PDA

View Full Version : Jarkko Nieminen???

WayneCM
05-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry if i spelled it incorrectly... I've watched this guy a couple of times and i can't figure out why he does so well??? Can sum1 enlighten me????

Freedom
05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Because he's a professional.

And he plays with Luxilon. ;)

WayneCM
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Because he's a professional.

And he plays with Luxilon. ;)
hmmm.. Thank u, but i was thinkin a little more specifically, great forehand wicked spin serve, consistant....?

Freedom
05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Ah. I couldn't tell ya. Never seen him play. ;)

mislav
05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Because he spies on his opponents, studying their weaknesses!

I saw him at the Zagreb Indoors this year. He came to watch the match which decided who he plays next and sat close to where I was at the stands. He was a bad spy, didn't have any newspapers, dark glasses or a trenchcoat to keep the low profile. I was disappointed. :mrgreen:

But jokes aside, I haven't seen him play the next match - which he lost, btw - so, I can't really elaborate on his style.

He's not doing too good now, though. Lost first set 1:6 to Davydenko, struggling in the second.

Dedans Penthouse
05-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Jarkko's success (even though he really has no big weapon or killer shot), can be summed up in one Finnish word:

"Sisu."

The word (or term) "sisu" applies to an "old-school" Finnish trait centering around the idea of hard work and determination; that is "don't quit until the job is done." Stubborness if you will.

It's comparable to the American colloquial term: "Stick-to-itive-ness."

In short, the guy "competes" beyond his "tools." Nothing spectacular, but neither was, say, a Brad Gilbert.

If only Marat had 1/10 of Jarkko's grit.......

guernica1
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry if i spelled it incorrectly... I've watched this guy a couple of times and i can't figure out why he does so well??? Can sum1 enlighten me????

Excellent size and reach, moves decently well for a big guy, very solid off both wings, lefty serve, doesn't have huge mental break downs but not a whole ton of power.

Max G.
05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
You did spell it right, btw :)

The one time I saw him play was at the US Open, I think it was against Fernando Verdasco. In that match, Verdasco couldn't seem to keep a ball in the court, and Nieminen was just playing it smart and letting his opponent self-destruct.

From what I hear, that's basically how he plays - consistent, he can grind opponents down, he doesn't have any particularly big weapons but can move the ball around.

WayneCM
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
so without causing a fuss, could we say he has a somewhat of a davydenko game???

And he was the decoy man his real spy was court side with a long jacket, shady hat and sum lubricant.... Wait that doesn't make sense.... UNLESS!!!!

Andres
05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Excellent size and reach, moves decently well for a big guy, very solid off both wings, lefty serve, doesn't have huge mental break downs but not a whole ton of power.
He's 6'1' and 172 lbs ... not exactly a "big guy" in my tennis book.
But he's very consistent, and mentally stable. And he's Finnish. It was time to have ONE good Finnish player :D

Mikael
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
He also drinks Koskenkorva liquor before matches for a little mental boost ahah

tenniscoach
05-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I saw this guy last year play. Solid player , but nothing special.

Dan007
05-18-2006, 02:40 PM
He was still getting his *** kicked by Agassi at the French Open even after Andre hurt his back. He was still getting his *** whopped for the next set or two, even after Andre hurt his back and couldn't run a lot. Even thogh Nieminen won that match, it had me thinking "wow this guys sucks ***" untill he proved that he is solid player at the U.S. Open last year.

Max G.
05-18-2006, 07:45 PM
He was still getting his *** whopped for the next set or two, even after Andre hurt his back and couldn't run a lot. Even thogh Nieminen won that match, it had me thinking "wow this guys sucks ***"

Dude, if you compare player to Agassi, there's almost nobody out there that wouldn't seem like they "suck ***." It's like watching someone play Nadal or Federer - even top 10 guys can look totally humiliated against them.

Dan007
05-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Dude, if you compare player to Agassi, there's almost nobody out there that wouldn't seem like they "suck ***." It's like watching someone play Nadal or Federer - even top 10 guys can look totally humiliated against them.

I know, but Andre was seriously hurt in that match and could not even run and Agassi was still winning point after point eventually he just got too tired from the back/hip injury and lost the match. The guy was in Top 50, 70? He should have dominated the match after Andre got that injury because he could barely run. It was kind of Venus vs Higis match a couple weeks ago. Venus got cramps in her leg and could barely run and she just whack the ball that came to her into a winner. So basically all the balls Andre could get to was hitten into a winner. Nieminen should have played some angles, not amazing but good enough to go to the open court where Andre could not go get it.

splink779
05-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Srichaphan vs Nieminen was the best match of the Pacific Life Open. The guy is consistent, reminds me of Hewitt but with more power. Hits relatively flat, very hard worker.

You don't need a huge weapon to succeed (Hewitt, Davydenko, etc.). Just be good. Hit the right shots when you are supposed to and use your head. Thats what Jarkko does.

arosen
05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
His serve has a ton of spin on it, hard to attack. I saw his match against Max Mirny last year, Max just couldnt return anything on the backhand side, too much spin for his 1hbh.

illkhiboy
05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I know, but Andre was seriously hurt in that match and could not even run and Agassi was still winning point after point eventually he just got too tired from the back/hip injury and lost the match. The guy was in Top 50, 70? He should have dominated the match after Andre got that injury because he could barely run. It was kind of Venus vs Higis match a couple weeks ago. Venus got cramps in her leg and could barely run and she just whack the ball that came to her into a winner. So basically all the balls Andre could get to was hitten into a winner. Nieminen should have played some angles, not amazing but good enough to go to the open court where Andre could not go get it.

I think your being rather harsh on Jarkko. Andre's back started hurting him in the middle of the third set. Jarkko came back from 3-0 down including a double-break to win the opening set. Played a bad service game to lose the second set. This is the first game that I saw him play and I was like, wow Agassi must be playing badly, but now he should just take this match. But Jarkko played a pretty solid game throughout the third which went to a tie-breaker and had a set point at 6-5 in the tie-break I think when he slipped during a rally. Andre went on to win the breaker but as far as I recall he was moving quite alright upto that point. His injury really flared up during the fourth set though and Jarkko subsequently won 6-1 n 6-0.
I think this post by guernica summed his game up quite good:

MonkeyPox
05-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I was in Finland a few weeks ago, and it's funny how every country will always obviously make the biggest deal out of their hometown boys. The front page story was all about Jarrko's loss to Nadal, which was a story since he was up 4-1 in the third, but it had all sort of offshoot stories about it and it went on for like three pages. Then in small print at the back of the paper was a story about the final between Federer and Nadal. It was hilarious. Go Jarrko!