PDA

View Full Version : Who are the pro serve&volleyers?

wfudeac
05-18-2006, 06:39 AM
I know that Taylor Dent and Tim Henman usually use this strategy, but what about the women's side? Is there anyone worth watching who uses this strategy as part of their game?

I was at the qualies for Family Circle a month ago, and it amazed me how none of the girls came to net unless they really, really, had to. All they wanted to do was bash from the baseline, one match I watched had both girls hitting two hands off both sides!

Ripper
05-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I know that Taylor Dent and Tim Henman usually use this strategy, but what about the women's side? Is there anyone worth watching who uses this strategy as part of their game?

I was at the qualies for Family Circle a month ago, and it amazed me how none of the girls came to net unless they really, really, had to. All they wanted to do was bash from the baseline...

Not their fault. Most coaches are male and they teach them that way of playing.

slice bh compliment
05-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Max Mirnyi serves and volleys a lot.
Radek Stepanek does more than most.

fastdunn
05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Martina Navratilova. I believe she is still competeing in doubles.
Lisa Raymond in doubles. But even in doubles, female players
are playing lots of baseline game.

I don't think we can call Henman as Serve-and-volleyers anymore.
Last time I saw him, he played more like all court players.

Taylor Dent and Stepanek Radek play nearly pure serve-and-volleyers
but even they have to adjust to current slow condition of tour...

Andres
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I can add Wesley Moodie, and sometimes, in singles, Jonas Bjorkman, but Bjorkman can't be considered a S&V.

Andres
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Ah, OH! How could I miss Wong Yutani !!?? :mrgreen:

wyutani
05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
the OP asked for a women s&v mate'...honestly, i knew none now...

vkartikv
Hingis and Mauresmo are about the only 2 women who dare to venture to the net but when they're there, its soft hands and nice touch. Wish they won more often...

wyutani
Ah, OH! How could I miss Wong Yutani !!?? :mrgreen:

yeah, dun forget me...hehe :mrgreen:

travlerajm
05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
The main reason you don't see female serve-and-volleyers is because few women have the combination of a big serve and athleticism. Eventually, the next Navratilova will emerge and dominate though.

slice bh compliment
05-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Female serve-volleyers. I guess we will have the answer to that question at Wimbledon soon.

Martina Navratilova, Nathalie Tauziat, Jana Novotna....are your games relevant anymore?
Is it the balls? The rye grass?
The fact that baseline tennis simply wins more?

I can't help but think an all-courter who can use S&V at the right times (like Mauresmo), who can play the midcourt and forecourt confidently with short-angled 'defensive' volleys as well as the obvious penetrating ones can win on any surface. The past few Wimbledon champions notwithstanding.

fastdunn
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I can add Wesley Moodie, and sometimes, in singles, Jonas Bjorkman, but Bjorkman can't be considered a S&V.

yeah, I remember Bjorkman started out as a pure S&Ver
and then switched to baseliner at singles.
At one point, Bjorkman was considered as best returner
in the game. Talk about successful transition..

guernica1
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Quite a few females have the dreaded 2 handed backhand volley which doesn't help either.

slice bh compliment
05-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Quite a few females have the dreaded 2 handed backhand volley which doesn't help either.

Ooof.
[shakes head] It is as though volleying was taught as an afterthought.
Well, it works for some of them. Dubs too.
Remember Pat McEnroe's 2 handed bh volley? Actually pretty effective.

jackofromalsager
05-18-2006, 12:24 PM
i think federer volleys quite a bit !

marcus_alsager
05-18-2006, 12:27 PM
not a pure serve and volleyer tho

fastdunn
05-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Well, he did not really need a net game (since he baseline game has
been strong enough) .. until ........ Nadal poses as a problem.

He volleied the most I've ever seen him on clay at Rome final
against Nadal. Against Nadal, he needs net game.
He failed last couple of times but successful at Rome this year.

However, we have yet to see how successful volleyer Federer is...

tennus
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM

I was at the qualies for Family Circle a month ago, and it amazed me how none of the girls came to net unless they really, really, had to. All they wanted to do was bash from the baseline, one match I watched had both girls hitting two hands off both sides!

Yeah, it's a pity but no natural serve volleyers amongst the big gun women. Schiovone can s/v well(saw her play Henin at Medibank Final in Australia Jan). Tactic worked for her early but Henin proved too solid. If a natural volleyer like Martina Navratolova comes into the womens game, you may see the next big thing. By that I don't mean a net rusher but someone who mixes it up. That's what Mauresmo does quite well against the top players. :cool:

hoosierbr
05-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Greg Rusedski, Mario Ancic (though plays more an all-court style), Ivo Karlovic, Wayne Arthurs and Feliciano Lopez.

Eviscerator
05-19-2006, 07:38 AM

Not their fault. Most coaches are male and they teach them that way of playing.

I agree and it is a shame. While I would not expect any women to be pure S&V in today's game, having the ability to come to net and finish off points would be a huge asset to their games. For example, I was helping to coach/instruct a women's high school team. I was working with some of the better girls who could really bang from the baseline, but had no transition game to the net. If they got a short/weak reply they would come mid court hit a shot then retreat to the baseline. If their opponent was able to hit another weak reply, but a little deeper, the pointed started all over again.
So I took a few of them and started working on approach shots when they got a weak reply and encouraged them to come in behind it. Even in practice they were reluctant to do so, and a few of the over bearing parents objected. I was told things like "you are just a helper, not their coach so just drill them". When I tried to explain that they needed this type of drilling also, one mother insisted her daughter did not, and took her over to the teams coach to complain. Fortunately the coach backed me up and said the women's daughter would benefit from my instruction. So when she came back to the court I found out why her mother was so insistent. This poor girl did not even use a continental grip for her volley attempts, much less understand that the shot was not topspin, but rather underspin. I have worked with 7 year olds who have had better volleys. To make matters worse, she would squeal and duck when moderate paced balls were hit close to her. It became obvious to me that the mother had browbeat her regular instructors into just working on her baseline game, and totally ignored any net work. Sadly she was so inept at the net I recommend she continue to stay back during the teams season, but to work hard after their last match was over to develop at least a basic net game.

Most of the other girls were uncomfortable at the net as well, but they at least had done some work. By the end of the season I had a few of them winning points at the net, and now they want to work with me privately. This by no means will make them become S&V's, but at least they will not be afraid to venture to the net at the right time.

laurie
05-20-2006, 07:33 AM
I think Mauresmo will serve and volley a lot at Wimbledon this year. She has the last two years.

I've also noticed Kuznetsova likes to use serve and volley a lot as a change tactic. She's happy at net as she plays a lot of doubles.

On the men's side? No idea

naturalgut
05-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Molik and Stosur play S&V most of the time