually state the toss or spin of racquet should take place before warm up. Everyone always warms up first though(ntrp).