PDA

View Full Version : Escude retires....

Jonas
05-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Well,
there goes another one. I ALWAYS wnjoyed watching this guy play. Hopefully he'll get to play a little senior tennis for some cash. It's probably a good decision as he hasn't been a factor on the tour for some years now.

French Nicolas Escude hits a shot to Argentinean Guillermo Coria in the fourth round of the French Open at Roland Garros in Paris, in May 2004. Escude announced his retirment from professional tennis after failing to overcome a troublesome shoulder injury.

pound cat
05-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Well,
there goes another one. I ALWAYS wnjoyed watching this guy play. Hopefully he'll get to play a little senior tennis for some cash. It's probably a good decision as he hasn't been a factor on the tour for some years now.

French Nicolas Escude hits a shot to Argentinean Guillermo Coria in the fourth round of the French Open at Roland Garros in Paris, in May 2004. Escude announced his retirment from professional tennis after failing to overcome a troublesome shoulder injury.

I enjoyed watching him as well, and he always seemed to be playing way above the ranking he had in the matched I watched him play. ...what a crummy way to end a careeer.

I don't kinow if he has the qualifications to be allowed into the senior's...

slice bh compliment
05-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I enjoyed watching him as well, and he always seemed to be playing way above the ranking he had in the matched I watched him play. ...what a crummy way to end a careeer.

Yeah, stylish player. Very exciting. He'll be missed.

But if they let Joao Cunha-Silva and Claudio Mezzadri play in the senior's tour...I think Escude has a good shot.

Silva and Mezzadri, at separate times, have been invited as WC's probably for regional/local interest.
Hopefully, they can add Davis Cup heroics as a criterion. Then Escude would be a shoo-in for his work against AUS on grass in the DC final a few years ago.

Escude could've been a contender on just about all surfaces. He would have been a hell of a poster boy for Babolat in Europe, too, if he had stayed healthy. You know how Babolat and Wilson seem to go at eachother with words like nanotube and nCoding. Well, they could have collaborated on a personal model: the Pure Staff N-colas S-cude.

Feņa14
05-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I Think you have to either of been ranked number 1, been in the final of a Slam or been a singles player in a winning Davis Cup team.

He has won the Davis Cup so hopefully that will be enough for us to see him on the seniors tour.

Moose Malloy
05-18-2006, 09:14 AM
But if they let Joao Cunha-Silva and Claudio Mezzadri play in the senior's tour...I think Escude has a good shot.

And the not quite HOF worthy Renzo Furlan just won the Rome title over Bruguera yesterday.
Escude's a shotmaker, I'm sure crowds would enjoy his play on the senior tour. Want to see him play Mac. Heck I want to see everyone play Mac(eventually)

Yeah, exactly. He was never top 10, but a dangerous flaoter. No top guy wanted to play him. And he did well in the majors considering his lower ranking(semis in Australia, quarters at Wimbledon & the US Open)

Another S&V bites the dust.

unjugon
05-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Great player.

But tough as Ljubicic mentally. That is...not too tough.

guernica1
05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I saw him play Malisse in the 98 or 99 US Open on outside court. Never had seen him play before although I had heard of him because of his incredible Australian open SF run the year before. Malisse was touted as an up and coming player from the Nick B. Hype machine... and Nico just destroyed him, with style to boot.

He went on to crush Rios in the next round and then played Agassi tough but ran out of gas. He was a qualifer that year.

I think his fans will always wonder what this guy could have become if he didn't have so many injuries. It really all started when he got an arthritic hip and he could never stay on tour for very long.

Although he became a serve-volleyer at the end of his career, I think his very best matches were when he mixed it up more. His 2nd serve was a liaibility because it didn't have that much nasty spin on it but he sure was dangerous if he could whack a couple groundies then rush in.

Good luck to him in the next stage of his career.

Max G.
05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Sad to see him finally make it official. He was fun to watch.

Colpo
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Escude was a French player with major game, totally in the Leconte mold. Capable of playing lights-out tennis, alot of fun to watch.

AAAA
05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
He had amazing talent and I always felt his phyisque wasn't robust enough to withstand the physical grind of the tour.

!Tym
05-18-2006, 04:34 PM
And the not quite HOF worthy Renzo Furlan just won the Rome title over Bruguera yesterday.
Escude's a shotmaker, I'm sure crowds would enjoy his play on the senior tour. Want to see him play Mac. Heck I want to see everyone play Mac(eventually)

Yeah, exactly. He was never top 10, but a dangerous flaoter. No top guy wanted to play him. And he did well in the majors considering his lower ranking(semis in Australia, quarters at Wimbledon & the US Open)

Another S&V bites the dust.

Lol, yeah, when Renzo Furlan qualifies as a "legend" you know that's funny, first time he ever beat Bruguera too in seven tries on tour.

Nicholas Escude more than anything had a charisma and flair to him, he looked like a pirate, and he was one of the few tennis players wehre you could say you weren't embarrassed to watch him on tv with a "jock" sport fan since he didn't look like a nerd. He looked cool.

He reminded me of Jonas Bjorkman with a little more power and gangliness. Bjorkman was a better returner, but Escude had a more dangerous first serve, more reach, and a little more stick on his groundies. Basically, though they were the same kind of player in terms of style, particularly with the way the slashed and dashed with their attacking two-handers. Proving the point that you CAN use the two-hander as a very effective approach shot when you lean into it and get your body momentum half-sprinting forward the way these two guys regularly do/did.

Shabazza
05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I agree with Colpo and AAAA!

:( - soon Kuerten will follow - and 2 of my favorite players to watch in the 90's, with a stylish and exciting game will be retired, due to ****ing injuries and hip problems... :mad: :sad:

pound cat
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Senior's...best case scenario......if his body can do it..professional tennis is so demanding on the body

equinox
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM
He destroyed Australia in DC. He played flawless tennis.

ericsson
05-19-2006, 01:41 AM
i think he was under rated, quite some talent, he was skinny for his height, not much muscle but he could hit some big winners.

slice bh compliment
05-19-2006, 05:13 AM
I agree with Colpo and AAAA!

:( - soon Kuerten will follow - and 2 of my favorite players to watch in the 90's, with a stylish and exciting game will be retired, due to ****ing injuries and hip problems... :mad: :sad:

Definite parallels: Escude and Kuerten. Different backhands and different legacies, but lots in common. From a distance, they even sort of look alike.

Eviscerator
05-19-2006, 07:07 AM

"To be eligible to compete on the Merrill Lynch Tour of Champions, players must have been either a World No.1 during their competitive playing careers, a Grand Slam singles finalist, or a singles player on a victorious Davis Cup team, and no longer active on the ATP tour. Each event can also invite two players of its choice to take wild cards."

galain
05-19-2006, 07:30 AM
The best memory I have of Escude was when he framed a ball practising serves at the Oz Open. It sailed over the fence and hit my girlfriend in the ankle. Nicolas came bounding over the fence straight away, insisted my girlfriend sit down and he proceeded to massage her foot, apologising all the while. Very nice guy. He lost to Sampras later that night.

Gugafan_Redux
05-19-2006, 07:53 AM
From a distance, they even sort of look alike.

Gotta call you on that one, BH. The distance would have to be about 400 yards. :)

http://www.fft.fr/web2001/cd_australie_2001/photos/photo-escude.jpghttp://homepages.ius.edu/LHOOKS/guga.jpg

slice bh compliment
05-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, not their faces for sure.
Three or four courts away, though, you'd swear they're brothers, hahahaha!

!Tym
05-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Actually, Escude always reminded me more of like Pioline's avril skateboarding, "ska" snow-boarding, surf boarding, moon doggie, alternative, punk rock, dude! son.

Well, I could imagine it at least.

Though to be honest, to me Escude was a flashy player, but he was not in Guga's class. He was a very good player at his best, but I wouldn't call him great. For all his injuries, when he was healthy, I never really thought of him as a threat to the top ten. I thought his forehand lacked stability in it, and while his backhand was great at slashing, his serve could have been better given his build, and there were better volleyers out there; heck, even as far as backhands go, it could run hot and cold, but there were still better...like, um, Guga's.

More than anything, he too me lacked a signature aspect to his game which made him unpredictable to play, but at the same time, he lacked anything to really quite put him over the top in my opinion. What I mean is that with other top ranked players, if they were at in the zone and at their best on any given day, they were pretty much unbeatable; but Escude played very much near his best against Agassi at that Australian Open awhile back...yet, what's ignored is that he still lost the match and it didn't even go five sets.

I think with Escude it was more of his look and unique, Van Gough nose and pointy chin, style points that won him favor more so than his overwhelming ability. I think if you're truly that gifted you make the top ten at least once in your career.

It's like with Arazi, because he looks good out there and played a hot match here or there, people overrated his ability, "a legend in his own mind" according to Tarango. Not that his ability is not great, just that people don't realize it takes a little extra to get to the top ten in the world and stick there and it's not given enough credit in my opinion.

He was fun to watch for sure though.

Overall though, I'd rate him much like an Xavier Malisse type. People talk about his talent too, both stylish looking guys with stylish looking strokes with a little bit of flair to them, yet overall, I really put both guys in the same boat. Talented? Yes. But if they were TRULY that talented, they'd have made the top ten at least once and proved they could STICK there at least once in their careers, no?

Yes, Escude had many injuries, but to me he was more of a very dangerous top 20 caliber player rather than a true top ten guy. Just my opinion, and it doesn't change the "fact" that I'd rather watch him than just about anybody because of his style and cool...still doesn't mean I think he was on Guga's level or that of tennis' true elite. He was never a threat in anyone's minds as a grand slam champion in my opinion, just a dangerous guy in the draw you didn't want to face, which is NOT the same thing, injured or not.