PDA

View Full Version : Which Rome final was longer: 2005 or 2006?

BreakPoint
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I know that the Rome final that just ended between Federer and Nadal was extremely long at 5 hours and 5 minutes.

However, last year's final between Nadal and Coria also went 5 sets and to a 5th set tiebreak, and I recall it was also extremely long and brutal (although I didn't get to see either match since I don't get TTC :( ).

So my question is: Which match was longer?

Also, which was the better and/or higher quality match?

Andres
05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Coria's: 5 hs 14 mins ;)

Moose Malloy
05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
last year was 5:14.

this year was higher quality IMO. More variety(Fed came to net 80 times)
More drama(nadal trying to tie Vilas, Fed trying to avoid losing 4 times in a row to Nadal, Fed having match points, plus this was a final between #1 & #2 in the world)

The Coria match, while high quality, statistically speaking, was a bit boring after a while. Every point seemed to be the same in terms of types of shots, types of rallies. The 5 hours seemed to take forever, while the 5 hours on Sunday seemed to go more quickly. Points were a lot longer in Coria-Nadal obviously.

Incidently, I think that the only 5 hour finals in the Open era are these 2 plus the '88 US Open final.

There aren't many 5 hour matches outside of these matches in the open era total either, pretty amazing that Nadal has already gotten to play 2 finals of that length.

There's usually a 5 hour match once every few years, & we've had 2 straight years with one.

ACE of Hearts
05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
It seems to be the norm that all the Nadal matches are long.Breaks where hard to come by in this match.

BreakPoint
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Incidently, I think that the only 5 hour finals in the Open era are these 2 plus the '88 US Open final.

There aren't many 5 hour matches outside of these matches in the open era total either, pretty amazing that Nadal has already gotten to play 2 finals of that length.

There's usually a 5 hour match once every few years, & we've had 2 straight years with one.

I recall a 5+ hour semifinal between Edberg and Chang at the '92 US Open (and perhaps in '91 also?) How long was their French Open final in '89?

BTW, who played in the '88 US Open final and how long was it? Was it between Wilander and Lendl? What was the score?

Andres
05-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Wilander d. Lendl (6-4 in the fifth)

Andres
05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
More precisely: 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4

Moose Malloy
05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I recall a 5+ hour semifinal between Edberg and Chang at the '92 US Open (and perhaps in '91 also?) How long was their French Open final in '89?

BTW, who played in the '88 US Open final and how long was it? Was it between Wilander and Lendl? What was the score?

Yeah the Chang-Edberg SF was close to 5 1/2 hours. Don't know how long their '89 French final was, but it wasn't 5 hours. Probably "only" around 4.

The '92 US Open had some of the longest matches. Every match that year seemed to go 5. Lendl & Becker played a 5 hour match there that year as well.

Interesting trivia regarding Lendl-Wilander. Their '87 US Open final was close to 5 hours as well, but it was only 4 sets! had it gone 5, I think it easily would have been 6 hours.

BreakPoint
05-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah the Chang-Edberg SF was close to 5 1/2 hours. Don't know how long their '89 French final was, but it wasn't 5 hours. Probably "only" around 4.

The '92 US Open had some of the longest matches. Every match that year seemed to go 5. Lendl & Becker played a 5 hour match there that year as well.

Interesting trivia regarding Lendl-Wilander. Their '87 US Open final was close to 5 hours as well, but it was only 4 sets! had it gone 5, I think it easily would have been 6 hours.

Yeah, what was amazing in the '92 US Open was that both Edberg and Chang had to go 5 sets in their two previous matches leading up to their epic 5 1/2 hour semifinal. Edberg had to beat Krajicek in the 4th round and Lendl in the quarters, both in 5 sets. Meanwhile, Chang had to beat Mal Washington in the 4th round and Wayne Ferreira in the quarters, also both in 5 sets. I wonder if any of those four matches exceeded 5 hours?

Then Edberg goes on to beat Sampras in 4 sets in the final. Just an absolutely amazing feat and phenomenal effort by Edberg that week. Truly an "Iron Man". :D