PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tech Tennis...

Steven87
05-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Is this ite useful for ALL types of hits? And if so, how do you guys cheat it and get all the videos? I've seen some here

Sjohn
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
No one stole the videos from that site and placed them here. But the moderator of that site gave links to some demo videos on his site.

Steven87
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
No one stole the videos from that site and placed them here. But the moderator of that site gave links to some demo videos on his site.
Where are the links?

snoflewis
05-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Where are the links?

search for it

Steven87
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I searched and I can't find the topic

snoflewis
05-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I searched and I can't find the topic

it's not a topic...the moderator of that site just posted in some random tips/instructions threads.

Steven87
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Can you please just give me the link?

papa
05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, he was posting here for awhile but I can't think of the thread.

jlui21
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Can you please just give me the link?

There is a thread under my name that has several links to hi-techtennis' website. I believe the thread name (under my name - jlui21) is "Feedback on groundstrokes and serve."

The moderator is a good man, and his site is totally worth the money. I believe it is $9.99 a month which gives you total access for a full month as compared to an HOUR lesson for $40.

His website gives great detail and incredible vids that illustrate EVERYTHING you need to know to improve, but to solely rely on that is foolhardy. It would be better to supplement your time with some in-person lessons from a knowledgable player or coach with his stuff.

Steven87
05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
There is a thread under my name that has several links to hi-techtennis' website. I believe the thread name (under my name - jlui21) is "Feedback on groundstrokes and serve."

The moderator is a good man, and his site is totally worth the money. I believe it is $9.99 a month which gives you total access for a full month as compared to an HOUR lesson for $40.

His website gives great detail and incredible vids that illustrate EVERYTHING you need to know to improve, but to solely rely on that is foolhardy. It would be better to supplement your time with some in-person lessons from a knowledgable player or coach with his stuff.
Thank you, and for your topic. I have to say, your forehand is pretty impressive. More work on that 2BH would be nice. I, myself, am a 2BH and the main secret is to shoulder turn quicker and quicker. And remember to follow-up on that. Your forehand has exceptional topspin from what I see and your pronation is something to be admired. Your serve as also become WAY improved. BUT, you keep dropping that racquet facing left. Like those videos, drop it down straight or your right side

JCo872
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Thanks Jlui!

Yeah 9.99 a month for the first month. About 20 bucks for a year. That cost just covers my server costs. There is a lot of bandwidth being used on my site with all the videos and I have to pay for that. Another site, such as virtualtennisacademy charges $299.00/year, so I think my cost is almost nothing to be honest.

You are correct as well. A great coach, or someone to work with you on the court is important. I think it would be even better to print out some printouts of the strokes and take them with you to your instructor. I am going to be posting some very soon.

Jeff

Bungalo Bill
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Jlui!

Yeah 9.99 a month for the first month. About 20 bucks for a year. That cost just covers my server costs. There is a lot of bandwidth being used on my site with all the videos and I have to pay for that. Another site, such as virtualtennisacademy charges $299.00/year, so I think my cost is almost nothing to be honest.

You are correct as well. A great coach, or someone to work with you on the court is important. I think it would be even better to print out some printouts of the strokes and take them with you to your instructor. I am going to be posting some very soon.

Jeff

I think I will join.

JCo872
06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I think I will join.

Awesome BB.

I have about 80 videos of pro forehands up, shot at 60 fps. You can see amazing detail at 60fps when you go through the videos frame by frame.

The other cool thing, I think, is I have a bunch of lower ranked pros who have never been filmed before, along with top college players. It's interesting to see how even lower ranked pros, and college players, all share the same technique.

And I think my videos of Joachim Johannson, shot from really high up and zoomed in, are super cool. I have a bunch of Federer as well from this angle.

Jeff

JCo872
06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Thank you, and for your topic. I have to say, your forehand is pretty impressive. More work on that 2BH would be nice. I, myself, am a 2BH and the main secret is to shoulder turn quicker and quicker. And remember to follow-up on that. Your forehand has exceptional topspin from what I see and your pronation is something to be admired. Your serve as also become WAY improved. BUT, you keep dropping that racquet facing left. Like those videos, drop it down straight or your right side

Yeah on the right side :) Have somebody stand behind you so they can verify you are doing it right. Or stand with a mirror behind you.

And Steven87, you have an excellent backhand as well. Early shoulder turn and great
extension through the ball.

papa
06-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Just curious Jeff, where these videos taken by you?

JCo872
06-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Just curious Jeff, where these videos taken by you?
Yes. Those are my videos. Three years of traveling, videotaping, and hundreds of hours of editing the video and encoding them for the web. I guess you could say it's my passion :)

waves2ya
06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Jeff - I think you've some of the highest quality stroke renditions on the web. Between your tips and discourse with group (and Bill), I think your enthusiasm is pretty genuine...

I'm signing up.

JCo872
06-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Jeff - I think you've some of the highest quality stroke renditions on the web. Between your tips and discourse with group (and Bill), I think your enthusiasm is pretty genuine...

I'm signing up.

Waves2ya,

Thanks so much for the compliment. I've been videotaping at tournaments for the past few years and have spent countless hours going through hours and hour of video to get the best shots. And it took me about a year to learn how to get 60 frames a second on each shot (which is twice the framerate of any video library on the web today).

Yes, tennis is my absolute passion. And my deepest belief is that the internet, combined with videotaping offers a way for anybody to learn advanced tennis technique without having to spend thousands of dollars on private lessons (which frequently hurt players more than help them). It's really a miracle of technology that has the potential to help so many people play tennis better than they ever thought possible.

Look forward to having you join!

Jeff

tonyjh63
06-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jlui!

Jeff

Joining your site is just 20 bucks for a WHOLE YEAR? If that's the case, I'm definitely in!

katastrof
06-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Judging by JCo's posts of sample analysis on the forum, this is a great website. Will join very soon.

JCo872
06-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

What I noticed a few years ago is that there were sites with huge video libraries (like TennisOne), but nobody was taking full advantage of those videos to show what the pros are doing. You could read an entire article on the forehand, for example, and just see one or two players as an example. And in some articles only a small clip or still frame.

So first of all, I take my video which is shot at 60 frames a second (twice that of any website library) and I use that video as much as humanly possible to show you exactly what is going on. On the takeback, for example, I show you 15 different pro takebacks and show you exactly what they all have in common, so you can copy those elements. My goal has been to create a template of the common elements of all pro shots, and give that to you visually.

Also, I have players never filmed before. Arazi, Serra, Mathieu, Muller, Johannson, Zvonareva, college players, lower ranked pros, etc.

I'm really excited about the site. I've been working on it for several years, and it's fantastic to finally have it up and running, and have members from around the world.

Jeff

Mike Cottrill
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I take my video which is shot at 60 frames a second (twice that of any website library) and I use that video as much as humanly possible to show you exactly what is going on.

Jeff

Jeff,
60fps.. That seems like normal speed. What kind of camera are you using to capture these videos? I figured you were using at least 120 fps if not 240 fps. My personal camcorder records 240fps in fast mode (playback slow).
Thanks
Mike

JCo872
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Jeff,
60fps.. That seems like normal speed. What kind of camera are you using to capture these videos? I figured you were using at least 120 fps if not 240 fps. My personal camcorder records 240fps in fast mode (playback slow).
Thanks
Mike

30 fps is normal speed. At least all the videos on TennisOne and Virtual Tennis Academy are shot at 30 frames/second. At tennisplayer.net the video library is also at 30 fps, but of course John Yandell has been recently using high speed footage that is at least 200 fps. I'm not sure exactly, but it is amazing.

I just use a Cannon, but I had to play around with software settings to get 60 frames/second. Which camera do you have? I'd love to shoot at 240 fps!

Mike Cottrill
06-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I just use a Cannon, but I had to play around with software settings to get 60 frames/second. Which camera do you have? I'd love to shoot at 240 fps!

Jeff,
I’m no expert, but I think you are correct that 30ffps or 29.97 or something is normal for TV, interlaced. Your software is probably doing some de-interlacing to get the 60 fps. I just got my camcorder and I may have been duped by Sony :(. It is DCR-DVD505 DVD Handycam® Camcorder DCR-DVD505. They state the following:
From Sony’s site
“Smooth Slow Recording
By increasing the record rate from 60 fields per second (fps) to 240 fps for 3 seconds allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is great for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight.” One of the reasons I got it.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DCRDVD505&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_DVDHandycamCamcorder s (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DCRDVD505&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_DVDHandycamCamcorder s)

I just got the camera a couple of weeks ago and just got back from vacation, but I do have a few shots of Smooth Slow Recording of a backhand if you want to see what it looks like. The info from Sony says nothing about interlacing, but I noticed the picture quality is not as sharp as regular mode, so maybe they are playing around with the interlacing. After using this camera, it is far from the best, but very good for consumers. My friend is in the video business and his professional cameras are far better, but again 10k for one it should be.

BTW, your site looks good.
Thanks,
Mike

JCo872
06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the link to the camera. That is very interesting. I guess that "fields per second" are different than "frames per second", but I'm very curious as to how much detail that sony videocamera can get in the "smooth slow recording" mode.

I'd love to see the backhand example! If you can, shoot me an email at jco872@gmail.com

Thanks!! And thanks for the compliment on my site :)

Jeff