PDA

View Full Version : From hitting winners to hitting the fence :(

datsveryinterestin
05-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Hello.
I have been using a Pure Drive for a month after using 12oz flexible racquets for a long time.
As usual, when I first switched frames, I was in heaven.
I was bombing first serves, hitting massive kick 2nd serves, and punishing deep topspin groundstrokes that left people standing still on the court as I could hit to either side easily.

For some reason, my groundstrokes now land LONG consistently.
I am using BB Orig string and string tension seems fine.
I guess it is just poor technique as my mind thinks I can just blast a winner, but I must be pulling up with my upper body and sending shots long.
Also on my serve, it seems I have a case of Roddick. I am still hitting hard serves, but people just block them back and it isn't getting me many free points anymore. I guess it is too flat now with not enough spin.
Anyway, I really thought the Pure Drive was helping my game as I was playing amazing tennis with it... for a few weeks. But it is very frustrating to hit shots that "feel" good, but even with lots of topspin, they land long.
I might try Bab Ballistic Polymono to see if that gives me less power, but I wish I had video tape of the different days I have had on court.
Sometimes winning 6-0,6-0... sometimes losing badly with every shot rocketing off the strings. Very frustrating. I am wondering if I went back to a more flexible frame if I would keep more balls in or if my attacking game will come back in a few matches.
I am such an easy opponent right now. Hit a slow serve in the box and watch me crank a forehand into the back fence.
AAAAARGH!
(this is all with using a semi-western grip) Sometimes if I use extreme western the ball lands in but too short in the box... so when I am "ON" I prefer to just use SW grip.

Sigh... I am just so low on confidence right now... I thought I would post this and see what people say. (I have had hamstring and lower back tightness, which I think might have helped contribute to my problems... but it has since gone away. I have a match tonight, so I will see if the tightness was most of the problem of if i just stink at tennis.)

I play on a 4.0 USTA singles team and should be able to beat most of my opponents when my game is working, but I have dropped from #2 to #3 singles and I might even be dropped to #4 if I keep losing matches...

Consistency and patience have never been big parts of my game... as I usually think I can crush a forehand winner anytime I get a chance, which I suppose leads to more problems if my timing is off.

Anyone have suggestions for getting my timing back?
I think the Pure Drive power seduced me, but now I am waking up with a case of Coyote Ugly!
Naw, it ain't the racquet... it is "user error" by someone that thinks they are 6.0 when they really are 4.0.
Sniff.

Woodstock_Tennis
05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I can't stand anything put out by babolat, I just think they do a very good job advertising them. If you were playing better before you went to the bobolat with another raquet, why not just switch back?

Bungalo Bill
05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I can't stand anything put out by babolat, I just think they do a very good job advertising them. If you were playing better before you went to the bobolat with another raquet, why not just switch back?

Racquets are definetely personal. I don't see the craze in getting a Babolot racquet. It really depends on what racquet feels like it is an extension of your arm and brain.

I like the Volkl Tour 10 a lot but not necessarily the foam pallette handles.

datsveryinterestin
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
If you were playing better before you went to the bobolat with another raquet, why not just switch back?

I was actually playing my BEST tennis ever when I first started using the Pure Drive.
I waited about 7 years before giving the Pure Drive a test because I thought it was just hype.... but the racquet can be really good. At lower levels it has enough power to be a pushers stick, and at advanced levels, it can be a punishing attackers stick that almost seems unfair.... but now that the ball is sailing on me... I won't feel guilty if they start dropping in again.
I think a more flexible racquet like the Radical or nBlade or Pure Storm might be better suited in the long run for my game.
But I am going to stick with the Pure Drive for a while to see if my game returns to being "the PUNISHER".

-right now my confidence is pretty low, but like Allen Iverson, I am just going to keep shooting and hope my slump ends.

habib
05-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Racquets are definetely personal. I don't see the craze in getting a Babolot racquet. It really depends on what racquet feels like it is an extension of your arm and brain.

Yeah. With all of the Flexponit hate on these forums, I absolutely love my FP Radical Tour. Love it. I demoed Wilsons, Babolats, Volkls, even those goofy Prince O's with the racing holes all over the frame (:)), and the Tour just feels sooo good for me. The only real problem I have with it is that the more open string pattern results in my strings moving around far too much for my liking, but it's more of an annoyance at having to reposition them more often than anything else, and the tighter pattern on the regular FP Radical doesn't compensate for the feel of the racquet.

habib
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Er, as to the original point, have you considered hitting the ball a little less flat and with a little more spin, if only to get the feel of hitting shots in the court back? Or perhaps you simply got too confident and began to overhit?

datsveryinterestin
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Habib- yes, that is the obvious answer... more spin.
And for the past 2 matches, no matter how much spin I feel I am putting on the ball, it is still going long.
I am really going to focus on my grip to make sure it isn't changing on me... I am definitely overhitting... the more that go long the angrier I get and 2 things happen.

1. I stop folling through and just try to "guide" the ball in, and this usually makes the ball float even longer.
2. I just get totally frustrated and try to knock the snOt out of the ball and it usually still lands long.

I think a lot of my recent struggles might have been caused by some really long bike rides which tired me out and then a lack of strectching which caused me to be tight and not feeling like Gumby/Guga on the court.

Match is in a couple hours... I better start getting loose... and thinking positively.... I'lll post later about how it goes.

armand
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Hello.
I have been using a Pure Drive for a month after using 12oz flexible racquets for a long time.
As usual, when I first switched frames, I was in heaven.
I was bombing first serves, hitting massive kick 2nd serves, and punishing deep topspin groundstrokes that left people standing still on the court as I could hit to either side easily.

For some reason, my groundstrokes now land LONG consistently.
I am using BB Orig string and string tension seems fine.
I guess it is just poor technique as my mind thinks I can just blast a winner, but I must be pulling up with my upper body and sending shots long.
Also on my serve, it seems I have a case of Roddick. I am still hitting hard serves, but people just block them back and it isn't getting me many free points anymore. I guess it is too flat now with not enough spin.
Anyway, I really thought the Pure Drive was helping my game as I was playing amazing tennis with it... for a few weeks. But it is very frustrating to hit shots that "feel" good, but even with lots of topspin, they land long.
I might try Bab Ballistic Polymono to see if that gives me less power, but I wish I had video tape of the different days I have had on court.
Sometimes winning 6-0,6-0... sometimes losing badly with every shot rocketing off the strings. Very frustrating. I am wondering if I went back to a more flexible frame if I would keep more balls in or if my attacking game will come back in a few matches.
I am such an easy opponent right now. Hit a slow serve in the box and watch me crank a forehand into the back fence.
AAAAARGH!
(this is all with using a semi-western grip) Sometimes if I use extreme western the ball lands in but too short in the box... so when I am "ON" I prefer to just use SW grip.

Sigh... I am just so low on confidence right now... I thought I would post this and see what people say. (I have had hamstring and lower back tightness, which I think might have helped contribute to my problems... but it has since gone away. I have a match tonight, so I will see if the tightness was most of the problem of if i just stink at tennis.)

I play on a 4.0 USTA singles team and should be able to beat most of my opponents when my game is working, but I have dropped from #2 to #3 singles and I might even be dropped to #4 if I keep losing matches...

Consistency and patience have never been big parts of my game... as I usually think I can crush a forehand winner anytime I get a chance, which I suppose leads to more problems if my timing is off.

Anyone have suggestions for getting my timing back?
I think the Pure Drive power seduced me, but now I am waking up with a case of Coyote Ugly!
Naw, it ain't the racquet... it is "user error" by someone that thinks they are 6.0 when they really are 4.0.
Sniff.Your strokes were grooved using a different racquet that had different balance, weight etc. You wouldn't lose your groove instantly, you lose it over time and it looks like this has happened to you. This isn't the first time I've heard this and I have experienced it myself but I don't know the exact cause or cure, only that you could weight up your new racquet with the old one to match weight+balance.

habib
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Your strokes were grooved using a different racquet that had different balance, weight etc. You wouldn't lose your groove instantly, you lose it over time and it looks like this has happened to you. This isn't the first time I've heard this and I have experienced it myself but I don't know the exact cause or cure, only that you could weight up your new racquet with the old one to match weight+balance.

Hrm...this is an interesting idea. If this is the case, why not practice with the old racquet, and then try the new one again and see if you notice any differences?

datsveryinterestin
05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I might... but I am worried I will always be debating which racquet to use...