PDA

View Full Version : Me hitting some volleys

serveitup911
05-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Here I am hitting a few volleys. Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaasNBdP1U

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Here I am hitting a few volleys. Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaasNBdP1U

Not bad brother, not bad. Got a little caught on the last high volley, little to much swing. Keep working keeping as short of a stroke as you can.

Next show us a series of balls being hit back and forth to your forehand and backhand side. Each ball in sequence is fed a little further out so you really have to keep those feet moving.

This will give us a good loook at how your feet work and when your footwork patterns breakdown. You need to be fed about 20 balls. Once you get passed the tenth ball, the feeder can throw up a lob that is relatively shallow and then feed the next volley on any side within reach but difficult still to get to. This will test your lungs, posture, focus, and determination.

BeachTennis
05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/beachtennis/treeing.jpg

Keep the racket head up on that backhand volley!

kevhen
05-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Looks good, better than my vollies, almost looks like Agassi at the net.

habib
05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
almost looks like Agassi at the net.
Dude, that's not very nice. :-p

Back on topic, IMO you need to move more. You are basically standing in place while waiting for the next ball, and while you split-step when it comes at you, starting from a resting position you're just not getting your feet in position quickly enough, and as a result your body is sufferring from the same problem.

Move your feet while waiting for the ball.

papa
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't be as kind as you guys. Mechanics on the backhand side are better than the forehand but neither are very good - sorry. Looks like the type of guy who could improve quickly but needs assistance - again sorry but your not going very far with this volley but it can be fixed.

Maybe I like to see the volley played much more aggressively while other don't.

kevhen
05-18-2006, 01:10 PM
He's pretty deep on the court for a very aggressive volley, they seem aggressive enough for the speed of the ball and depth he is taking them at.

serveitup911
05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Alright, thanks for the input. You have mentioned many of the things I've been working on since this video of about a year ago. It was the only video I could find of me hitting some balls.

Volleys are definitely the weakest part of my game. I come to net twice during the match - to spin the racket and to shake hands. Ha, well maybe slightly more than that.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more video soon.

kevhen
05-18-2006, 01:32 PM
What level do you play at? 4.5, 5.0? Oh, you play D1 so you must be 5.5. Your volley is definitely smoother than mine. Keep working on it so you can finish some long rallies at net.

serveitup911
05-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Believe me, I'm working on it. Volleys just don't come naturally to me.

tennisadict
05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
bend your knee a little bit more

Honestlybad
05-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Volleys aren't your thing are they? My advice is move into the ball a bit more. Support your arm with your body.

MTChong
05-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Though I am nowhere near your caliber, for the longest time, volleys weren't coming for me, either. They've improved (again, not near your caliber) a lot because I simply forced myself to go to net in the match situation. It puts in a type of learn or die mentality that really expedites the learning process.

jimiforpres
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Your volleys look okay technically, but it would be nice to see you hit them:
1) In a real point
2) With the other side of the court in view (you could put the camera way up high next to the back fence)

This would help because, in my opinion, movement at the net like closing in on floaters and stuff is just as important as having technically good volleys.

papa
05-19-2006, 04:08 AM
He's pretty deep on the court for a very aggressive volley, they seem aggressive enough for the speed of the ball and depth he is taking them at.

Deep? Looks like he's 18 - 24 inches inside the service line.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 04:35 AM

I think his positioning is fine. He is in the first position which is a doubles neutral volley position. He just needs to keep refining his technique.

kevhen
05-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Deep? Looks like he's 18 - 24 inches inside the service line.

So you hit aggressive winning vollies from 18-24 inches inside the service line? For me that is more of a first volley, or neutral volley position. He is still 19 feet from the net. If he moved in another 5 or even 10 feet, then he would have much better angles to hit aggressive, but he is hitting fine from this depth, a good controlled approach volley but he should move in a step after each volley.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 06:21 AM
So you hit aggressive winning vollies from 18-24 inches inside the service line? For me that is more of a first volley, or neutral volley position. He is still 19 feet from the net. If he moved in another 5 or even 10 feet, then he would have much better angles to hit aggressive, but he is hitting fine from this depth, a good controlled approach volley but he should move in a step after each volley.

Absolutely. A good player should be able to hit a strong volley deeper in the service box. This is an essential skill in doubles.

kevhen
05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Yeah, many people don't practice their vollies from this depth or even 2-3 feet deeper and it shows in matches when they don't always have time to close tight to net.

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, many people don't practice their vollies from this depth or even 2-3 feet deeper and it shows in matches when they don't always have time to close tight to net.

No kidding? Geeez, by the way you "counseled" a player clearly better than you, you would think you knew how to volley? But isn't it you that hits your backhand volleys for an eastern forehand grip? What is up with that? Plus, who the heck do you think you are giving tips on the volley?

This guy would eat you for lunch.

D-man
05-19-2006, 04:54 PM
No kidding? Geeez, by the way you "counseled" a player clearly better than you, you would think you knew how to volley? But isn't it you that hits your backhand volleys for an eastern forehand grip? What is up with that? Plus, who the heck do you think you are giving tips on the volley?

This guy would eat you for lunch.
:shock:

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
:shock:

My knife is in my hand and I am ready to shove it in and turn. I put up with this nut way too long. Every post, everytime, every way, every word, it is DONE.

str33t
05-19-2006, 05:01 PM
My knife is in my hand and I am ready to shove it in and turn. I put up with this nut way too long. Every post, everytime, every way, every word, it is DONE.
oooo .... harsh

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
oooo .... harsh

You haven't seen anything yet.

D-man
05-19-2006, 07:16 PM
You haven't seen anything yet.

remind me never to get on your bad side... i dont think i could sleep at night even with the windows locked.. :-P

Bungalo Bill
05-19-2006, 11:47 PM
remind me never to get on your bad side... i dont think i could sleep at night even with the windows locked.. :-P

The guy is the biggest idiot on this board and offers stupid advice. I have been nice too long. It is done.

seaducer67
05-20-2006, 04:56 AM

Not too bad there, I agree with a few others, try keeping that racquet head up , keeping your elbows close to your body, and a little more shoulder turn on the forehand side, and u'll prob get a little more punch.